Sign in to follow this  
Ondaroadagain

Please Talk Me Out Of Selling My Caravan And Buying A Mh

We are seriously thinking about selling the caravan and getting a motorhome.

Would be interested in the fors and against of buying a MH.

Thanks

Tim

Ok. ... Dont do it 😀

• Like 5

As someone who has experienced both, in the past here's a start to the list.

I'm sure many can add to it.

For:

1. Easier travelling without trailer speed limits being applicable.

2. Ideal for touring around large areas and stopping somewhere different every night.

3. Easily able to stop over at French motorway service areas/Aires overnight often for free.

Against:

1. If staying several days at one site, you can only go out by bike/public transport/ walking etc. unless you pack everything up each day. You then sometimes have to leave something on the pitch to make sure no-one else takes it before you return.

2. (More and More these days) Difficult to park when out, most car parks (even open ones) tend to have a height barrier to stop height vehicles gaining access.

3. Unless it's a very large motorhome, layout/living space tends to be slightly compromised compared to a caravan simply due to the need of the cab having to be in the front.

• Like 7

I've been having this debate with myself every couple of years for several decades - and stick with caravan.

The attraction of a motorhome for stops on long hauls, days out and wild camping in the Highlands are obvious, as well as reduced ferry fares - but all the other trips are better in a car, easier to get down narrow country lanes and in my case down rough tracks.

I could only make a motorhome work if I towed a car on a trailer as those that can be legally A-framed are too small - in that case a car towing a caravan is a better solution.

It's an individual thing, no right or wrong answer, as it depends completely on how you like to "camp".

• Like 2

why would you even be considering a M/H ? If you can answer this as your reason for changing and not the OH then you have your answer

Moderator comment:

Animated gif removed (see T&Cs)

why would you even be considering a M/H ? If you can answer this as your reason for changing and not the OH then you have your answer

Really helpful that. ....................................

Do you do hardstanding sites only. ..and need a bus stop? OK get a MH

Do you do rallies on fields. .and don't need a bus stop? Stay with a caravan

geoff

Been having this idea myself for a couple of years now as we do 2 x 3month stints in Spain/France a year we thought a M/H would be good the free aires and wild camping until we looked they seem very cramped albeit we do have a big T/A van that we can live in without awning etc we have got it down to a fine art now stop for 1 or 2 nights and not a lot of packing up to do to set off again we usually find a site and use it as a centre to tour the area we find the car is an essential part for getting around even when staying for longer periods you can get further afield

les

Go for it.

You forgot to mention that is to keep the caravan :rolleyes:

Any MH I have been in seems to be cramped in comparison to a caravan and for that reason I would not buy one.

As well as that I feel a caravan is more flexible so we can just go out in the car sightseeing and then return to an already set up caravan. Also doubling up on tax, insurance and fuel for a MH and a vehicle at home is an un-necessary expenditure.

Pete

Edited by BOAC

Really helpful that. ....................................

Gordon already put the link up to the previous thread where I made my point, so thinking that you had read this, my question, I believe was a valid point. Why would you be considering a M/H ? Only you have the answer.

btw your reply was unhelpful and unnecessary . .........................

Edited by joanie
  • Like 1

We started with a campervan, moved onto a motorhome and we're now on our fourth caravan.

Both the camper and motorhome were purchased with the intention of using them as my 'daily driver' and to save having to run a third vehicle.

In truth that worked because the camper was a tad under 16ft and the motorhome just under 20ft long. Although both were over 8ft tall. Maybe I was lucky in that I never had an issue with height barriers during the whole five years we ran them. Usually I was able to easily find an alternative parking spot, though multi-storey car parks were definitely out.

It was the very smallness of both that eventually drove us to caravans as we didn't want to trundle about in a bigger motorhome and also found that, depending on what you choose, a caravan plus car is much cheaper option than a motorhome plus another car and definitely more flexible. .

I tried a motorhome for a year and management didn't like the lack of space. When we came to try and sell, nobody would even offer me a half decent price. We lost a lot of money and really regret the adventure.

