Sign in to follow this  
Ledzep

New Or Used

I know there are pros and cons to buying a new or used caravan but does anyone have views on wether they would prefer a new or used car as a tow car? I tend to go for mondeos up to now but fancied a change so am considering a nissan cash cow, I don't do a lot of mileage and am considering the 1. 6 ntech petrol which should be sufficient to pull a van such as a lunar 462 or the like, but do I treat myself to a new car which I have never done before or go for a new motor?

Used for me as I could never afford the depreciation on new cars. So just as well we all have differing opinions!

• Like 1

i personallyi wouldnt buy a brand new car, the minute you sign for it and drive off the price depreciates.

mindy

. ..got me thinking now. ..!

i personallyi wouldnt buy a brand new car, the minute you sign for it and drive off the price depreciates.

mindy

It only depreciates if you sell it!

New vehicles don't really do wrong, and if they do, it's someone elses problem. Service costs are fixed for the first few years so no nasty suprises Money to buy on finance has never been so cheap. Above all else. ..You know where the car has been before you owned it!

It only depreciates if you sell it!

New vehicles don't really do wrong, and if they do, it's someone elses problem. Service costs are fixed for the first few years so no nasty suprises Money to buy on finance has never been so cheap. Above all else. ..You know where the car has been before you owned it!

every one has got their own opinion

mindy

Somebody needs to buy new cars so that people like me have something to buy in 10years time, so Id say go for it, go new. ;)

• Like 3

It only depreciates if you sell it????????????

I have sold every car I've ever owned except the current one, and it's days are numbered.

Don't understand the 'only if you sell it' line.

Quote " New vehicles don't really do wrong"

OH YES they DO,(ask Green Flag who towed my brand new vehicle in 32 times before I crushed it ) and especially anything with Renault parts (and the Nissan uses a Renault power plant)

Quote " and if they do, it's someone elses problem"

No it is not just "someone elses problem"

Its your problem as you are without your car, having had to wait anything up to 2 hours for recovery from some far flung place that they choose to break down!!!!!!

P. S After crushing the car, I dumped the "lump" back on the dealers forecourt.

Edited by Brecon
  • Like 3

. ..so I guess it's a rethink on the nissan if it uses dodgy Renault power plant. ..

Depends what matters to you - if cost overshadows everything, buy secondhand - if function/specification, buy new with a factory order

It's a good feeling having a brand new one.

If money not a problem go for new, well I would.

. ..i was going to say nobody has criticised my choice of car and/or fuel type. ..yet. ..

Low mileage demonstrators for me.

Recent acquisition had only 1983 miles on when I first sat in it.

Low mileage demonstrators for me.

Recent acquisition had only 1983 miles on when I first sat in it.

. ...what was the difference in price from that and a ordered new motor?

Bought new,quite happy.

Life's too short.

Get what you are happy with.

Ian

• Like 1

Go out for a test drive first if you like ask price to buy, then price for PCP

Return in December, if you like the car, about the 18th and ask for a deal then.

Don't take first thing they offer !

Steve

Go for nearly new cars - many deals out - particularly when new models are due.

Go for the diesel if you must have a Cumquat. After a disaster with an Espace I'm wary of French cars.

We now have our new cars on Personal Contract Hire. Very liberating, we've been running our present barge, a Kia Sorento KX-2 auto for 18 months, brilliant towcar and economical too with a tuning box fitted. With the VAT just under £400 / month. There are cheaper options out there. I'm currently hiring a Citroen Nemo for my business.£120/ month. I'm wary of it being French but its under warranty and it goes back in 18 months time and so far has only let me down twice in its first 6 months (immobiliser problem).....otherwise is quite a good little van.

Look at the hiring options, as some respectable financial guru said. "if it appreciates buy it, if it depreciates, rent it"

Go for the diesel if you must have a Cumquat. After a disaster with an Espace I'm wary of French cars.

We now have our new cars on Personal Contract Hire. Very liberating, we've been running our present barge, a Kia Sorento KX-2 auto for 18 months, brilliant towcar and economical too with a tuning box fitted. With the VAT just under £400 / month. There are cheaper options out there. I'm currently hiring a Citroen Nemo for my business.£120/ month. I'm wary of it being French but its under warranty and it goes back in 18 months time and so far has only let me down twice in its first 6 months (immobiliser problem).....otherwise is quite a good little van.

Look at the hiring options, as some respectable financial guru said. "if it appreciates buy it, if it depreciates, rent it"

I do the same with Audi. Just over £300 per month for a brand new 2 litre Q3.
  • Like 2

+1 for leasing. New car feel and smell with full warranty and satisfies my OCD. I dont wonder what has happened to it before I had it or who has 'tried out' the demo car. Also i can spec it how i want and theres not the 'oh dear sir, its a shame it wasnt bright yellow with black stripes as theres no call now for silver ones' type discussions when time comes to sell - if i want a sky blue one with pink spots on then that what I have. Also you know when it is going back and as long as you have looked after it, no additional costs and im not worried about depreciation.

I do think this way costs a bit more but it suits me plus the large chunk of cash stays in the bank set against my off-set mortgage and dribbles out each month.

Its horses for courses and we all look upon our cars differently, I do not think there is a right way or a wrong way or a 'one size fits all' answer to your question.

. ...what was the difference in price from that and a ordered new motor?

New list price £38,250 (could have had £2000 discount on ordered new)

Demo £31,950, including supply and fitting of 13 pin towbar, fully wired for caravan.

New list price £38,250 (could have had £2000 discount on ordered new)

Demo £31,950, including supply and fitting of 13 pin towbar, fully wired for caravan.

. ..a significant difference, might be worth asking. ..

I was 54 years old when I could afford to buy a new car. Still got it but have bought three others new to share with the missus. Love the smell, knowing I'm the first owner and the peace of mind of a long warranty.

Sign in to follow this