Truma Heating Control

godders7

This is the second posting as I posted in the wrong place first time :(

As the autumn is approaching my mind turns once again to heating.

I have always been disappointed with the control of the truma ultraheat. The time between the heating turning off and on again when temperature setting is reached can become rather chilly when set to convection.

If set to blown air then your legs start to feel a drought.

I am sure I am not the only one who feels this, has anybody found an answer?

Godfrey

We don't have a problem as I fitted a new thermostat, the old one was on the wardrobe next to the heater.

The remote one is best positioned near the gas one at the base of the fire.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I never found our previous van's to be much good on EHU, we always had it set to just below max (approx 30c) on the thermostat. Now looking forward to our new Alde heating, I know it has not been too cold since we bought the van in April, but it has been cosy the times we have used it, roll on Christmas :)

There were other issues with the heater that have been talked about on the forum regarding the relays.

Gary (arcsystem) has control panels and the remote sensor.

I can't give links to how to resolve the problems at the moment

Paul B

Hi Paul

I have found Gary's post and it describes my problem so fitting a remote sensor will hopefully solve the problem.

Thanks

Godfrey

Gary at Arc Systems has all the info on this characteristic of the Truma blown air heater.

Unfortunately there is no standard fix for the problem since it is a consequence of the interaction-or lack of-between the thermostat and the control board.

At least that was my understanding when I stripped and rebuilt my 2007 faulty heater.

Turned out to be a faulty control board for the fan motor.

Have you balanced the flows in the ducts?

There are two systems.

One requires access to the fan cowl by adjusting a flap you can direct the flow.

The other is using the flaps in the carman to balance the heat.

Another way to up the heat is to insulate the two metres of duct UNDER THE CARAVAN.

What an insane idea to put hot air ducts OUTSIDE the cararavan I suppose it keeps the wildlife warm.

There are threads on tackling this.

I used preformed insulation for large pipes slit the insulation slid it on-about one metre-secured with tie wraps every few inches.

Took about one hour.

It did improve performance of the heater especially in the shower/ toilet in the mornings.

Just dismantled the heater and discovered it has a remote sensor.

Back to square one :(

Any more ideas please

Godfrey

Is the remote fitted next to the gas one at the base of the fire. If it is your problem could be a stat on the control board.

Gary sells these or if the caravan is still under warranty claim for a new one.

The way to get around the problem was to set the temperature to the highest setting and only use the 500w the fire can't get to the high temperature so doesn't turn off.

Paul B

• 3 weeks later...

Having discovered that my heater did have a remote sensor I then started heating and cooling the sensor. It seems the electronic temperature controller receiving the temperature variations from the remote sensor must be very heavily "slugged", presumably to prevent the heater turning on/off to quickly to every little draft. . When I have worked out how to "get into the cupboard" were the electronic controller is housed I will investigate further.

Godfrey