How To Get Van Warm Asap In Cold Weather

the jarvs

hi we are going away this weekend in our new van. its a bailey senator carolina. the dealers showed us around the van last weekend when it was bitterley cold. the first thing they did was put the heating on. but a good hour later it was still pretty chilly. its a electic / gas heater they used electric.

we have three small children so will obviously want to gey warm asap. any tips on what we should do. should we buy another heater?

any tips please

sarah

Hi Sarah,

I used my van (Sterling Europa 525) this weekend and found the heating to be pretty good. Rather than using the blown air I used the front heater as I found the heat to be more intense. An hour does sound like a long time - but then what do I know?

I have a Bailey Senator Arizona Millennium Edition which is fitted with a Carver 550 Fan master which can operate on both gas and electric at the same time. On electric the heater will only give 2kW where as on both gas and electric it will give out 5. 50kW

I presume the Truma fitted to your Carolina will be of similar design and output so you should be fine.

I suggest you get the Caravan Manual out and read up on its operation.

Desperado

I have a Bailey Senator Arizona Millennium Edition which is fitted with a Carver 550 Fan master which can operate on both gas and electric at the same time. On electric the heater will only give 2kW where as on both gas and electric it will give out 5. 50kW

I presume the Truma fitted to your Carolina will be of similar design and output so you should be fine.

I suggest you get the Caravan Manual out and read up on its operation.

Desperado

6553[/snapback]

Yes that is how we used to use the one in our champagne and it certainly gets warm and quick the hob idea is ok but if you have young kids and they happen to through any items of clothing or toys near the hob it could become a fire hazard as it is a naked flame unless you put the kettle on to boil as well at least it will cover the main part of the flame and give you a hot drink to help warm you up

Guest MX51ROD

I would be very wary of using the gas hob to heat the van, with windows shut, the CO level will rise very fast, and the result deadly

Stick to running the caravan heater on dual fuel until up to temp

or keep a wooly on until warm

For instant heat you can't beat a Halogen heater. Get one that will give you 400w,800w or both on for 1200w. Very,very efficient. An elderly neighbour of mine was given one of these recently and it is amazing. I intend to buy one myself to use in the van or in the garage. They can also be used as a humidifier. :)

Frank

hi we are going away this weekend in our new van. its a bailey senator carolina. the dealers showed us around the van last weekend when it was bitterley cold. the first thing they did was put the heating on. but a good hour later  it was still pretty chilly. its a electic / gas heater they used electric.

we have three small children so will obviously want to gey warm asap. any tips on what we should do. should we buy another heater?

any tips please

sarah

6546[/snapback]

Sarah,

Use the gas first as it heats up very quickly indeed. You can switch the electric on with this and then turn the gas off once up to temparature.

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

I would be very wary of using the gas hob to heat the van, with windows shut, the CO level will rise very fast, and the result deadly

Stick to running the caravan heater on dual fuel until up to temp

or keep a wooly on until warm

6575[/snapback]

Exelent saftey point . ..well done! Ste ;)

Our dealer pointed out to us that the heating on our Bailey Ranger was best in either gas or electric mode (top wattage) and once the van had warmed up then to switch it to blown air. Maybe your dealer had it on blown air or auto, even with the door open on ours on saturday afternoon after picking it up the electric heater was sufficient to warm the van without any problems.

Sara,

If your Senator is wired the same as my Pageant, you will find that the heating circuit and the ring main sockets are fed from the same 10 amp trip switch in the caravan. For good measure the battery charger is also on this same switch. Consequently if you have the heating on at the 2000w setting, you have only another 400w to play with before the circuit breaker trips. This means that you cannot use any other additional electric heating - unless Bailey have changed it since 2003.

The Truma heater is designed to run on gas and electric simultaneously, so just use add the gas to give it a boost if necessary. Use of the hob for space heating is both dangerous and unneccessary.

Brian

Hi there

We have had our Carolina for a year now and use it in all weathers.

Use the gas to get it warm at first (doesnt take long) Then switch to electric this maintains the temp no problem.

Enjoy an excellent van!!!!!!! :D

> by lighting the rings on the gas hob did the trick our van was cosy withi about 15 mins.

I agree with the previous warnings about CO buildup. Unvented heaters can be very dangerous.

I have found Single Malt Whisky to be very effective . ....

Do not, repeat do not under any circumstances use a thermite grenade as a space heating device ! :o

JAF

:o

Another point to consider when using the gas rings in cold weather is condensation.

When gas is burnt Propane (C3H8) or Butane (C4H10) is significant amount of the products of combustion is water vapour as the hydrogen (H) reacts with the oxygen (O) in the air to form water vapour (H2O). When this water vapour meets a surface (a cold caravan wall, window or floor) that is at a temperature below the air dew point condensation will form on that surface.

So if the internal surfaces of the caravan are very cold you could have them running with water if you used all the gas rings to warm the van up quickly.

Stick to the Truma.

Desperado

At the moment Aldi have a 2Kw fan heater on sale for £9. 99, we have one like it and use it as soon as we get the electric on as we are setting up in conjunction with the truma heater on 2Kw electric and gas. Within 30 mins the van is very warm, but you have to remember that you can only use this setup on a 16amp hook-up.

We were advised on the following procedure when we first got our van.

To get it as warm as possible, use gas/electric but have the fan set to automatic on around 2. The fan will then cut in when required. If the fan is on manual then it will blow cold air around at first making the van seem colder than it is.

We purchased a halogen heater to go in our awning when we first got it. Went for the low voltage version. They are ok, but you must remember that they only heat up objects and not the air, soif you are sat in view it was warm, but out of view you were cold.

We will now be purchasing an oil storage radiatior to go in the awning when we are using it at easter, but others prefer a fan heater.

Regards

Trevor

My trick is about half an hour before you leave your house put a fan heater on in the van and then just before you leave unplug it. This way it gets the chill out of the air and it takes less time to heat up. If you are on an electric hook up site I would recomend buying a small fan heater ie a 2kw heater. You have to remember that caravan electrics aren't wired to the same level as houses. I believe that 'vans are wired to only use 2kw heaters and small kettles. I may be wrong but this is what I have been told by a few people.

Happy camping and you never know it maybe a red hot weekend for you and you won't need a heater. I think I will carry on dreaming!

James

I usually manage with just the Carver heater in my van - but if it is really cold I keep a convector heater which I take with me - its 1/2kw thermostatically controlled - and I find it very useful for heating the van quickly.

I leave the Carver on low overnight and that keeps the chill out.

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Archived