Sign in to follow this  
mdhuxford

I'm Back After 30 Years, Wahoo!

Hello everyone,

As the title says, its been 30 odd years since i've been in a touring caravan, then i was one of the kids, but now i am one of the parents with our own kids. So today we have just taken the plunge and put down a deposit on our very own caravan. My golly haven't things changed in 30 years :)

So, I am after some help, advice, guidance and info like every other noob that joins a community site like this nowadays. This wasn't available 30 years ago.

As you'd expect i/we have done a heap of research relating to all aspect of getting and keeping our own caravan and im sure i'll be asking many more questions in the near future.

I am know this subject has risen its ugly head many times on sites like this and i'm sorry to bring it up again but i want some up to date information.

I have one main thorn in my side and that is to do with restrictive covenants. We will if we have to do so store the caravan at a storage site, but to be honest we would like to store our "new shiny adventure machine" at home because we have the room to do so. We also have a restrictive covenant on our deeds and it's not the type that says you cannot store a caravan at home. It says this "no caravans or boats shall be kept on the land unless screened to the satisfaction of the vendors representatives". I really don't think it could be any greyer than that. So my question is, has anyone had or known of anyone that has had a covenant like this enforced upon them?

I am very fortunate that all my immediate neighbours are totally fine with the idea of us storing a caravan at home beside our house surrounded with shrubs and trees. In addition to that my local planning office has no objections either, but like in most streets everyone has a grumpy moo and im convinced i have the worlds worst.

So i would like to hear the views and factual stories from people who may have been in the same if not similar situation.

Many thanks for your time

Mark

How long has your house been built? It's the site developer who put on the restrictions and usually after a year or two, they move on and loose interest. If anyone complained it's up to the developer to take action. Chances are they wouldn't be bothered.

• Like 1

Welcome back!

If all the houses on your estate have been sold by the original developer, then it's unlikely that any such covenant would be enforced - and even less likely if you own the freehold. At worst, you could be required to remove the caravan.

The estate I lived on until recently had such a covenant but many of us just ignored it - there are other equally pointless covenants about not running a business from home or parking a commercial vehicle in the drive - they're there for the developer to ensure a nice looking estate but once they've sold them all they no longer have any financial interest.

Edited by Black Grouse

Welcome back!

If all the houses on your estate have been sold by the original developer, then it's unlikely that any such covenant would be enforced - and even less likely if you own the freehold. At worst, you could be required to remove the caravan.

The estate I lived on until recently had such a covenant but many of us just ignored it - there are other equally pointless covenants about not running a business from home or parking a commercial vehicle in the drive - they're there for the developer to ensure a nice looking estate but once they've sold them all they no longer have any financial interest.

+1 Exactly the same here!

When we first got a caravan many years ago, I spoke to the Planning Officer at the local council.

He advised there was a Covenant in the deeds, which was put in by the builder to make sure that he didn't have a problem selling houses on the estate due to caravans being parked.

PO advised that as the estate had been completed some time the builder would now have no interst in enforcing the covenant, and if a neighbour wished to do so, it would cost him money going to court and was unlikely.

PO advised me to contact those neighbours who would actually see the van where it was to be parked, and ask their view, and if no one objected, just get on with it.

Thats what I did, only one neighbour raised a concern about screening, so I screened as he had suggested, and did it.

Edited by hp100425ev

Have got on well with my neighbours for years. ..that is until I bought a caravan and plonked it on my drive. I checked that the covenants on the house when it was built in the sixties didn't stop me from parking it there, but my neighbour was most indignant and insisted I couldn't. As his house is the same age I suggested he check his facts before blowing. He did so and was fine after that. Just shows though people can change quickly. I would urge you to screen it as well as you can. It'll be easier for you in the long run and it's more secure anyway

Welcome! Just as i'm leaving touring temporarily at the end of the season to go back to canvas due to work etc someone fills my space!

Round here no one bothers what you've got outside and I must have very good neighbours if they never complained about me having several project caravans outside the house, one at a time obviously! If you see my blog you'll see what I mean!

Anyway as said I thimk it's the developer who would have to tell you to shift the caravan into storage from your drive but as said if it was years ago no one really bothers. Plus if your neighbours are ok with it I can't see it being a problem keeping it at home. Round here it's a bit of live and let live.