Motorhome:

More expensive to buy

More expensive to insure & compulsory

More expensive Road Tax, compared to car. (Possibly)

More expensive to run

Depreciates quicker

Has to be MOT'd after 3 years

More expensive to maintain.

A pain to park if you want to visit anywhere.

When it's off the road for vehicle repairs you can't tow with another car.

Caravan:

None of the above

• Like 1

An A class MH can be larger than a caravan as the caravan is restricted to 7 m long and the motorhome can be up to 12 m long.

IMO you need to chose if you go for a 6 - 7m c class motorhome and tour or go for a larger A class motorhome of 8 - 10m and tow a trailer and car . 10 - 12m will be restricted on sites by pitch size.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

An A class MH can be larger than a caravan as the caravan is restricted to 7 m long and the motorhome can be up to 12 m long.

IMO you need to chose if you go for a 6 - 7m c class motorhome and tour or go for a larger A class motorhome of 8 - 10m and tow a trailer and car . 10 - 12m will be restricted on sites by pitch size.

Dave

Don't ignore age/health - the larger motorhomes are over 3500kg and need C1 on the driving licence which may be revoked at age 70 if health isn't good.

We changed from a caravan to a campervan, then a medium sized motorhome - having them for about 8-1/2 years in total. Good for France, but UK didn't seem motorhome friendly for us. Unless you tow a car or carry bikes, it's either pack things away in the motorhome to go out, or public transport or walk.

Two things moved us back to a caravan:

1. In both cases the beds, which involved flattening out the front seats, were not really comfortable.

2. One day we decided to park the motorhome on the car park at the Talybont reservoir and take the lakeside walk. As we were locking up, the woman operating the ice cream van came over and advised us not to leave the vehicle there - " the lads from Merthyr Tydfil will be up on their mopeds and they'll be in it" I said that surely with people around this wouldn't happen, but she said these lads only got their wrists slapped and nothing changed.

We abandoned the outing, went back to our site and discussed the situation, as it is usually necessary to leave a motorhome in out of the way places, and everyone knows there are goodies to be had.

So we changed back to a caravan, where everything was in comparative safety on site. This was 15 years ago and we have never regretted our decision. Each will have his or her own opinion - this is ours.

When we were considering buying one and we came very close to buying a Kontiki from Brownhills (fortunately the salesmans pushiness put us off), that aside we went to motorhome shows to view them and to ask and seek advice from those who had motorhomes.

The people at the shows went into details and answered every question we asked, they explained all the plusses and minuses. It's perfect for some but it didn't tick enough boxes for what we wanted. The big one was for me was to be able to go to local rivers often down narrow lanes and to go site seeing without worrying about the size of the roads.

As Joanie says, ask yourself why you want one.

• Like 1

Hi

As a motorhomer, you know what I'll say, but on this trip I had an ex caravanner with me. He has concluded the motorhome is the way forward for him on his next purchase because:

1) No issues loading and payload.

2) We went places a caravan simply couldnt - mountain passes where towing was nigh on impossible (only route into Livigno is by mountain passes)

3) The free aires in France and Italy for motorhomes only - with hook up and fresh water

4) No pitching, legs, uncoupling.

5) This is a tour of five weeks, approx 3500 miles and about 15 different stop overs. .......

As a fairly expierenced motorhomer, I considered a caravan back in 2011, but my dinner set weighs more than the payload of most caravans!!!

Russ

PS - if you are ever near where I am touring, pop over for a coffee - look around my van, see what is what, there's no salesman here. Another member did just that - they bought a motorhome shortly after!

• Like 3

We made the move 11 months past and it's been a success, we tow a small car for the UK and when overwintering in Spain we hire a car which works out at £ 6 a day .

France was a dream to travel around with many Motorhome Aires often conveniently close to Towns and villages .

