Sign in to follow this  
debndave

Refurb

hi, we are new to this and are about to purchase our first caravan. im sure i will have many more questions but my first is. ... when we buy a caravan, we would like to remodel the interior. is it possible to move any or all of the following - cooker - fridge - kitchen sink?

I would say your d i y ability is all you need to worry about. It’s all doable.

Anything is possible, but bear in mind the weight distribution for stability when towing. The layouts are not meant to be moved about, so you will probably need a good carpenter or a magic wand. :)

Welcome.

You may have a problem getting lightweight kitchen units to suit your new layout - domestic items would be far too heavy for a caravan.

The Fridge will have cooling vents cut in the caravan wall, not easy to move, and may be shaped to fit over the wheel arch. You would in any case need a full understanding of gas safety for mobiles as there's requirement for gas drop holes and other safety features.

As this is your first caravan, I strongly suggest you look around, however long it takes to find an existing layout nearest to your ideal - and restrict your customisation to fabrics.

Edited by Black Grouse

Until you have looked at the many different layouts available how can you know that you will want to remodel it? Buy Practical Caravan magazine (or similar) and look at all the layouts that are on sale.

Any major DIY to a caravan will make it much more difficult to sell on.

If you do go ahead you will need some expert advice from someone who really understands caravans as correct weight distribution is crucial to safe towing. Caravan electrics and gas piping are a job for a qualified expert (except for, say, an extra socket outlet).

Bob

I would advise against trying to re-model a touring caravan. Apart from the load distribution issue which others have mentioned, the furniture in a caravan is designed to add rigidity in the right places for the caravan body. If the body isn't braced correctly you will have movement and definitely plenty of water ingress. You cannot realistically move anything like a gas fridge, water heater, gas heater, and all the doors and windows. Removing a simple wall for example could remove the support for a roof strut and trouble will follow.

However, if you just want to park it at the end of the garden like a summer house, why not?

Have seen an add sorry can't remember on what site advertising ex Bailey caravans used by CC or C&CC for training. Not fitted out so good Diy project for about £ 2000

There are so many different layouts of caravans why would you want to go the hassle of remodeling? Everything is custom built to fit a certain way and unlike houses where most things are square caravans have some weird shapes and contours you have to follow.