4 X 4's

shiba

Info for anyone interested, WatchDog tonight 7pm, Get 4x4's of the city roads.

Shiba.

6552[/snapback]

Here we go again. Perhaps Watchdog would like to investigate the impact of journalists stirring up the mud. No time for them, personally.

Just watched it???

I'm confused, chap on there reckons men drive 4x4's as there making up for something 'small' in another department. ...???

Now, proir to my Freelander (2 weeks old) I drove a BMW Z3, which people probably though either 1) hairdresser or 2) I have a small . .....

so now I have a 4x4 and the same is true??

Made me smile. .. :):):)

But I love my 4x4 no matter what anyone says. ...and my Z will brill too. .. don't knock what you have never driven.

Good job we are all different. ...size's and all ;)

Scott

Well I have just watched it. I have to say that Watch Dog is the only time I question my license fee, OK Top Gear as well!!!!

Seriously the trouble with programs like this is that they are like the front page headlines of the Sun or the Mail. They don't ofter any serious debate but just get people who know nothing about the subject on their high horse. I was just pleased that the journalist on the side of the 4X4's was singing the praises of the X-Trail.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Guest john1215

Watchdog just exisits to bring subjects toi the public eye that no one really gives a sdamn about - sometimes they have subjects worth watching most times they rake up dirt where it doesn't exist.

john1215

Last night my wife collected 5 children from school in our diesel 4x4 which returns an average of 30mpg. How is that more damaging than 2 or 3 parents making same journey?. I also read some research a few months ago in one of the sunday papers which said that per traveller, trains were worse polluters than cars. So regardless of the standards of public transport - I do my bit for the environment by not travelling by train. My second car is a 7 seater diesel people carrier which returns an average of 45mpg. In my view, moans about 4x4 drivers are from narrow minded inverted snobs who are just jealous that other people have bigger cars than them! Same goes for caravan bashers.

If it is to make up for the size of my manhood - I may have a small one but I have ************************************* (sorry- couldn't resist)

Post modified by a moderator (after he stopped laughing) tut-tut!!

Pete. b

moderator ;)

The REAL problem is those who just use them as a school bus!

I pass a school every day and they are a pain as not only are they big but the drivers do not know how to park or drive them. They cannot judge the width and need to drive down the middle of the road to avoid the parked cars.

You notice that 90% of them are clean and do not have a towball fitted, so are not offroaders or caravanners! Also, these are the ones that have the killer bull bars fitted!

This is what gives the 4x4 a bad name!

Roger

I own a car, a two wheel drive its a 2. 5, i could buy a bigger engine with two wheel drive, so whats the difference.

As for safety, if you are a good driver - it doesn't matter what you drive 4w4 or 2wd.

Maybe people who cross the roads need educating,What are young chavs/scrotes, doing on the roads some very young, their parents don't seem to mind, do they use pedestrian crossings as much as they should?, if they did accidents involving any type of vehicle will reduce.

As for parking most 4x4s are the same lenght/width as a large family car apart from they may be a little higher. The environment is under threat by so many means if only 7% of all vehicles in great britain are 4x4s they can't be a leader in pollution.

Guest john1215
The REAL problem is those who just use them as a school bus!

I pass a school every day and they are a pain as not only are they big but the drivers do not know how to park or drive them. They cannot judge the width and need to drive down the middle of the road to avoid the parked cars.

You notice that 90% of them are clean and do not have a towball fitted, so are not offroaders or caravanners! Also, these are the ones that have the killer bull bars fitted!

This is what gives the 4x4 a bad name!

Roger

6763[/snapback]

What has happened to freedom of choice - surely people can drive whatever car they like, the fact that they are clean could mean that their owners wash them regularly, it isn't difficult to do. By driving down the middle of the road they may be just giving room for some other clumsy driver to open a drivers door in their path, why should they have to have a towball fitted, they may well be caravanners who have a seasonal pitch for their van and the site owner moves the van in and out of storage - have 4x4's got a bad name??

john1215

I thought we lived in a democracy,obviously notI pay extra to drive my 4x4 about ie 28 to the gallon higher road tax,all extra revenue for the government to misspend.

leave us alone,Its our choice

Just watched it???

