Volvo Dealer Tells A Porky About Electronic Handbrakes

team_kona

My Volvo v60 hit 3 years old this week so arranged to have its first MOT at the dealer I had been using in Hinckley, Warwickshire. It failed due to a bulge in the tyre. After waiting around for an hour to pick it up I was given the talk at the reception desk about other items they had found while failing the car.

The notes said that both the front and rear brake pads required replacement. I was told £170 for the front and £270 to do the rears. This seamed to be quite an expensive and at 46k miles I thought it odd that this was the second set on the rear. I was aware they needed doing anyway.

I then said thanks for your help but NO THANKS. Im sure I can get this done cheaper elsewhere, they didn't have any new tyres I stock either so said I would pay up and leave and that done elsewhere also.

That's when the PORKY was told, he said that you can "ONLY GET THE REAR BRAKES DONE AT A VOLVO DEALER" because of the ELECTRONIC HANDBRAKE, it needs to be plugged into a special computer and the brakes told to open. ........ I wasn't having this so asked a guy who work trucks near my office and he did some asking around at the local village garage. ..

Well to cut a long story short the Volvo main dealer LIED. They were replaced (with the use of the normal plug in computer system my local garage has, thanks Welford garage in Northants) within a few hours and also a set of decent tyre put on for a good price also saving me half the price of the main dealer.

One downside was that I didn't get a cup of the expensive coffee in the showroom and free tin of mints they usually leave in the car. Now thinking I might not get it serviced at a main dealer either as I usually do,as the V60 I have is due one every 12. 5k so it's an expensive luxury.

One reason they are called 'Stealers' instead of dealers ;)

H.

• Like 4

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

this may help others in the future.

http://www. volvoforums. org. uk/showthread. php?t=156629

mike

• Like 1

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

These horrible brakes are appearing on many new cars now so this won't just apply to Volvos,

The electronic handbrake has also caused some crossed words with me and the wife when I have asked here to "jump in the car and just move it out of the way" after un hitching the caravan, only for the car not to do a thing (as the tow hitch presses slowly into the bumper) all due to a factor of requiring the seatbelt to be on and Pedal pressed for the brake to come off. ...grrrrrr

• Like 1

A car dealer telling a lie?

How can that be? You've ruined my illusions!

Graham

• Like 5

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I'm sure I remember being told by Vauxhall that I had to use their oil. ..

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

These horrible brakes are appearing on many new cars now so this won't just apply to Volvos,

The electronic handbrake has also caused some crossed words with me and the wife when I have asked here to "jump in the car and just move it out of the way" after un hitching the caravan, only for the car not to do a thing (as the tow hitch presses slowly into the bumper) all due to a factor of requiring the seatbelt to be on and Pedal pressed for the brake to come off. ...grrrrrr

On our Passat it is the same as your Volvo,need to do seatbelt up first before electronic handbrake will release automatically.

But in order to move car without the seatbelt business it is just a matter of pressing a switch down to release the brake.

I love the electronic brake personally.

Ian

• Like 4

On our Passat it is the same as your Volvo,need to do seatbelt up first before electronic handbrake will release automatically.

But in order to move car without the seatbelt business it is just a matter of pressing a switch down to release the brake.

I love the electronic brake personally.

Ian

How are you supposed to do 'J' turns and handbrake turns?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I quite like the electronic handbrake. Especially towing.

Having to put the seatbelt on before the car will move forward is a bit of a pain and makes the V60 useless as a getaway car

• Like 1

Volvo XC60 Momentum Pro D4 pulling an Elddis Crusader Mistral

Even after 6 months ownership and 4,000 miles I still find the electronic handbrake to be a counter intuitive pain. To my mind it ought to be configured around the other way. Pressing it in to turn it on and pulling it out to release just seems to be the wrong way round.

There's also another issue in that the warning light is in a place where it's often difficult to see.

What I can't get over is that with a normal handbrake it was a standard part of my stopping procedure to engage the brake, I never really had to think about it. With the electric one I often find myself getting out of the car and realising I haven't engaged the brake. Luckily mine is an automatic and with the gearbox in 'P' it's not going anywhere, but on a manual that could be v dangerous.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Back on the OP.

When we were down in Cornwall in July I had my V70 looked at by the local Volvo dealer. They were v good and I posted on here about it. What I didn't say was that just after I left them I got an email with a video attached with the technician showing me problems he'd spotted on the car. He reckoned the rear brake discs were 'grooved' and needed replacing, along with the pads plus a couple of suspension bushes were on their way out. I can see the sense of using video for such a report but the pictures weren't exactly clear. Maybe before getting the guys to use technology like that they ought to teach them how to film clearly.

