Been reading through 'tyre topics' loads of talk about makes, pressures, maintenance, how often to change etc.

Also occasionally mentions year of manufacture being marked on tyres.

I have looked very carefully at mine and cannot find a date or code that makes sense to me.

Could someone please give a definitive statement on what to look for? I don't see anything like Aug 2011 marked, is there a special code?

Been reading through 'tyre topics' loads of talk about makes, pressures, maintenance, how often to change etc.

Also occasionally mentions year of manufacture being marked on tyres.

I have looked very carefully at mine and cannot find a date or code that makes sense to me.

Could someone please give a definitive statement on what to look for? I don't see anything like Aug 2011 marked, is there a special code?

It's 4 digits, 2 for the year and 2 for the week number - so Aug 2011 might be 3011

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Sometimes it may be on the 'inside' of the tyre.

The 4 digit code appears to be in a blick and I imagine that it is a removable rectangular block that is changed easily every month.

Graham

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

dot_tireinfo2.jpg

or this

age-hero-580-x-330.jpg

Edited by Honk
  • Like 2

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Well done Honk very good description!

I would love to take the credit, but Google is king in this case ;)

H.

On some of my caravan tyres, the info quoted has been on the back, doesn't make identification easy.

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

On some of my caravan tyres, the info quoted has been on the back, doesn't make identification easy.

Date is only on one side of the tyre. ....and sod's law says it's always the inner side!

Date is only on one side of the tyre. ....and sod's law says it's always the inner side!

Some tyres are "assymetric" so have to be fitted a specific way round with the side marked "outside" to the outside surprisingly enough

Some tyres are "assymetric" so have to be fitted a specific way round with the side marked "outside" to the outside surprisingly enough

So put the date stamp on the same side as 'outside'.

If a symmetric tread, put the date stamp on the side with the rest of the markings and put the tyre on the rim with the markings to the outside, too difficult?

So put the date stamp on the same side as 'outside'.

If a symmetric tread, put the date stamp on the side with the rest of the markings and put the tyre on the rim with the markings to the outside, too difficult?

Most of the markings are on both sides, from the mould - the date stamp is added later.

Most of the markings are on both sides, from the mould - the date stamp is added later.

The word 'outside' only appears on one side. ...one would think.

Most moulds have the date stamps as inserts within the mould, even so if the date is added after release from the mould, knowing the importance of tyre dating, it would seem logical that an added date should match with the 'outside' surface.

Over the course, I have seen dates randomly applied.

Edit: Just checked my tyres on one side, one has 'outside' and the date stamp visible, the other has 'direction' with no date stamp visible but the direction arrow is pointing for rearward rotation.

Never thought to check when fitted 12 months back.

Now if the tyre has 'direction of rotation', maybe dates should appear on both sides?

Edited by Griff

Edit: Just checked my tyres on one side, one has 'outside' and the date stamp visible, the other has 'direction' with no date stamp visible but the direction arrow is pointing for rearward rotation.

Never thought to check when fitted 12 months back.

Now if the tyre has 'direction of rotation', maybe dates should appear on both sides?

Is that two different tyres ?

Assymetric AND directional tyres are exceedingly rare as you need two types to fit one vehicle.

If the direction arrow is pointing for rearward rotation, you have it on the wrong side of the car !

Is that two different tyres ?

Assymetric AND directional tyres are exceedingly rare as you need two types to fit one vehicle.

If the direction arrow is pointing for rearward rotation, you have it on the wrong side of the car !

Both on the caravan BG, two different makes of tyre but with very similar tread patterns, same load/ speed spec.

The one with the rotation arrow on it would be OK on the side it's on but should have been put on the rim the other way around, does not have 'outside' on that one, just a direction arrow.

Direction should (must?) face forward as that is the main direction of travel. Unless you are a bad reverser then it won't matter which way round :D

H.

Must admit Honk, the tyre fitter did see how fast I reversed the van into the fitting bay. ;)

• Like 1

Both on the caravan BG, two different makes of tyre but with very similar tread patterns, same load/ speed spec.

The one with the rotation arrow on it would be OK on the side it's on but should have been put on the rim the other way around, does not have 'outside' on that one, just a direction arrow.

You either need to move that tyre to the other side of have it refitted.

For many years, I've deliberately avoided buying directional tyres because of limitations particularly when rotating tyres round to even out the wear - but the reality is that directional tyres can be, often are, better than universal tread patterns so I've finally changed and bought a set of directional winter tyres for my new car.

Interesting to read that the AA say:

If a directional tyre is fitted the wrong way round, the tyre won't be dangerous, but you won't gain any of the benefits of it's design.

Incorrect fitting of both asymmetric and directional tyres is a reason for MOT failure.

Also it says that asymmetrical tyres must be fitted in pairs.

H.

On site presently with the 'Griff Draughtmaster' draught and critter excluder fitted so can't see the info on the N/S tyres.

When I break camp will look at them and see if wheel swaps might get arrows pointing in a 'wagonnnnnns roooooll' direction. :)

Interesting to read that the AA say:

Also it says that asymmetrical tyres must be fitted in pairs.

H.

It actually states. ..

a tyre not fitted in compliance with the manufacturers sidewall instruction, e. g. an asymmetric with a sidewall marked ‘outer’ fitted with the marking to the inner side of the wheel.

A directional marking would also fall into this reason for failure.

There appears to be no requirement for fitment in pairs (on one axle)

Edited by beejay

last year we had a recall for our tyres on the caravan and as it was due for a service we asked the 'man' to do it for us as we couldn't find the number. Both tyres were okay but both were fitted with the numbers inside ( and the spare was okay as well )

If one was going to follow the CC advice and change tyres every 5 years, would one use the date on the tyre or the date of purchase?

I ask because there are obvious issues over different dates on the two (or more) tyres fitted and loss of use for tyres that were already a few months old when they were bought and fitted.

Adventure before dementia.

Saving for a Caravisio !!

If one was going to follow the CC advice and change tyres every 5 years, would one use the date on the tyre or the date of purchase?

I ask because there are obvious issues over different dates on the two (or more) tyres fitted and loss of use for tyres that were already a few months old when they were bought and fitted.

The tyre industry recommendation is 7 years from manufacture date - allowing for distribution and storage before sale, that equates roughly to 5 years use on the caravan.