Am I Legal To Tow

artie

Have been reading through some of the Archive Information and now i'm not sure if i'm legal to tow my van. I bought an Avondale grampian Gxl 1995 Last year and as yet have not been away in it from what i can see the unladen weight is 950kg and max weight is 1300kg. I currently own a 2000 model Renault Laguna Alize 1. 9 Dti and according to what car has a towing weight of 1600kg and kerb weight 1310kg will this be sufficient to tow my van once the two teenage daughters have stored the contents of their bedroom in it leaving enough space for the wife's slippers and a my shorts, or will i have to put my daughters up for addoption, no sensible offer refused. ...... any help much appreciated !

You shouldn't really tow more than 85% of your kerbweight, which is 1113. 5 kg.

The van weighs 950 before you put everything in it up to a max of 350 kg (you must NOT go over the 1300kg.)

You won't be illegal (van max 1300 kg, car kerbweight 1310 kg) BUT if this will be your first towing experience, I would not recommend this outfit.

Many thanks. Used to have ABI Monza 5 birth which is a much smaller van in comparison just upgraded to some thing more modern should have done homework first.

You shouldn't really tow more than 85% of your kerbweight, which is 1113. 5 kg.

The van weighs 950 before you put everything in it up to a max of 350 kg (you must NOT go over the 1300kg.)

You won't be illegal (van max 1300 kg, car kerbweight 1310 kg) BUT if this will be your first towing experience, I would not recommend this outfit.

6535[/snapback]

350Kg is quite a large payload. You are lucky to get 200Kg on some caravans. You can use 170Kg and still be at 85% ratio so this should be OK. This has to include heavy items such as battery, gas bottles etc, but if you were going on a flying holiday you can only take 20Kg each so thats 80Kg, leaving 90Kg for everything else. If you are careful, you should be able to manage it but I suggest you weigh it loaded on a public weighbridge if you can, just to make sure.

Note that the max towing figures quoted by car manufacturers are based on the ability of the outfit to to restart on a hill (normally 1 in 8) and take no account of stability of the unit

Brian

:rolleyes:

You'll be fine Artie!

Just tell your Daughters that they're only allowed a change of undies and a toy each! :lol:

We're often surprised how little we take with us.

I've recently been towing a Dart 556/6 (1300kg max) with an '03 Megane 1. 9Dci (1297kg) all over the Uk last year - every weekend.

Just being careful as to what goes in it then you'll be ok.

Have heard that the renault dti engine wasnt the best

I often think about what you take away when you go abroad for 2 weeks, the airlines allow 20kg per person and we usually take the household contents and we're always underweight.

Things that we considered - Alloy Awning, LCD T. v, bag of clothes for all - do your shopping when you get there.

Have a great season.

The Scotsman

:D Many thanks have been doing the maths in my head i should be ok with my 10 kegs of lager and karoke machine as long as i leave the wife and kids at home. Just kidding you are right about the renault diesel engine not the best in the world but never the less can't wait for the season to begin. We had an old ABI Monza 5 birth last year with no mod cons think the vikings left it behind but still managed to have a good time, this year we have Oven, Toilet, Central heating and windows that don't whistle in the wind.

:rolleyes:

You'll be fine Artie!

Just tell your Daughters that they're only allowed a change of undies and a toy each! :lol:

We're often surprised how little we take with us.

I've recently been towing a Dart 556/6 (1300kg max)  with an '03 Megane 1. 9Dci (1297kg) all over the Uk last year - every weekend.

Just being careful as to what goes in it then you'll be ok.

Have heard that the renault dti engine wasnt the best

I often think about what you take away when you go abroad for 2 weeks, the airlines allow 20kg per person and we usually take the household contents and we're always underweight.

Things that we considered - Alloy Awning, LCD T. v, bag of clothes for all - do your shopping when you get there.

Have a great season.

The Scotsman

6736[/snapback]

Many thanks just can't wait for season to begin

350Kg is quite a large payload. You are lucky to get 200Kg on some caravans. You can use 170Kg and still be at 85% ratio so this should be OK. This has to include heavy items such as battery, gas bottles etc, but if you were going on a flying holiday you can only take 20Kg each so thats 80Kg, leaving 90Kg for everything else. If you are careful, you should be able to manage it but I suggest you weigh it loaded on a public weighbridge if you can, just to make sure.

Note that the max towing figures quoted by car manufacturers are based on the ability of the outfit to to restart on a hill (normally 1 in 8) and take no account of stability of the unit

Brian

6695[/snapback]

I am very impressed that you manage to get your teenage daughters to carry on going away with you! Are they budding caravaners for the future? I am trying to set up an 18-30's type caravaner group so if they would like to join or in a few years time please pm me. They don't need caravans they can join if they have tents etc.

Have a good trip

James

don't think the elder one will be a caravanner ( 18yrs old ) but the younger one (16) really enjoys it we try so hard at times just to get a weekend away ourself's but as yet that is still waiting to happen may be next year when she goes off to college :lol:

I am very impressed that you manage to get your teenage daughters to carry on going away with you! Are they budding caravaners for the future?  I am trying to set up an 18-30's type caravaner group so if they would like to join or in a few years time please pm me.   They don't need caravans they can join if they have tents etc.

Have a good trip

James

6883[/snapback]