What concerns me is that our local Toyota dealer has been reporting that two front suspension bushes on Mrs SDA's car have been on the way out for the last four years. After the last time I took the car to a local, trusted non-franchise garage and they said the bushes were fine, just a little age deterioration on the exposed rubber surfaces, but the internal enclosed rubber, that actually does the job, will be perfect.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Audi's E brake is great and with the optional Auto hold I ordered its handy when towing or not.

Everything goes to Entropy . ......... In this world.

They're not all like that, I took my Peugeot into a place that fits parts and they offered me a free check, I like free.

They found that my front pads were below their recommended standard as well as the rear brake shoes, they kindly offered to do them and they would be able to fit them the following day.

Good service so I excepted their kind offer :)

The only hiccup was when they wanted me to pay, they couldn't find the records of me or the car on their system, however this was easily sorted as fortunately I had saved the paperwork from all those years ago and I had them with me.

The papers explained all about the free lifetime guarantee on brake shoes and pads :)

• Like 5

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Even after 6 months ownership and 4,000 miles I still find the electronic handbrake to be a counter intuitive pain. To my mind it ought to be configured around the other way. Pressing it in to turn it on and pulling it out to release just seems to be the wrong way round.

There's also another issue in that the warning light is in a place where it's often difficult to see.

What I can't get over is that with a normal handbrake it was a standard part of my stopping procedure to engage the brake, I never really had to think about it. With the electric one I often find myself getting out of the car and realising I haven't engaged the brake. Luckily mine is an automatic and with the gearbox in 'P' it's not going anywhere, but on a manual that could be v dangerous.

I would guess its that way round to avoid inadvertently pushing or knocking it releasing it accidentally. First electronic handbrake I have ever had and I think its a huge positive personally. Easy enough to release and if you don't want it on just leave in park as many do on level ground (I don't)

Its just getting used to something new - always feels awkward at first until it becomes second nature

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

I quite like the electronic handbrake. Especially towing.

Having to put the seatbelt on before the car will move forward is a bit of a pain and makes the V60 useless as a getaway car

Perhaps not convenient, but by far the safest getaway car!

:P

Trevor.

My Citroen C5 went in for a service with the local main dealer. Part way through the day they phoned me at work.

The car desperately needs front pads, rears discs and pads as they are 'cruded up'. We can have it done today for just £350 (this was 10 years ago).

I always keep on top of my own brake servicing so I knew none of this was true, the only thing which was getting worn were the front discs, and they had not mentioned them.

It did worry me enough to take ITT to an independent garage who confirmed my findings.

I declined. I have never been back.

Brakes are an easy earner and an emotive safety concern for the customer. I feel very sorry for the customers who are non mechanically minded as they make easy pickings.

My advice is to find an established local garage which comes recommended and build a relationship.

John

Edited by JCloughie
  • Like 2

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

My Citroen C5 went in for a service with the local main dealer. Part way through the day they phoned me at work.

The car desperately needs front pads, rears discs and pads as they are 'cruded up'. We can have it done today for just £350 (this was 10 years ago).

I always keep on top of my own brake servicing so I knew none of this was true, the only thing which was getting worn were the front discs, and they had not mentioned them.

It did worry me enough to take ITT to an independent garage who confirmed my findings.

I declined. I have never been back.

Brakes are an easy earner and an emotive safety concern for the customer. I feel very sorry for the customers who are non mechanically minded as they make easy pickings.

My advice is to find an established local garage which comes recommended and build a relationship.

John

Funny enough i had a similar issue when I got my brakes done on my C5 (the first model) . Citroen Dealership saying I needed new callipers and one of the hydraulastic balls needed replaced and suggested both should be replaced baring in mind the car was only 2 years auld.

Eh Nah !! Was the answer and will come and pick it up. Took it to my local garage in the village were they found no issues with the brake callipers and replaced the seals ( Oink ! Oink ! ) on the hydraulastic suspension pots. Reckon he saved me the best part of £500 and that was a few years ago.

Back on Topic I would contact Volvo head office and inform them about the fraudulent moves. I had an issue with a newly bought Volvo 940 Est bought from Volvo Perth. Lambda sensor issue and found the sales staff bordering on being arrogantly flippant which was a red rag to a bull when all I wanted was it fixed. After contact with Volvo's head office received a letter of apology and was told to pop into to the Showroom for some goodies but never did. Volvo and Citroen now on the "Hit List"....

GAS . .... :angry:

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

My wifes fiat 500 went in for its first annual service and they told her the brake shoes had worn about 30% and suggested replacing them but at a very reasonable £150. 00 plus parts. ...he was a bit shocked when I walk through the door to pick it up, needless to say we have never used them again and i told the service manager exactly what i thought of him.

