Sign in to follow this  
Ondaroadagain

Please Talk Me Out Of Selling My Caravan And Buying A Mh

In the thread about ususual outfits, I posted a pic of a Hymer motorhome towing a caravan. We saw it in Luxembourg.

Most motorhomes would pull a caravan with ease providing the maximum train weight is not exceeded.

Russ

It was a personal observation. ... based on the comments thrown around on here and my 'experience on the

Hi Graham,

Your personal observation became public when you put it on a Forum, you even said you were prepping for a slatng. However no slating from me as we all gain an impression from those we meet, though I am not in favour of generalisation it is inevitable that we all do it occasionally. We all certainly suffer a 'sense of humour loss' occasionally so we can tend to take umbridge over such comments. Personally I will accept any label others want to hang on me, it doesn't usually bother me as I know the truth :D .

As for motorhomers, don't start me on being held up by them and their smug. .........................see what I mean :D !

Seriously back on topic, I love motorhomes ( I was joking earlier) and the idea behind them but I simply can't justify buying one due to the disadvantages for us. I went out looking with my friend and he bought an absolutely beautiful American Winnebago RV with around 50000 miles on it, for £7000. With a more substantial budget I would have had a vast range of choice and would have bought luxury. But the seasonal all year pitch that we have is on a site that has grass roadways and is on a slight incline which would mean the RV being sitebound for the winter. So once again I gave in to sense and bought the Hobby van.

So the decision is put off for another few years and I will remain a caravaner, albeit a happy one, for the forseeable future,

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

changed from a Caravan to a MH to share with mam & dad when mam was ill. ...

now back to a caravan.

in our eyes, the MH we had (Rapido 7. 4m, Island bed) was too small to live in, but too big to take to the shops!

we felt like we needed wheels when we got to site, but didn't have any

we averaged LESS mpg than we did when towing

there was less storage & more wasted space with the cab

it however was quicker (legally / safely) and was easy to set-up.

we wont be back to MH'ing any time soon.

We just made the leap from Caravan to MH. . We've been Caravanning for about 20 years and have always wanted to stop in more places during our trips out but the fuss of packing up always stopped us doing that so we found ourselves driving for miles and miles each day from our 'van which we'd pitched somewhere nice in the middle. . we barely saw the inside of it as we had so much we wanted to see. . We also had to have it in storage which made it that little more difficult to get away on a Friday after work as it added an hour to the set off time. .

Move to the motorhome, a "compact" one all the same, 6m long, 2 berth with some tie downs installed for the Dog's seatbelt - our first trip was to north Wales and we had to stop at a Poundstretcher and a Tesco for a bit of food and some clever storage and just parked up and walked in, 6m easily fit into the car parks there. . we had fish and chips in it on the sea front at Rhos-on Sea then moved to West Beach, Llandudno for a beautiful sunset - all this with room to walk around, "facilities", the ability to wash hands, put the kettle and sit on comfy seats instead of trying to find somewhere dog friendly and keeping the poor blighter under the table. . We went to a lighthouse and made soup and freshly baked rolls in the car park there and sat with the most gorgeous views. .

Yes, we had to pack up fully each time we wanted to move on but the cool storage from Poundstretcher made that easy peasy - we went back to a cheap as chips site to plug in to catch the 10 o'clock news. . Far better than being out in the car all day leaving everything behind - I also never have to worry about forgetting to put things in the car for the day as we take everything with us. .!

As already said and as we've found, the type of holiday you want to have will help you decide for the best but for us the MH is king for now so we can see more of this lovely country we live in, in far greater comfort than we would in the 'van. .

Good luck though. . I don't think you can go wrong whichever way you decide to go :DB)

Mandy

• Like 1

We bought a new 2013 Barcalona and last year got the chance of an Autotrail Cheiftain (2006). I bought it with the intention of turning it over but we used it over Christmas and enjoyed it. Still planning to sell in Jan then i used it for a couple of weekends for gliding when i couldnt use the car. Upshot was i sold the caravan instead. I bought a Fiat Panda with a Tow-a-car fitted and less than 30k on the clock for less than 2k. M/H does 26mpg at 60mph running with no car and 22 with. I have towed my glider round the country with it and the wee car when we have gone off for a few days. Bikes go on top of the Fiat

another plus is i use the Fiat at 48mpg rather than a Transit at 23MPG for personal use. post-31318-0-69096800-1445019418_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I presume the Chieftain is a Fiat too Dougie. For a moment there I had a vision of your bikes atop the motorhome :unsure: .

Sign in to follow this