I would say go for it !! It's worked for us

I converted from a MH to a caravan earlier this year (after 10 years of MH)

I ran a 7. 5m Motorhome and towed a Smart car on a trailer. It worked well for a number of years but then we started looking at exactly what we did whilst away (a month at a time on the summer and every possible occasion outside that)

We tended to stay on ACSI sites for 5 or 6 days at a time and explore the region in Smartie. That was fine by Smartie is not the most comfortable of vehicles for any distance work. So we were using the tow ar as a caravan and the trailer (Smartie) as a car. That seems a little perverse so we decided to start looking at what a caravan would offer us over and above our (fairly substantial) motorhome.

We were great users of French Aires BUT a lot of them (but certainly not all) now charge almost as much as an ACSI site but without the facilities. Plus they are now getting very crowded. So we decided to discount that aspect when making our decision.

We quickly found that a caravan offers everything that a MH does in regards to habitation, in fact for a given size a little more because you don't have the cab area to accomodate in a caravan.

A MH is a (removed word) to park (note to mods we are all adults here so ther is no need to "censor") they are both wide long and tall and will NOT fit a "standard" parking bay.

With a MH you are reliant on either a towed car, bikes or public transport to get around once you have pitched up. With a caravan you have your tow at which WILL fit a parking bay.

With a caravan you can be pitched in out of the way locations because you have your transport system with you.

With a MH you have to pack EVERYTHING away prior to going off anywhere. With a caravan you can simply shut the door and take to the towcar.

You cannot fit a decent size/quality awning to a MH but you do usually get a roll out awning that is MUCH quicker than any caravan awning.

If away for any length of time you can utilise an awing with a caravan, set up home, and leave it all in place whilst exploring the area.

A MH is vastly more expensive than a caravan. It needs VED, an annual MOT etc A caravan should still be insured and that costs about the same as a MH does.

With a MH you can access some locations that would be "tricky" if you are towing a caravan.

You can "Wild camp" much more easily with a MH than you can with a caravan.

With a MH you can be set up and be relaxing quicker than you can with a caravan BUT you don't have to pack everything away in a caravan every time you go out.

So my advice would be to sit down and make a list of all the things you like and dislike about a caravan. Then do the same for a motorhome.

It's a very personal decision and one you will need to weigh up very carefully. Many people yo-yo between caravan and MH.

At the moment we feel that caravan suits the style and more importantly the way we go about taking, our holiday. It may well change in the future at which pint we may revert back to a (probably smaller) MH.

Andy

• Like 1

A MH is a (removed word) to park (note to mods we are all adults here so ther is no need to "censor") they are both wide long and tall and will NOT fit a "standard" parking bay.

Note to member. Not all adult members appreciate the use of bad language. I support the forum ruling that expects our posts to be clean.

Back on topic, We owned a succession of VW campers for years prior to our first caravan. They all fitted into our standard garage, would pass under most car park height barriers, and could be parked within a perking bay at the supermarket. They were all used a everyday transport and cost no more than a family car to tax, insure and run. The obvious shortfall was a lack of space, and yes things did have to be packed away before travelling, but as most things had dedicated storage cupboards, they were naturally put away after use anyway. Really the only thing we had to do before driving off was to lower the push-up roof. Unlike many larger motorhomes, it also stop level on its wheels, and the use of leveling ramps was very rarely necessary.

Our caravan offers more of a base, but does take a little longer to set up.

HappyTourer.

We made the change nearly three years ago and have not regretted it. We have a fairly large motorhome (7. 5mts) which is as comfortable in not more so than our previous caravans. We don't take it off site but tend to look for sites near to towns/villages/public transport, there are a surprising number. We are currently in France and have used four campsites so far. Three of those campsites have had motorhome aires nearby. As has been mentioned they were all chargeable but far less space and comfort compared to the campsites but some seem to prefer them for reasons I have not yet worked out!!! If its any help I have written a blog about the thought processes and concerns we had and you can read about them here http://www. davidklyne. co. uk/motorhome_blog. html Its not an easy decision and sometimes very borderline but its worth given some indepth thought to it.

David

You could rent a MH and give it a go. It could save an expensive mistake, it could help you confirm a change, and if that's the case it could help you decide on layout.

We've had the conversation so many times, and have a list of MH's and caravans to check out at the NEC next month.

Good luck in your deliberations.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this