Back to the OP sometimes the dealers do make genuine mistakes maybe they thought it was only there computer that could do it. ... I know thats what i would do if i was volvo. Lack of training maybe.

• Like 1

Two years ago when staying at caravan site 130 miles from home my tow car was towed to the nearest VW authorised workshop for the brake light switch to be replaced. I had self diagnosed the fault but had simply told the workshop the symptoms before they accepted the job.

Once in the workshop a complete so-called safety check was carried out and in addition to the faulty brake light switch, brake pads and worn tyres were flagged up as requiring imminent replacement. A radiator coolant leak was also identified. Needless to say I only had the brake light switch replaced.

Two years and services later with my trusted local motor engineer, not muckanick, after the loss of half a litre of coolant in 500 miles the radiator has been replaced. In answer to the question which I always ask before service "could you advise on the state of the brake pads", Karl said "do you actually use your brakes as there is no discernible sign of wear-again?" The tyres were replaced three months ago because one was destroyed by a piece of metal penetrating both the tread and sidewall.

My ML was subject to a recall to have the brake light switch replaced. I asked my local independent Merc fettler if they could do the job. I was told it took 20 minutes and the switch was a tenner but if they did it they could not update the online vehicle history, only a dealer could do that.

I booked it in to the local main dealer, it took them 3 hours and when it was ready they had done a "free" vehicle check and had a list of 43 items that needed attention.

First on the list was that one of the indicators was showing white light. I asked which indicator as the car has 6 (two front, two rear and two in the mirrors). They could not tell me so we went to the car, turned the hazards on and I than asked to be shown the faulty indicator. Needless to say they could not show me an indicator that was showing white light. Not even showing a trace of embarrassment the technician then wanted to discuss the other "faulty" items. As the car had passed MOT 7 days before without any advisory I decided not to waste anymore time.

My independent Merc fettler called me the following day and asked how many faults had been found, on hearing 43 they said that was not even close to the number the same dealer had found on an ML that belonged to a solicitor which was currently on one of their ramps.

The dealer had charged £1,800 + VAT to get this guy's ML though the MOT three weeks ago. They "did not have time" to do his brake light switch then so had it in subsequently. They flagged up 160 faults including 30 which had allegedly been MOT failures which they had already charged him to fix!

Cheers

Keith

My Volvo v60 hit 3 years old this week so arranged to have its first MOT at the dealer I had been using in Hinckley, Warwickshire. It failed due to a bulge in the tyre. After waiting around for an hour to pick it up I was given the talk at the reception desk about other items they had found while failing the car.

The notes said that both the front and rear brake pads required replacement. I was told £170 for the front and £270 to do the rears. This seamed to be quite an expensive and at 46k miles I thought it odd that this was the second set on the rear. I was aware they needed doing anyway.

I then said thanks for your help but NO THANKS. Im sure I can get this done cheaper elsewhere, they didn't have any new tyres I stock either so said I would pay up and leave and that done elsewhere also.

That's when the PORKY was told, he said that you can "ONLY GET THE REAR BRAKES DONE AT A VOLVO DEALER" because of the ELECTRONIC HANDBRAKE, it needs to be plugged into a special computer and the brakes told to open. ........ I wasn't having this so asked a guy who work trucks near my office and he did some asking around at the local village garage. ..

Well to cut a long story short the Volvo main dealer LIED. They were replaced (with the use of the normal plug in computer system my local garage has, thanks Welford garage in Northants) within a few hours and also a set of decent tyre put on for a good price also saving me half the price of the main dealer.

One downside was that I didn't get a cup of the expensive coffee in the showroom and free tin of mints they usually leave in the car. Now thinking I might not get it serviced at a main dealer either as I usually do,as the V60 I have is due one every 12. 5k so it's an expensive luxury.

Well to be honest it wasn't quite a "porky" . With some rear brake calipers with electronic handbrakes the manufacturers diagnostic equipment winds back the pistons within the calipers, allowing the fitment of new brake pads. Then this same equipment resets the parking brake position.

Now there are various independant brands of diagnostic equipment that will do the same but there's no guarantee if its accuracy. So it could be seen as the dealer only commenting on the equipment the manufacturer endorses. ;)

Edited by Silverback
  • Like 1

Well to be honest it wasn't quite a "porky" . With some rear brake calipers with electronic handbrakes the manufacturers diagnostic equipment whines back the pistons within the calipers, allowing the fitment of new brake pads. Then this same equipment resets the parking brake position.

Now there are various independant brands of diagnostic equipment that will do the same bit there's no guarantee if its accuracy. So it could be seen as the dealer only commenting on the equipment the manufacturer endorses. ;)

I have VCDS diagnostic for VAG cars that will do that.

http://www. ross-tech. com/products. html

Edited by Upyonder

Everything goes to Entropy . ......... In this world.