Sign in to follow this  
redsteveb

Water Leak In Our 3 Month Old Lunar Clubman.

I think this is the right place to add this, but please feel free to move it if not.

We're just back from a 4 night trip to Wells. This is the 4th trip in our new Lunar Clubman (collected in May) and in total we've had about 25 days away in it without any problems.

However on Monday evening I noticed a small puddle of water near the front seats. On opening the storage hatch I could see water leaking from the part in the photo below. I could only stop the leak by turning of the water and then running the tap to empty what water was left in the pipes.

The water was dripping from the gap just below the quality sticker. Given the van is new I could take it back to the dealer but this is a bit of a pain in the behind given the distance and the need to take time off work to take it there and then collect it.

Is this a known fault with this part? If so can I upgrade it to something more reliable? If so I can get the team at the storage facility I use to do this for me. I understand it will cost me to do so, but will save the time and hassle in returning it to the dealer.

IMAG0966_zpsscusnakx.jpg

Firstly the van is under warranty and any work you do, or have done, other than by the supplying dealer or approved engineer will invalidate the warranty on the part you interfere with.

Brecon is right. Straight back to the dealer or at least give them a call

Mine is really good and sends me bits if they are stuff that I can do.

That if you are not aware is a pressure switch and activates the pump when you open the tap as it detects pressure dropping.

It looks to me like a screw is missing that holds the top of the pressure switch onto the body adjacent to the other one, under pressure water is probably being pushed past the o ring.

The gap below the quality sticker shouldn't be there.

Can you see and screws loose rolling around the locker.

It looks like you have push fit fittings in your caravan so if the dealer is willing they should supply a new switch and you can just replace like for like.

They are usually very reliable and have been used for many years, my first 20 year old Lunar had one as does my new Adria.

Don't worry easily fixed, speak to your dealer and go from there.

• Like 2

That's great thanks Jiffy. The did identify a water leak on hand over. We waited 45 minutes while this was fixed. Guess this wasn't done properly. I'll call the dealer today.

You can take it to a approved local dealer as said playing with it can cause warranty issues . Can you not arrange to drop it off on a weekend so you are not effected with work ?

Dave

Well spotted Jiffy - it does look like there is a screw missing and the top assembly is not parallel to the lower assembly - probably a self tapper into plastic.

If Jiffy is right, it is an easy fix but should have been found on a PDI.

Yet again, this is a good reason to buy from a local dealer as you say it is quite a distance to drive there.

Graham

That's great thanks Jiffy. The did identify a water leak on hand over. We waited 45 minutes while this was fixed. Guess this wasn't done properly. I'll call the dealer today.

By the sounds of it then it may have been missed at production.

The others thing you could do is ring whale UK and ask them to send the screw if there is one missing, can you get a top picture for us. I've read their customer service is outstanding.

If the screw works you would be able to fix without removing the switch and disturbing the piping.

A quick word of caution try not to knock the screw handle on top as this is adjustable and is what controls what pressure your water pump cuts in at.

It's not the end of the world if you do and easy to reset but worth avoiding if you can.

Keep as posted how you get on.

It's my experience that PDI aren't very good and are usually only checked to see if stuff works not a deep thorough run through it used to be.

Jiff.

The dealer is my local one being about 20 miles away. I've called them this morning and am waiting for a call back. Will update in due course. Thanks, Steve

Let your dealer sort it as it may be that the screw was overtightened and stripped the plastic.

Yea and tell dealer to reroute the pipes so that the pressure valve can sit on the floor flat. That is a a rough installation from factory. If it were mine I would do it my self even though you shouldn't have to. Good place would have noticed that on PDI !

Bet if you move valve and badly routed pipes the missing screw turns up.

• Like 1