Sign in to follow this  
Aine

Confused Re Tow Car !

Hi folks,

New to the forum but have been caravanning for many years. Have been lurking on the forums for a while and have noted a lot of emphasis on the suitability of tow car and caravan match. I have to say this is something I never gave much thought to. Hubby has always done our towing (he holds his lorry licence and is a hgv mechanic so knows a lot about cars), therefore I have never questioned any suitability of any of our outfits over the years.

I see on a lot of the forums there are many links where you can check the suitability. But I am struggling to understand them! I've asked the hubby but he has just said not to worry about it and leave it to him (lol).

We might be changing our caravan for next season so I just wonder if any kind soul on this forum could check suitability for me please

- compass rallye 524 L, with a citroen c5 estate 2. 0 hdi (2002)

- compass rallye 524 L with a skoda superb 1. 9 tdi saloon (2005)

I like the L shaped lounge but Are compass rallye caravans typically on the heavy side in comparison to other makes etc ?

Sorry for such a long first post!

If anyone can help me I can offer repayment by way of advice on probably every campsite in Ireland as have been around most of them lol!!

Thanks, Aine

Yes I have looked at that but the caravan compass rallye 524 L is not listed. I put it in therefore as an omega 524 L just to see but it is saying that this would be too heavy for a superb.

As I said earlier I do have all the links etc to try to check this out. .. I am not finding it straightforward at all sorry !

There is a Ralleye 524 listed, so use that - I think the 'L' just refers to the layout of the lounge, so the weight should be near enough to get a close estimate x

Yes had done that as well and it is saying too heavy. I had thought that skoda superbs had a great reputation re towing match which is why I am wondering if compass rallyes are a heavy van

The 85% is a CC recommendation. We have members on here who regard themselves as experienced towers and they will therefore tow up towards 100%.

But very few people would tow above 100%. So, when you say the sites come out as heavy, what % is it? The path of educating or explaining to your hubby may not be easy from your comments.

We do wish you the best of luck!

Graham

What % does it come out at? Mine is 91%?

For the superb it is 99%

The citroen is 103% and says it is 27kg too heavy and not allowed

Bear in mind folks that the poster on here puts her location as Ireland.

If that is Eire the laws could well be different and any relation to UK law could send her down the wrong track completely

Northern Ireland so officially UK laws but sure that could open an 800 year old debate! But yes like you guys I am going by UK laws 😊

Have just found one advertised for sale and the MTPLM (max weight) is given as 1630kg.

http://www. caravanfinder. co. uk/touring-caravans-for-sale/search-caravans/compass-rallye-524-used-caravan-2009-derbyshire-tk01a8136

This is a very heavy caravan so you would need a hefty towbar so neither the Skoda or Citroen would be suitable.

The weight may vary slightly from one year to another so it depends which particular caravan you are looking at.

If you know what caravan you are looking at can you not look at the weight plate on the side.

Brian

Northern Ireland so officially UK laws but sure that could open an 800 year old debate! But yes like you guys I am going by UK laws

There are some licencing differences in NI but none that affect towing that I recall.

In any case, EU law regulates all these issues nowadays so no differences.

I wonder why they are a heavy caravan ? Seem to have same rig out as many other lighter vans

Modern vans seem to be getting heavier every year. Maybe because we keep buying them :)

Graham

But very few people would tow above 100%. So, when you say the sites come out as heavy, what % is it? The path of educating or explaining to your hubby may not be easy from your comments.

Anyone driving Class 1 HGV/LGV is driving at way over 100% every day (probably more like 300% or more), well if his boss wants to make any money he is!! While that may not be at possible with a car/caravan outfit you're probably right that educmicating hubby about the finer points of a couple of hundred kilos here and there is probably going to be difficult.

Hubby has kept you safe for years so trust his judgement.

• Like 1

Xtrailman yes you're right and I never questioned it before. Just when you see so much emphasis on forums like these you start to wonder about all the technical details most of which I don't understand to be honest.

Thanks for replies everyone even though I am no wiser on the subject I will let the hubby get on with this stuff

• Like 1

aine. Basically it looks like your caravan is at the heavier end of what the cars can tow. Some will say too heavy (they'll forget to mention that it's just their opinion though).

You don't want to exceed the car's limit but assuming that's OK, it sounds like your other half knows what he's doing.

Here's a link to one on caravantalk http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/caravan-specifications/compass/rallye-524-2002_5344

My neighbour had one but couldn't get on with the "L" shaped bed arrangement, so I would advise you to make up the bed and try it for comfort before buying the caravan.