What Do Caravan Model Numbers Mean?

I'm struggling to figure out how manufacturers denote their various model of caravans within a given range. For example, the Lunar offerings in the Quasar range have models numbered 462, 524, 544, 574, 586 and 646.

The Coachman VIP range however has 460/2, 545/4, 565/4 and 575/4.

I've managed to figure out the last number in each is the number of berths - but is there any relevance to the preceding numbers? Or is just a differing specification denotion?

Gave up trying to understand that a long time ago.

The best way is to look on-line at manufacturers web-sites, and view the layouts and technical specs for lengths and weights etc.

It I quite common for the first numbers to denote the body length, and the last digit, the number of berths. But beware as this is not always true!

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

They usually start meaning something, eg a 462 might be a 4. 6m long 2-berth but then evolve into something unrecognisable - just a BMW and Mercredes-Benz numbers/letters are teutonically logic to start with but not in the end.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

It I quite common for the first numbers to denote the body length, and the last digit, the number of berths. But beware as this is not always true!

Gordon.

But would reckon that they normally are these days. ........in past things like CT (Central Toilet) and EK (End Kitchen) were a menace.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

As already said, it's sometimes to do with the length of the van and the number of berths.

I had an Elddis Xplore 546, which was 5. 4trs long and a 6 berth.

I've now got an Elddis Avante 564, which is in fact 5. 6mtrs long and a 4 berth, so while Elddis may follow this pattern, I'm not sure if the other manufacturers do.

That's it! First two numbers look like the interior length in metres. Many thanks!

That's it! First two numbers look like the interior length in metres. Many thanks!

Not so! Swift 'vans have first number = internal body length range (but the actual length can be anything between that number and the next one up ( my 550 is 5. 65M). Next 2 numbers = numerical model (mines a 50). Later version of same 'van is called 570.

Ern

Not so! Swift 'vans have first number = internal body length range (but the actual length can be anything between that number and the next one up ( my 550 is 5. 65M). Next 2 numbers = numerical model (mines a 50). Later version of same 'van is called 570.

Agreed. Our 2012 Swift Challenger Sport is a 524. When you look at the model details in the brochure, the last number is indeed the number of berths. The remaining two leading numbers vaguely represent the internal length at bed box height - the first number is accurate for the rounded metres in length, but the second figure for parts of a metre can be anything from 'close' to 100mm plus away from actual.

I have never treated these model reference numbers as being anything more than a guide to which model van I am looking at.

Some are easier to understand that others.

In the Kontiki motorhome range. ....

6 = Kontiki range

middle number = layout (6 island bed, 7 longitudinal bed over a garage)

5 - one rear axle

9 - two rear axles

so mine is a 679 - Kontiki, long bed, twin axle.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Yep, as someone looking at used vans, I was surprised and confused to learn that a 2011 Swift Charisma 565 has an internal length of 5. 83m and 6 berths. Meanwhile the Charisma 570 is 5. 50m and also6 berth. Looking at 4 berth vans on the same range, the 550 is 5. 60 m long while the 560 is 5. 44m. :blink: