Sign in to follow this  
Jiffy176

Thoughts On This Please.

Since I had a trip to the weighbridge I have been on a mission to loose weight from the van,
I've done well but have been considering the battery which is really only for the mover.

I brought a new 105ah when I had the mover fitted and that was of course fine, when I first started shedding weight I put my old Numax 75ah back in and no surprise the mover still does what I needed it to do which in all honestly is 15 foot up the drive and about 40 foot over rough ground and a small hill to and from the storage area.
I have a 40w solar panel charging through a Morningstar controller so the battery gets topped up in between uses.
What I'm wondering is could I get away with a 40ah car battery. That would save me another 6kg
The mover is a power touch evo with auto actuation. Powrwheel will not disclose what the power consumption of the mover is, all they say is that a 110ah battery is required. We are always on EHU so don't need the deep cycle feature of a leisure battery.
It is only really used to function the mover and possibly smooth out the charger, though I know the 12v works without a battery in. The Van is an Adria Sportine Max 1300kg.

I know some on here use old car batteries with a mover what are your experiences please.
Thanks.

Is saving only 6kg really that necessary - less than 0. 5% of the MTPLM.

I think you will find that Powrtouch recommend a battery of at least 75 AH. Anything less may interfere

with the performance. You are pushing it a bit (!) how much weight do you need to lose?

I think you will find that Powrtouch recommend a battery of at least 75 AH. Anything less may interfere

with the performance. You are pushing it a bit (!) how much weight do you need to lose?

Email from them said min 110ah for the evo. I know there are many on here who use a less with no issues as I asked before.

I'm under the weight limit but by not very much to the point that I carry a lot in the car and nothing in the fridge.

You'd be suprised at how much I got rid off just by taking out a kilo here and something that weighs 500g there.

So it looks like an easy 6kg to me. I do take your point though that I would be pushing it, but I can't help thinking I wonder if. ....

Do you have a spare wheel,for the caravan?

Where is that.

If its under the caravan, putting it in the boot would increase the payload quite a bit.

Do you have a spare wheel,for the caravan?

Where is that.

If its under the caravan, putting it in the boot would increase the payload quite a bit.

I've done that, spare wheel and kids chairs in car means I can put the awning in the caravan. .

Good suggestion though

Edited by Jiffy176

My Evo has a label on the 'open' end of the motor that says 12V 80A - I suspect, given the thinness of the cables to the motor - that that refers to total current drawn.

I hardly think that a kilo or 2 overweight is going to cause much concern to the van or anyone else. Remember that weighbridges can be +or- a bit of weight as well so I don't think if you were stopped and weighed that even 10kg over would mean anything.

Well I've brought the battery. I got at 40ah 360 CCA unit, it is a smidge over 10 kilo, next time I'm over at the caravan I will pop it in and try the mover over the usual distance i would to hitch up and drop off. I will report back.

I think your logic is sound. I have used car batteries for years until recently, and only then because Chipping Sodbury Caravans managed to lose it.

To my way of thinking, a car battery should cope better with the heavy draw. The only question is does it have enough capacity to do your journey.

John

• Like 2

Why not give it a test - borrow battery from your car and try it out. I am interested to hear results.

I think your logic is sound. I have used car batteries for years until recently, and only then because Chipping Sodbury Caravans managed to lose it.

To my way of thinking, a car battery should cope better with the heavy draw. The only question is does it have enough capacity to do your journey.

John

Thanks John. In realistic terms to move out is about 20 meter and then 10 from the road to on the drive.

I'm thinking if I done this right max draw say 80a but this will only be on initial move off.

80 amp would give me 30 mins to discharge but say 15 mins so I don't fully discharge, this should give me plenty of time to move where I need to. Time will tell.

Hopefully one morning next week.

Edited by Jiffy176

Dining table removed? They weigh a fair bit, at least 5kg (some 8-10kg)

Also, single gas bottle?

Chemicals in van or car?

We had a bunk on the side dinette which we removed when we went to France this summer, saved an amazing 11kg. Do you have one of those?

Lastly - wheel clamp. They of course weigh a lot, is it in the van or car, or potentially change it for an alko wheel lock which is considerably lighter

Edited by milkymarsh

I've done that, spare wheel and kids chairs in car means I can put the awning in the caravan. .

Good suggestion though

The AlKo spare support weighs 6kg if you have/had one fitted!

Sorry to sort of interrupt here but why did you go to the weighbridge in the first place and start doing all these things?

If I were to do this all the fun in caravanning would be gone.

There is also another thread running with someone worried about where to load things for nose weight.

Do not get me wrong I do the sensible things, but want to enjoy things.

Sorry to sort of interrupt here but why did you go to the weighbridge in the first place and start doing all these things?

If I were to do this all the fun in caravanning would be gone.

There is also another thread running with someone worried about where to load things for nose weight.

