Sign in to follow this  
Tandem Man

Caravan Rear Cycle Carriers.

Been watching Caravan Finder TV from a week or so back and it featured the new Swifts ( I think it was ) and some or all of the 2016 models featured factory installed mountings for a rear cycle carrier.

The presenter was enthusing over this "advance" and in principle fair enough but has the advice not to back load a caravan been ditched ?

A bike carrier and a couple of bikes could weigh between 20-30Kg plus at a rough estimate which I wouldn't have thought was good for stability,dumb-bell effect and all that.

Has the advice changed,Swift ( if it was Swift ) seems to think so.

I know people have said it frequently occurs in Europe so what exactly is the present state of play on loading ?

Ian

Is it just possible that prior to the recent Swift models their design was not sufficient to do this work, as was the design/advice to do many things in the past.

Perhaps the design has now been changed to allow it to be done

Is it just possible that prior to the recent Swift models their design was not sufficient to do this work, as was the design/advice to do many things in the past.

Perhaps the design has now been changed to allow it to be done.

I am no expert in this but I would have thought that weight at the rear was weight at the rear even though structurally the van is capable of supporting a bike carrier.

Ian

I have always had to put heavy stuff right at the back to keep the noseweight in limits. Van seems perfectly stable.

Is it not often commented on here that European chassis can be fitted with rear cycle carriers because of the chassis design, in fact I saw a Hobby with a factory fit recently.

So it looks as the a UK company is going down this route. Given the popularity of cycling it seems like a good idea

Its possible that the balance point of the van ie the wheels have been moved sufficiently forward to allow for the bike racks and allow for this. I dont know; but I cant see Swift compromising and encouraging instability without doing so.

Its possible that the balance point of the van ie the wheels have been moved sufficiently forward to allow for the bike racks and allow for this. I dont know; but I cant see Swift compromising and encouraging instability without doing so.

Surely the wheels would need to be moved back, to reduce the bikes turning moment.

Surely the wheels would need to be moved back, to reduce the bikes turning moment.

Your right its late in the day. But move they must.

• Like 1

There is a problem here in that if the van noseweight as set up by the manufacturer assumes the weight of (say) 2 bikes (30kg?) at the very rear of the van (which means a high turning force), that will lead to the noseweight being too high when there are no bikes at the rear