Sign in to follow this  
ADG

'vanning With A Newborn

Hi folks.

I've been quiet recently as we welcomed into the world our 1st child in early August. My son. (Very proud dad!)

anyway, we've booked our 1st trip away with him before the end of the month. We've bought an awning to store his stuff (never been an awning fan to be honest) and plumped for a Bradcot Aspire Air 390 with elec pump.

We've also got him a we Koodii pop up travel cot too. Just so he A: won't be on our king size fixed bed and B: won't go anywhere during the night. Our table is on a gas lift and when down, surrounded on all sides by cushiones. So he'll be here nice and safe.

Does anyone have any thoughts on it? What we should or shouldn't be doing / taking with us?

Thanks. Al.

• Like 1

Well done!_congratulations!

We found that the awning wasn't necessary (stuff goes in the car to avoid cluttering the van).

Not sure if you have a mover or not. Just remember that you will have to do all the moving etc your self (assuming your OH is willing to do the childcare during set up)

Our daughter first caravanned with us at three weeks old and continued with us on countless caravan rallies and holidays (without a break in her teenage years) until her marriage at 25 years of age.

Like you we used a camp cot secured in place on a side seat, and placed the seat cushion on bed slats between the two side seats, just in case she managed to fall (or later climb) out. When she was very young, the only other precaution was to keep the caravan interior nice and warm, and draft free for her.

She took to caravanning like a duck to water, and had her 'caravan friends' that she would only meet on rallies, but who she has kept in touch with into adulthood.

Gordon.

Yes. Have mover. Wee bought the 'van with little one in mind a few years back. So added AC too as we intend hitting the south coast of France next summer.

• Like 1

Congrats!

Remember taking our last newborn away at 2 months old a few years ago

Only thing we did was make her as comfortable as possible and tried to stick to the same routine as home, babies love routine!

Goes without saying but check smoke and CO alarms are all working

Yes. Have mover. Wee bought the 'van with little one in mind a few years back. So added AC too as we intend hitting the south coast of France next summer.

I am jealous x 4!

We have the wrong layout (fixed bed), no mover, no AC and we probably won't get that far into France next year as we will have child number two with us and, by then, he's likely to be at the age when sleeping in the car is an issue (i. e. long sleeps won't work and he will be too bored when he's awake).

Last year in Belgium I met a couple on their way back to the UK after an 18 week holiday around Germany. They were new to caravaning this being their first trip and when they set off the baby was three weeks old.

They had had a great time and said that everybody wanted to talk to them - the baby was a great draw.

Alan

Congratulations.

A word of warning though. If your son gets to like caravanning he will be asking you to buy him a caravan further down the line.

I would get saving now :D

Pete

• Like 1

I am jealous x 4!

We have the wrong layout (fixed bed), no mover, no AC and we probably won't get that far into France next year as we will have child number two with us and, by then, he's likely to be at the age when sleeping in the car is an issue (i. e. long sleeps won't work and he will be too bored when he's awake).

Changed the Motorhome (fixed island bed) back to a caravan to accommodate a child which we were planning early 2014. We too, went fixed bed, but, just shy of 7m. Full height fridge. 2. 5m wide. King size bed (side). No end washroom, just a huge living / child friendly area and big kitchen (Hobby) the seating area can be closed off for him, and goes to a 2. 4 x 2. 3m bed; I'm sure he'll like that when he's older.

Our intention (in warmer climes / summer) is to use the new awning when he's asleep. We already have portable oven with elec rings on top and a rotissary (£100 Argos special) which we regularly use outside already.

Edited by ADG

Changed the Motorhome (fixed island bed) back to a caravan to accommodate a child which we were planning early 2014. We too, went fixed bed, but, just shy of 7m. Full height fridge. 2. 5m wide. King size bed (side). No end washroom, just a huge living / child friendly area and big kitchen (Hobby) the seating area can be closed off for him, and goes to a 2. 4 x 2. 3m bed; I'm sure he'll like that when he's older.

Our intention (in warmer climes / summer) is to use the new awning when he's asleep. We already have portable oven with elec rings on top and a rotissary (£100 Argos special) which we regularly use outside already.

Ah, very different needs to us.

We're winter vanners and not fond of cooking outside or putting up awnings. We go to bed after the kids so we'll be heading down the twin dinette and bunks route in some form very shortly.

• Like 1

Our son was 6 weeks old went to Spain for 1 month no problems.

Our son was 6 weeks old went to Spain for 1 month no problems.

Similar age to our first trip abroad with daughter.

In many ways it was easier then than 8 months later. By which time it was harder to long stints in the car. Better now she can watch DVD or argue with us.

• Like 1

Congratulations, sounds like you are pretty much sorted. We have a collapsible baby bath which we take with us which we found easier than using the onsite family shower rooms. Our boy is almost 3 and he uses it still as well, he can not stand showers.

Sign in to follow this