Sign in to follow this  
silverman

Hand Dryers In Caravans?

Never heard of it before, even in a static

We call our hand dryer a towel. Don,t see how it can catch fire. ;);)

• Like 1

It could of been spelling mistake and it might mean hairdryer.

• Like 2

Hair dryer = air dryer = hand dryer?

We call our hand dryer a towel. Don,t see how it can catch fire. ;);)

Only if used too vigorously :)

Having read the link, I am a bit puzzled by the report. The fire crew said it was a privately owned touring caravan. have never heard of a hand dryer being fitted into a caravan, particularly a touring model. I am wondering if there was an error in the reporting, and that it was in fact a hair dryer. This would make more sense.

It says that a 'member of staff' put out the fire with a powder extinguisher, but the fire crew made the caravan safe by "dampening down using a hose reel jet". If a member of staff had already put the fire out, then using a hose reel jet sounds OTT to me. I wonder how much water damage might have been caused unnecessarily to the caravan?

I've seen them on many coaches before, so in theory the concept would be the same.

Russ

(Hand dryers that is, not hair dryers)

Item in my local area website. It says the fire was caused by a faulty hand dryer. Do some caravans actually have hand dryers fitted?

http://www. burnham-on-sea. com/news/2015/caravan-fire-brean-23-08-15. php

As the report refers to Brean, where there are numerous parks populated primarily with static caravans (mobile homes) and not touring caravans, I would suggest that the report means exactly what it says - a faulty (electric) hand dryer.

Gordon.

So it sounds like the answer to my question is that tourers don't have electric hand dryers fitted. As my van is five years old I just wondered if this was the latest gadget fitted to new vans.

So it sounds like the answer to my question is that tourers don't have electric hand dryers fitted.

Please don't give the designers ideas, silverman. It could become a tourer caravan gimmick in the near future. :blink:

It seems some German high end motorhomes have them already. ..

Russ

As the report refers to Brean, where there are numerous parks populated primarily with static caravans (mobile homes) and not touring caravans, I would suggest that the report means exactly what it says - a faulty (electric) hand dryer.

Gordon.

The report says that the fire service confirmed it was a privately owned touring caravan.

The sites are mostly populated by statics as you said, but many people take their touring caravans (and tents) there.

Like everyone else so far, I have never known any tourer to have a hand drier. However, I see there are small ones available with as little as 550watts power rating. Now then, what about that for the latest must have accessory?

Edited by Ern

Whatever. I still wonder why the fire brigade were so gung-ho with a hose jet, when a member of staff had already put the fire out. :(

It is standard practice to stop the fire using a safe method using gas on electricity to give time for the electricity to be made safe, but in most cases then use water to cool the area down to prevent the fire continuing

Well, we weren't there at the time and you have to accept that A/Newspapers often report incorrectly, B/Fire services usually know what they're doing. I've been reading all about hand dryers!

Doesn't everybody have them fitted ;) oh dear. Nos

It could of been spelling mistake and it might mean hairdryer.

It could have, I agree.

What I find hard to believe is that a post like this can have so many replies. .. oh, it's Monday.

Edited by Samtheman
  • Like 1

It could have, I agree.

What I find hard to believe is that a post like this can have so many replies. .. oh, it's Monday.

Oh the irony. ;)

• Like 1

Oh the irony. ;)

I think you missed the intended irony in my post. Perhaps it was too subtle.

Edited by Samtheman

It could have, I agree.

:D:D

Gordon.

The report says that the fire service confirmed it was a privately owned touring caravan.

I stand corrected Ern.

Obviously I should have read beyond the title :blush:

Gordon.

Ok anyway, who's got one? Come on own up if you've got one. Who wouldn't mind one then?

Sign in to follow this