I'm confused, chap on there reckons men drive 4x4's as there making up for something 'small' in another department. ...???

But all the drivers the showed were women. :P

What does that say about them.

Watchdog must have little to report on if this is the best they can do attacking 4 x 4 drivers :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest MX51ROD

I think the discussion should be about the foot print of the vehicle as opposed to the fact it is 4X4 or not

ie a Roller occupies much more road space than a medium size 4X4

perhaps a size/weight limit should be the subject under discussion

And TD4 Sport forget the Z3 :rolleyes: , look at an MX5, better handling and much more reliable B)

edit to add, better looking as well :D

Maybe people who cross the roads need educating,What are young chavs/scrotes, doing on the roads some very young, their parents don't seem to mind, do they use pedestrian crossings as much as they should?, if they did accidents involving any type of vehicle will reduce.

6775[/snapback]

I am sorry but I think that sort of attitude gives all car drivers a bad name. Is that what you would what you would think of some 5 year old who has slipped out of the house and run into the road cause he is too young to know any better? I had one run out from behind a parked car. Thank God I didn't hit him. If I had and I had been doing over 30 or if I had had bull bars fitted? :(

On the issue of 4x4s how can they ban them? How do you define. ..a jeep. ...a Volvo V70 with 4 wheel drive?

If they will do anything it will be through the fuel duty so if your car is thirsty you will pay for the privilege. I think the debate is warming up (if you will pardon the pun) over green house gases and I wouldn't be surprised if something happens fairly soon. Even the oil companies are doing some serious work on other fuel sources.

GEOFF - See the full picture and not snippets,I was only stating that unsupervised children on roads give drivers extra problems,

if they were to use crossings less accidents will occur. They do pose problems for the safest of drivers, regardless of what we drive. I fyou feel i am insulting drivers by what i have said then your very confused.

I own a car, a two wheel drive its a 2. 5, i could buy a bigger engine with two wheel drive, so whats the difference.

As for safety, if you are a good driver - it doesn't matter what you drive 4w4 or 2wd.

As for parking most 4x4s are the same lenght/width as a large family car apart from they may be a little higher. The environment is under threat by so many means if only 7% of all vehicles in great britain are 4x4s they can't be a leader in pollution.

Geoff, read it again. m8 ;)

[Maybe people who cross the roads need educating,What are young chavs/scrotes, doing on the roads some very young, their parents don't seem to mind, do they use pedestrian crossings as much as they should?, if they did accidents involving any type of vehicle will reduce.

7954[/snapback]

The point I am trying to make is that sometimes a pedestrian ends up in front of a vehicle and its nobody's fault. ...the child is too young to understand as happened when I had a child in front of me. Also there are not always enough crossings, In my town we have two crossings only. In any case I know people will make a mistake. Pedestrians will always end up in front of cars, no matter how many times we tell them. Its human nature to occasionally do stupid things. It doesn't make you feel any better if you are the poor sod that runs them down.

What I wish we did have is a slower speed limit off the main roads. ..like 20 through the main housing areas. I noticed that they seem to do it in the big cities around schools . ...but can we get it round our schools?

To get back to the Watchdog Prog we were never going to have a decent airing of the issue. There were some valid points raised but it was spoilt by bthe contentious structure of the whole thing which prevented reasoned and rational discussion. Look at the way the presenter was trying to goad both representatives. The presenter cut his teeth on a Central TV programme that was called I think"Friday Night Live" or something. It was like a poor man's version of Jerry Springer and even the opening credits had a silhouette of an arguing figure. You don't stand a chance with that sort of presenter. They work on stereotypes ie. that all 4X4 drivers are selfish and don't give a damn about anyone else. Its just plain sensationalism.

Ban joy riders from going near schools,ban people with no insurance from going near schools,ban people with no car tax from going near schools. Or is that ilegal already,could have fooled me