Do not get me wrong I do the sensible things, but want to enjoy things.

I was under the impression that we have a legal responsibility to ensure that the caravan is not overweight ?

• Like 1

Regarding the 40 ah battery I would be a little worried about its lifespan. when a motor is started it draws a big inrush of current, which could possibly buckle the plates in the battery. I am no expert so maybe those who know better will correct me.

Regarding the 40 ah battery I would be a little worried about its lifespan. when a motor is started it draws a big inrush of current, which could possibly buckle the plates in the battery. I am no expert so maybe those who know better will correct me.

The battery is rated at 360 cold cranking amps, I'm going on the theory that the mover will pull no more than a standard starter, as I'm told once a motor is moving the draw is somewhat less.

Milky thanks for your suggestions, the only one I haven't done is taking the bunk out. I might have a look at that as I don't carry the ladder or cushions for it.

My spare wheel was in the front locker but went under the bed to reduce nose weight. It now goes in the car with kids chairs so the air awning can go in the van as the bag is bigger.

This weight loss is always a problem, basically if you have serious problems losing weight to obtain MTPLM then unfortunately you have bought the wrong van, unfortunately very easy to do with the first van, careless if the second. though the AlKo spare carrier is actually 8Kg so ditch and the wheel can be wrapped up and placed in the van travelling to help nose weight, then stored in the gas locker on site. I don't believe in placing caravan items in the car, car is for passengers and their items, van is for van items, if it can't take the essentials then the van is badly designed, or your essentials are too great for the van you purchased. My Powrtouch states maximum draw 20A and an 85A battery has always been more than adequate, In theory a 40Ah battery would last 30 minutes. :)

• Like 1

Its good to see so may posts about reducing weight. At least some of us are sensible and respect (or at least try to comply with) the mtplm!

To the OP, do you drain the hot water tank when you travel? - this will reduce weight by around 10kg

Cheers

• Like 1

Its good to see so may posts about reducing weight. At least some of us are sensible and respect (or at least try to comply with) the mtplm!

To the OP, do you drain the hot water tank when you travel? - this will reduce weight by around 10kg

Cheers

Maybe we should have a Poll to see how many of us have been and got our caravans weighed.

I know many caravanners and never heard of anyone getting their caravan weighed, and at one time was a regular visitor to the Councils premises where there is a weighbridge and never saw a caravan there.

This weight loss is always a problem, basically if you have serious problems losing weight to obtain MTPLM then unfortunately you have bought the wrong van, unfortunately very easy to do with the first van, careless if the second. though the AlKo spare carrier is actually 8Kg so ditch and the wheel can be wrapped up and placed in the van travelling to help nose weight, then stored in the gas locker on site. I don't believe in placing caravan items in the car, car is for passengers and their items, van is for van items, if it can't take the essentials then the van is badly designed, or your essentials are too great for the van you purchased. My Powrtouch states maximum draw 20A and an 85A battery has always been more than adequate, In theory a 40Ah battery would last 30 minutes. :)

No alko carrier so no need to worry about that, the reason the spare goes in the boot is so the awning can go in the van as it is much smaller, the other way round is a bit of a fight.

My main reason into looking into this is that I don't use the leisure battery for what it was intended, in essence we always go on ehu so why waste payload for something I'm not going to ever need.

The van was a considered purchase and not my first, when on site it is perfectly designed for the four of us. I think that the manufacturer has been a bit cautious with the MIRO as it is a dealer special although the brochure gave weights to adjust to that fact.

Fitting the mover was the after thought, solely because getting in and out of storage was a family affair as was getting the van on the front garden at home, not due to lack of reversing skill but just because the unit was too long to get the swing and at times was difficult requiring much hitch and in hitch to get in.

Now I can do this alone in my own time without the kids running about etc etc.

Obviously I knew this would eat into my payload and I was using a weight device that lead me to believe I was under weight. Out of interest I took the unit to the weighbridge to check accuracy of the weighing device and got a bit of a wake up, I tested at a second weighbridge and the reading was the same so I went about clearing gear out and it is surprising what you can do without.

I am under axle weight but I am the type of individual that likes to challenge the norm hence why I asked myself the question.

Interesting that the new version of the van is offered with a higher plated weight with option to upgrade.

Hi bubble.

Yes I do, the reason my first weighbridge visit was high was due to the van just having been serviced and most of the water being in the heater, as it is only ½ mile from my house, I went back did some shuffling about, drained off and all was ok.

When I needed a new battery for our other car (oldish SEAT), our local battery supplier quoted a good price for the 56 AH required. I bought two (with saving) and have used the second on our caravan for the last three years. I have had no problems with the motor mover.

When I needed a new battery for our other car (oldish SEAT), our local battery supplier quoted a good price for the 56 AH required. I bought two (with saving) and have used the second on our caravan for the last three years. I have had no problems with the motor mover.

Top man cheers

Sign in to follow this