Sign in to follow this  
The 2 Tops

Wall-Mounted External Radio Aerial.

Within the first 12 months, the radio aerial on the side of our 2012 van snapped off. This happened as I eased it out for cleaning. The ball joint at the base was too stiff for the thin wall of the hollow tube to withstand it being moved. It isn't a problem as we don't use the in-built car-type radio, but it does make me wonder why this type of aerial is necessary. The radios of cars have to operate in all types of terrain and with constantly changing of direction, yet their aerials are so unintrusive as to be almost unnoticeable. If the caravan radio is used, it is whilst in a static situation, so why piece of protruding hardware?

The aluminium body of the caravan acts as a screen to the radio signals,

so the makers put the aerial on the outside. Mine is a Status and has

a built in fm radio aerial.

Has one on the side of my last 3 vans and never used it yet, so I guess its likly to be stiff by now. though the Status also acted as a radio aerial anyway.

The aluminium body of the caravan acts as a screen to the radio signals,

so the makers put the aerial on the outside. Mine is a Status and has

a built in fm radio aerial.

Are you referring to the two collapsible rods that extend from each side of the Status aerial? We had these on our previous van, but have been discontinued on the Status model of our 2012 van. Also, in the six years of owning this van, I never discovered any cabling linking the Status aerial to the radio.

According to Grade's information supplied with our previous van, these aerials had nothing to do with radio signals, but were for receiving TV VHF signals in certain countries in Continental Europe. This is confirmed by this small, external aerial being fitted in addition to the Status TV aerial. Why would they fit both if the Status aerial also supplied the signal to the radio?

Regarding the van body screening radio signals, many car-derived vans have the same aerials as do their car counterparts, and do not suffer from screening of the signals. My own view is that, by fitting this external aerial adjacent to the radio in the caravan (as our vans have always been located), this makes for a quicker and cheaper method of installing for the van manufacturer. I think this radio aerial is relic of the days when caravans had the more simple and less effective Omni-directional aerials, or no aerial at all.

Are you referring to the two collapsible rods that extend from each side of the Status aerial? We had these on our previous van, but have been discontinued on the Status model of our 2012 van. Also, in the six years of owning this van, I never discovered any cabling linking the Status aerial to the radio.

According to Grade's information supplied with our previous van, these aerials had nothing to do with radio signals, but were for receiving TV VHF signals in certain countries in Continental Europe. This is confirmed by this small, external aerial being fitted in addition to the Status TV aerial. Why would they fit both if the Status aerial also supplied the signal to the radio?

Regarding the van body screening radio signals, many car-derived vans have the same aerials as do their car counterparts, and do not suffer from screening of the signals. My own view is that, by fitting this external aerial adjacent to the radio in the caravan (as our vans have always been located), this makes for a quicker and cheaper method of installing for the van manufacturer. I think this radio aerial is relic of the days when caravans had the more simple and less effective Omni-directional aerials, or no aerial at all.

You are right about TV VHF but my last two vans have had the radio connected to the TV Aerial (Status) amplifier. Works fine.

You are right about TV VHF but my last two vans have had the radio connected to the TV Aerial (Status) amplifier. Works fine.

That's interesting - haven't checked out the arrangement in our 2012 van - but it seems like overkill if it has both the (now broken :( ) radio aerial on the side wall and receives a radio signal from the Status aerial. A bit more close furrowing in the handbook looks to be needed - purely out of interest though, as we don't use this radio except, rarely, for the occasional CD.

If you know so much why ask the questions? :D

If you know so much why ask the questions? :D

What a pointless response!

I do not claim to know everything. There are some aspects about theses aerials that are at variance to what I would have expected, so I have highlighted them so that others can offer their own opinions/findings.

So, what's the problem - why get personal?

• Like 1

Never had an external aerial on our previous vans, but there is one on our Lunar(2010) why? The earlier Baileys didn't have one. It drives me mad in a poor reception area when its raining to get out to extend the aerial! Rant over

That's interesting - haven't checked out the arrangement in our 2012 van - but it seems like overkill if it has both the (now broken :( ) radio aerial on the side wall and receives a radio signal from the Status aerial. A bit more close furrowing in the handbook looks to be needed - purely out of interest though, as we don't use this radio except, rarely, for the occasional CD.

The Status 530 (Directional - NOT flying saucer) has been in use for many years although now superseded. The 530 has a coax input for radio. An expert will have to answer whether or not TV and Radio are or are not transmitted from the same transmitter - if not then can understand the separate facility.

SamD, our previous 2006 van had the Status directional aerial (which also accepted digital signals as was confirmed by Grade), and had the VHF extendable aerials. Our 2012 van has the same Status directional aerial (don't know if it's a 530 or an upgrade), but does not have the VHF attachments. If yours does have an integrated radio aerial, this will be on a different frequency to the TV side of things. Don't know about TV and radio being from the same transmitter - that situation could vary according to local arrangements. Whatever the situation, setting up would be primarily be to get the optimum signal for the TV - I don't think the radio bit is that directionally sensitive.

Must see if there is any further information in our van handbook.

I snapped mine off the first time we used the van (a new Lunar Clubman) It extended ok on arrival at our pitch, but when we were packing up I simply moved it into its closed position and it just broke off. Bought a replacement on line and fitted it myself. Lesson learned and I'm more careful now.

SamD, our previous 2006 van had the Status directional aerial (which also accepted digital signals as was confirmed by Grade), and had the VHF extendable aerials. Our 2012 van has the same Status directional aerial (don't know if it's a 530 or an upgrade), but does not have the VHF attachments. If yours does have an integrated radio aerial, this will be on a different frequency to the TV side of things. Don't know about TV and radio being from the same transmitter - that situation could vary according to local arrangements. Whatever the situation, setting up would be primarily be to get the optimum signal for the TV - I don't think the radio bit is that directionally sensitive.

Must see if there is any further information in our van handbook.

Sorry I was not clear. The extending VHF aerials are nothing to do with radio. The 530 came in two guises - purple lettering had the amplifier in the head unit whereas the later version with orange lettering had it in the power box. I suspect only the later version covered radio as well as TV. If yours is a 2012 van it will almost certainly have orange lettering and be radio-capable.

Although almost all amp/power boxes show different outlets for TV: Radio, certainly Teleco, Fringe Electronics and, I think, Status, the outlets are the same for both TV and Radio. In other words use any for any!

SamD, Our 2012 van has the Status 530 which the handbook states to be Status 530 Directional TV and FM Radio Antenna. (model dependent). It doesn't say whether 'model dependent refers to the aerial or the caravan itself.

Looking on line though, there are two later Status aerials - 570 and 580 - and both have a dedicated radio connection. These two aerials have distinctively different profiles to the 530, so when I see a caravan with one of these aerials fitted it will be interesting to see if the little external side aerial is also fitted, or not.

On the subject of the radio in our van, why have they provided a remote control, when it is fitted behind the door of a roof locker, so that you have to get up to open and close the roof locker door. Or do you leave it open so that a tall guy can take out his eye on the corner of the door?

• Like 1