Sign in to follow this  
dmtaylor

Caravan Damage

We recently hit the central reservation of a motorway with the back end of the caravan due to snaking. The caravan is insured and we have a few quotes. One repairer wants to replace the whole back panel and the other repair with fibreglass.

post-74925-0-44723800-1442049130_thumb.jpgAny ideas on which is best???

Looking at the damage as in the photo its a no brainer,,,a new back panel.

Can't see how it could possibly be repaired.

What about the damage to the lower side panel?

Is that deemed repairable?

It will be your Insurer who determines which repair method is used, but you need to convince them a new rear panel is required.

What is the total estimated cost of repair?

Edited by hp100425ev
  • Like 1

Something a bit puzzling here. I am not aware of how much towing experience you have, but were you

aware the caravan was snaking? You say you hit the central reservation of a motorway - were you in the

outside lane?

• Like 1

Something a bit puzzling here. I am not aware of how much towing experience you have, but were you

aware the caravan was snaking? You say you hit the central reservation of a motorway - were you in the

outside lane?

I think the OP was asking about the back panel and not about the snaking or the central reservation unless I misread the OP?

• Like 2

I hope you are insured.

Don't be surprised if the repairer advises a new rear panel, awning rail and possibly a new side panel as well. The Awning rail usually conceals the joint between the side panel and the rear panel and it looks as though the side wall aluminium is severely damaged as well. All depending on the skill of the repairer they might try to knock out the side panel dent and fill.

However, I wonder if the insurance company assessor would deem your 8 year old caravan as a write off and just scrap it. It could well be beyond economical recovery.

Good luck,

Pete

Edited by BOAC

I think the OP was asking about the back panel and not about the snaking or the central reservation unless I misread the OP?

Would you not have thought the same?.........Ex PC

• Like 1

I may have thought the same but in the context of a discussion topic, viewed by many "guests" or outsiders, where a newish contributor is seeking seeking advice about repairing his caravan I take the view that such public interrogation is wholly inappropriate.

Other opinions are probably available.

• Like 4

If insured, let the insurance company sort out. ... It's what your money pays them to do. ..

If the caravan is insured for its current value quotes which exceed that value may cause the caravan to be written off and the insured having to accept the insured value.

I lent my daughter and her hubby our van and he damaged the bottom of the rear panel, I opted to have the panel repaired and it was done to a very good standard. price for repair about £400 and price for replacing panel would have been £1500. In your situation I personally would go for new panel, and looking at rest of damage, I agree with what others have said, it could be written off.

If you look at the photo the panel will probably have to be removed to sort the wooden frame.

I hope the OP will wonder how the snaking started and ask our advice about it by starting a new thread. I hope he does. I think Gravon and others might have thought the same too.

Pete

outside lane?

Two lane motorway M42 maybe?

• Like 2

outside lane?

Poor guy is asking for advice on damage repairs from experienced caravanners after a horribly unlucky bout of snaking.

dmtaylor - Not sure on the answer but looking at the damage I'd say there's more under the skin than can be seen, so a professionally replaced panel would be best. Sorry to hear about the accident pal.