Sign in to follow this  
craig78

Whale Gas/electric Heater Water Ingress

Hi

On a recent holiday trip with my Bailey Orion 530/6 and on the first night I went to put on my Whale blow air heater system to find it kept tripping the main MCB.

On investigation by the supplier the unit was full of water. The supplier says all gaskets etc. .. where in tact and therefore its not a warranty replacement.

My local dealer says it must have had a hose pipe up the flue due to the amount of water. I find this extremely hard to believe since it is stored securely on a Gold Secure site and the caravan had only not been off the site since the last time it was used it and the heater was working ok.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I dont want to replace the unit to find I have another expensive repair again in the future due to the root cause issue not being addressed.

Thank you

If the dealer has had it off to find what was wrong, and If it isn't going to be replaced under warranty, then there is nothing to lose by taking it off again, dismantling, drying it out and reassembling.

Of course you should get it checked, maybe Whale could do this for you. If all is well, then it can be refitted.

I can't see any operational reasons for the water, so your dealer may be right. Had you parked in someone's favourite storage spot. There are some nasty, vindictive people out there.

I had the same issue on my Orion.

The exhaust flue was getting drips enter when in a certain position. As there was no downward run out the only way the drips went was into the exhaust. It filled up twice and I ended up disconnecting and draining the thing.

The solution I found was to bend the flexible pipe on the inlet and outlet upwards to create a downwards run out. That way any drips that get in run out before getting trapped in the bend below the heater.

I noticed it more as I ran on gas a lot and obviously the exhaust gets blocked first so the heater went into lockout.

It is indeed a warranty issue through poor positioning and design of the exhaust. On mine it was positioned right by a side marker light which the water ran down and dripped perfectly into the exhaust.

This is exactly what has happened to my new elddis motorhome  2018

whale have refused to replaceunder warranty  as full of water and accused me of driving in deep water.

I have not

this is exactly

my problem thank you for this post

I have had exactly the same with my 17 reg elddis. There is a silicone channel directly above heater inlet/outlet  which channels water directly into the opening. Again insisted had been in a flood and warranty won’t cover it. Make sure you send details to elddis. The more people complain the better.

Hi Alice 

I was interested to read your post. What was the outcome? I am currently persuing a claim for it to be repaired under warranty.

However I guess this is going to drag on , and have already had to cancel one holiday due to it.

Hi Alice,

This is all very interesting....a friend has recently bought an Elddis motorhome and they are having exactly the same problem with water ingress and  their Dealer has accused them too of driving through a flood!  

Has there been any progress on the issues yet?

Cheers Dave

Hi All

This gets more interesting. I have had my van back repaired , however we are still debating who pays. I have the van back on the drive and have some photo and video evidence, that shows that when the van is parked at an angle, that water runs freely into the flue. When at this angle the flue pipes are horizontal and the water can travel unhindered to the housing.   It is not only possible but probable that this is the cause of the problem.

My next step is to wait for some significant rain (won't be too long in this part of the world) and I will disconnect the flu pipe and put a short piece of pipe in its place. I am sure that this will show water flowing freely into the opening, and from there to the heater housing. once I have that evidence I will be resubmitting it to the dealer.