Sign in to follow this  
Styve100

Adding Extras To Alde System, Where To Plug In.

I recently added a power monitor to my Alde system but on exposing the pcb and having routed the cable in, I thought it would be obvious where to plug in, no instructions with the power monitor.

Fortunately after scouring the Internet and finding a drawing, which by the way is at the end of the concise manual by the cut out drawing, I saw that the connection drawing is also on a sticker on the back of the black wiring cover which clips on the back of the controller. So there's your tip. It shows the 5 possible connections although I have no idea what a 'colour sensor' is for !

Where did you fit the loop and how did you route the cable to the control unit (did you have to extend the wires?)

I thought it was on the control panel on mine but it was on the actual boiler. I found out after I had routed it. :-(

I thought it was on the control panel on mine but it was on the actual boiler. I found out after I had routed it. :-(

Just done a bit of research and yes you are right it does appear to go to the boiler rather than the control unit

Just done a bit of research and yes you are right it does appear to go to the boiler rather than the control unit

Must be for a different controller than I have?

It is working, I am currently on a 10A outlet, set the Amp menu to 10A. We are using the kettle etc and haven't tripped yet.

I 'think' amp is displayed when the boiler is knocking back the power.

Where did you fit the loop and how did you route the cable to the control unit (did you have to extend the wires?)

Fit the loop in the consumer unit, put the main incoming live wire through it, there is 6M on the lead so plenty to get to the controller, I only needed about 1. 5M but depends where your controller is in relation to the consumer unit. You can loop the live through the CT anywhere however, so if you needed to position it elsewhere but the consumer unit you can.

Must be for a different controller than I have?

It is working, I am currently on a 10A outlet, set the Amp menu to 10A. We are using the kettle etc and haven't tripped yet.

I 'think' amp is displayed when the boiler is knocking back the power.

Fit the loop in the consumer unit, put the main incoming live wire through it, there is 6M on the lead so plenty to get to the controller, I only needed about 1. 5M but depends where your controller is in relation to the consumer unit. You can loop the live through the CT anywhere however, so if you needed to position it elsewhere but the consumer unit you can.

Looking at your other post you have the rectangular control unit (and possibly a 3010 system?). I've got the 3020 with the square colour control unit which may explain the difference

In my opinion, Alde 'extras' are grossly overpriced. The least they could do is supply an idiots guide to fitting. Perhaps including pictures and/or videos.

For customers to need to do internet research in order to fit them is just wrong.

John

• Like 1

In my opinion, Alde 'extras' are grossly overpriced. The least they could do is supply an idiots guide to fitting. Perhaps including pictures and/or videos.

For customers to need to do internet research in order to fit them is just wrong.

John

i agree you are correct, in my old days as a Saab nut, its how the swedes operate. Fitting extras on Saab's was just as entertaining, however in those days there was no internet.

John

I shouldn't have any issues with the actual installation as I'm an aircraft engineer so happy in that respect, however always good to ask those that have done it before.

Agree this seems way overpriced for what it is, however, unless you know the number of wire turns in the loop at the end you wont be able to replicate it and get an accurate reading of the mains current.

I shouldn't have any issues with the actual installation as I'm an aircraft engineer so happy in that respect, however always good to ask those that have done it before.

Agree this seems way overpriced for what it is, however, unless you know the number of wire turns in the loop at the end you wont be able to replicate it and get an accurate reading of the mains current.

I was talking generally when I suggested an 'idiots guide'. Its just a term to describe clear instructions usable by anyone, I was not suggesting you are the idiot, sorry if I caused offence.

I think ammeters which sense from a ring around the live wire are common place, I have one provided free by my electricity company.

I feel sure that Alde provide quality parts and accessories, but definatly overpriced. The battery back up is the best example. Why is it the system can remember the offset but not the time! Battery holders in Maplin are very cheap. So the customer is expected to fork out 10 or 12 pound plus p&p for something which, in my opinion, should have been standard equipment.

I refuse to buy one out of principle.

John

Ok I'm lost. ......why do you need a battery backup. ....? Surely the system is linked to the caravan battery so that would support a memory even when the mains power is off. ....?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree. ..?

Tim

I was talking generally when I suggested an 'idiots guide'. Its just a term to describe clear instructions usable by anyone, I was not suggesting you are the idiot, sorry if I caused offence.

John

No offence taken (didn't even think it could have been taken offensively until you mentioned it!). I've also made my own backup battery holder.

Hint for ALDE - if you sell them at a realistic price you would probably sell a whole lot more and still make a reasonable profit!

Ok I'm lost. ......why do you need a battery backup. ....? Surely the system is linked to the caravan battery so that would support a memory even when the mains power is off. ....?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree. ..?

Tim

Barking up the wrong tree I'm afraid, if you set the clock and then turn your battery master off the clock setting will be lost. Battery back up keeps the clock running when the main battery is turned off. If your clock keeps time then you may find that whoever installed the system has included one as standard (which it should be anyway but some manufacturers treat them as optional)

I think ammeters which sense from a ring around the live wire are common place, I have one provided free by my electricity company.

I feel sure that Alde provide quality parts and accessories, but definatly overpriced. The battery back up is the best example. Why is it the system can remember the offset but not the time! Battery holders in Maplin are very cheap. So the customer is expected to fork out 10 or 12 pound plus p&p for something which, in my opinion, should have been standard equipment.

I refuse to buy one out of principle.

John

Well mine kept loosing the power for the clock. I checked the battery clips and feel they are of poor quality, but that was not the reason for the clock loosing its power, I removed the white connector block at the rear to find it was very loose, I had to push the connections out of the holder and make them tighter, it now "clips" in better. No power loss now

I do feel this is a rip off price say the battery pack is £2 at the most, £2 for the wire and £1 for the connector +5% profit £5. 25 then say £1. 50 Post, total cost £6. 75. Bit different to the £18+ I paid. I know they have got to make a profit but. ........

Why they did not fit a rechargeable battery within the panel is beyond me

Edited by kiaboy
  • Like 1