Sign in to follow this  
redsteveb

Kampa Rally Air V Kampa Rally Air Pro....worth The Difference Of £80?

Hi all, we're considering buying a smallish porch awning for short weekend trips and we quite like the look of the Kampa Rally Air 260.

We've looked at a lot of videos on You Tube etc and were impressed by the ease of erecting and taking down, plus the weight and size etc.

We have noticed that there are 2 models; the Rally Air and the Rally Air Pro. The difference in price is £80 and looking at the specs I can see that the Pro model is made from 300D fabric whereas the basic model has 150D.

The Pro also has curtains which we're not concerned about. There is a slightly different look to them but aside from the material is I can't see too much else to separate them.

Is the £80 extra for the Pro version worth it? If not I'd rather spend the difference on a ground sheet and maybe a carpet too.

As I said it will only be for used for short trips of up to 4 nights or so. We have a full size traditional awning for our longer holidays.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

At that price point the £80 is worth it IMO. The fabric is thicker and looks nicer when up also.

Don't have an Air but our friends have the Ace Pro and we have Rally Club (normal material) - their looks and feels nicer

See if you can get a deal on buying ground sheet, rear poles etc together?

Would definitely go with the pro version. Much better material, also seems to be more resistant to sun bleaching as well (or at least this past year has indicated that to me).

Agree ref the curtains & not a big fan of the white, but if they are included you may as well fit them.

Don't forget to pick up rear poles as they help seal it against the van

Thanks sunshinetours. .yes we're visiting a dealer at the weekend when we are away with the van, so could look to do a deal. I guess the real poles just help to secure it to the van a little better?

Thanks Milky. ...you've answered my question re the rear poles. Much appreciated.

Thanks sunshinetours. .yes we're visiting a dealer at the weekend when we are away with the van, so could look to do a deal. I guess the real poles just help to secure it to the van a little better?

Thanks Milky. ...you've answered my question re the rear poles. Much appreciated.

Not an issue. We have a Air Pro 390 & its superb.

Just get yourself an electric pump & then go onto amazon & buy a small 12v battery for it (saves connecting onto your battery etc). Should inflate that in circa 2 mins

Not an issue. We have a Air Pro 390 & its superb.

Just get yourself an electric pump & then go onto amazon & buy a small 12v battery for it (saves connecting onto your battery etc). Should inflate that in circa 2 mins

Thanks again. I have a small electric pump from my camping days, but I think from looking at the video clips I've seen I'll probably be ok with the manual pump supplied (or get my wife to do it) :-)

As with milkymarsh we too have the Air Pro 390. The quality of stitching, and material is impressive although after a relatively short time the area exposed when the front windows are rolled half way down has gone yellow! Not impressed with that at all.

Main problem, and this is mentioned by a lot of people, is the weight when threading through the awning channel. Takes a lot of tugging.

We have a pump which I really like - sit back for 2 mins - done! Maybe not so important though with the smaller awning?

If you do go for the pump then either the battery idea or take a 20amp fused lead from the caravan battery and put a 20amp rated cigarette type connector. I've done this and sited the outlet in the front wet locker. However, reach to the inflation points can be an issue and I bought a length of plastic hose that matches exactly that supplied with the pump (Local Dealer stocks it). A length of a couple of meters makes reaching easy - I say two but obviously measure! The whole lot still goes nicely into the storage bag. (This saves parking the car next to the awning to inflate).

The smaller porch will be lighter and I suggest going for the heavier material. Rear poles are fine but be warned they are a devil to fit. The way they joint and extend is not easy to control - sounds silly but others will, I'm sure, agree!

Enjoy. :)

Having had awnings of both thicknesses, we were more than happy to save £90 when we brought our Vango air awning.

Phil.

• Like 1

Thanks John. We've got an Isabella Pacific 300 as our main awning which I guess is much heavier then the 260cm x 250cm of our intended purchase so we should be ok with the weight and threading through the channel.

Little more concerning is the yellowing that you mentioned. Not good, especially if you've only had it a short time. Something we might need to think about.

The dealer we intended to visit at the weekend is sold out of both the base & Pro models so if we did buy then it would need to be from someone on-line. They mentioned they are now waiting the 2016 versions. We could wait but have 3 more weekend trips planned and wanted something to cover our trips in September & October.