There are lots of new builds popping up and i've heard of people not being allowed caravans, boats, trailers, work vans, even the BT man coming to fix a phone line having to park elsewhere, ridiculous!

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts. The house is 30 years old and the original builder Heron homes no longer really exists as this type of house builder they were back then.

With regard to the planned screening, its going to be hedge and large shrubs, but as you can imagine that wont appear over night. In addition to this we plan to place the caravan beneath a tree and from day one it will be kept under a green cover to stop the bird pooping in the van roof, this will also reduce the shock to the street of a large white box appearing.

I think that's all we can do really and visually showing a willingness to screen it will hopefully help. The earliest it will arrive is December so the reduced daylight hours will work in our favor too.

In the event we receive a formal letter from someone, which one do we take seriously, from a court im guessing?

Once again thanks

Mark

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts. The house is 30 years old and the original builder Heron homes no longer really exists as this type of house builder they were back then.

With regard to the planned screening, its going to be hedge and large shrubs, but as you can imagine that wont appear over night. In addition to this we plan to place the caravan beneath a tree and from day one it will be kept under a green cover to stop the bird pooping in the van roof, this will also reduce the shock to the street of a large white box appearing.

I think that's all we can do really and visually showing a willingness to screen it will hopefully help. The earliest it will arrive is December so the reduced daylight hours will work in our favor too.

In the event we receive a formal letter from someone, which one do we take seriously, from a court im guessing?

Once again thanks

Mark

If it's a formal letter from a private individual or the local council, I'd suggest you meet them to understand their concerns and see if more screening or re-positioning would reduce their concerns. If it's from a solicitor or court then you'd need to get legal advice.

Sounds to me that the vendors representative is the only one who can say the caravan is not screened to their satisfaction.

If the company no longer exists, it cannot have a representative to be dissatisfied!

Ergo, no one can complain!

• Like 1

Lol, my house is ex council, it has a covenant that says no vehicle/caravan etc shall be kept on the grounds. ...

Um. .. Nobody cares in a council estate 😀

We have lovely neighbours, in fact there was a garage in our garden in the 70s.

Hence the concrete base in the garden.

DSC_0045_zpsfc3bojvv.jpg

We had the same problem when we first moved, we only wanted to leave it there until we found a

some where to store it but as the builder was no longer trading it was ok.

Your house insurance may have 'legal expenses cover' within it - you can call the legal helplines and discuss the receipt of any written objections, Council letters or Solicitors letters free of charge.

IMO if your neighbours are ok with a van on your drive then fine BUT if they object then I feel you should park the van elsewhere.

To take the attitude well theres nothing in law that says I am unable to park my caravan on my drive so I will do regardless of what my neighbours think is an arrogant and rude attitude to take. You do not want to find nasty scratches on your pride and joy that have appeared overnight. I know some one who did,not me though.

The covenant on my deeds says, No roundabouts, swings, houses on wheels or wheeled sleeping vehicles allowed on the land.

I've taken no notice for the last thirty years and nobody is any the wiser.

IMO if your neighbours are ok with a van on your drive then fine BUT if they object then I feel you should park the van elsewhere.

To take the attitude well theres nothing in law that says I am unable to park my caravan on my drive so I will do regardless of what my neighbours think is an arrogant and rude attitude to take. You do not want to find nasty scratches on your pride and joy that have appeared overnight. I know some one who did,not me though.

Malc, I couldn't agree more, hence why my wife and I spoke with every neighbour that over looked our intended storage spot before we even made the purchase of the van. Everyone of them was happy for us to go ahead, in fact some of them wished they had the room to do the same.

As i have said already, pretty much every street has a busy body who like to kick up the dust given the chance and that why i like to do my homework first and get real facts from real people who could be or have been in similar situations.

So to date, because of the planning requirement in my neighbourhood everyone in our road has been formally made aware of our intent, we have spoken to the immediate neighbours that over look us for their concerns, not one objection.

I'm now going to enjoy our family time with the new van and get comfort in knowing that i have given everyone in our neighbourhood the chance to speak up.

Mark

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this