They recommended we look at "We have on display the Vango Varkala 280 and Outdoor Revolution Oxygen Porchlite which are of a similar size to the Kampa 260’s"

We've got the 390 Air (not the Pro) & it's stood up to a biblical downpour this weekend - even Noah was impressed as he sailed past!

Seriously though the 390 is heavy enough to feed into the channel - I guess the Pro would be a bit more of a handful. Great awning though, first couple of times we put it up I didn't really 'bond' with it, but then I got the electric pump & battery & now I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Great for up to 4 nights, more than that worth investing the time on the full sized Isabella.

We've got the 390 Air (not the Pro) & it's stood up to a biblical downpour this weekend - even Noah was impressed as he sailed past!

Seriously though the 390 is heavy enough to feed into the channel - I guess the Pro would be a bit more of a handful. Great awning though, first couple of times we put it up I didn't really 'bond' with it, but then I got the electric pump & battery & now I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Great for up to 4 nights, more than that worth investing the time on the full sized Isabella.

Thanks Landie, we're only looking for the 260 as it's only for somewhere to store wet shoes and coats plus my wife likes to sit in the awning in most weather, whereas you'll find me inside if the weather is inclement.

I've found a dealer (Davan Caravans) who has a 260 pro in stock albeit a 2014 model and will do a deal on it at £55 less than the 2015 models which I'm struggling to find. Apparently it's just a colour change that separates them. Ideally I'd like to get something asap as we'd be able to get some use out of it this year. If not we may wait for the 2016 models to arrive and then place an order.

• Like 1

I would go for it if a deal can be had

Yes I agree. Apparently the only change from the '14 to '15 model was a change in the skirt at the bottom, which isn't an issue for us. £55 off pays for 3 nights on most places we visit, but I'll also push for the rear poles too.

• Like 1

Yes I agree. Apparently the only change from the '14 to '15 model was a change in the skirt at the bottom, which isn't an issue for us. £55 off pays for 3 nights on most places we visit, but I'll also push for the rear poles too.

See if you can get an organiser thrown in as well. Useful for keeping things tidy in the awning

• Like 1

Just to conclude this thread, we purchased a brand new in the box (unopened) 2014 Kampa Rally Air Pro 260 from Davan Caravans on Sunday for £549. They also threw in an additional pump as the salesman couldn't recall if one was included with the awning and didn't want to open the box. As it turns out there was, but at least we have a spare.

The only difference we can see is that the colours at the base of the awning are different from the 2015 model. For £50 less than a 2015 one we're more that happy. Looking forward to using it at the end of the month when we're next away.

• Like 1

Just in case I'm in time I think the changes in later models was that the door now has no "step" to negotiate! Previously there was a raised section to step over,

• Like 1

Just to conclude this thread, we purchased a brand new in the box (unopened) 2014 Kampa Rally Air Pro 260 from Davan Caravans on Sunday for £549. They also threw in an additional pump as the salesman couldn't recall if one was included with the awning and didn't want to open the box. As it turns out there was, but at least we have a spare.

The only difference we can see is that the colours at the base of the awning are different from the 2015 model. For £50 less than a 2015 one we're more that happy. Looking forward to using it at the end of the month when we're next away.

I think you will be happy with the pro. I previously had a standard sunncamp awning with rip stop kind of material. It was a brilliant awning, though, not cosy. It did a couple of years in France in some heat, finally in its 5 th year the material started to simply pull apart. It was very easy to put your finger through the material for instance when pulling it on the van.

This may be down to insect repellent, but I also thing UV damage. Hence when we recently bought an awning I opted for the PRO, no more was I buying a thin material awning, whatever its claimed properties. I also wanted an awning thata could be made cosy. Our sunncamp got too hot and as soon as the sun went down you could not keep it warm even with 2kW blowing in it.

• Like 1

Just in case I'm in time I think the changes in later models was that the door now has no "step" to negotiate! Previously there was a raised section to step over,

Used the awning for the first time at the weekend, and definitely no "step" on the 2014 model we purchased. A fantastic bit of kit which we put up in less than 10 minutes, which included pegging out etc. Would definitely recommend it.

20150925_185044_zpslgnbfglq.jpg