Sign in to follow this  
pjapk

Arrivals/departures Policy - A Refreshing Change!

I'll be staying at www. wildatlanticcamp. ie from the end of next week and, bearing in mind my overnight ferry sailings, I thought I'd ask what their arrival/departure policy was, expecting to be told the usual "don't turn up before 12:00" and "begone by 16:00 at the latest".

Their actual reply was:

" You can arrive and leave any time that suits you! See you on the 29th :) "

How convenient! :-D

[i'm well aware that there's a good chance that 50% of readers will think this is great and the other 50% will think that people leaving later is a monstrous inconvenience to other's arriving but remember - the same policy applies to those folks too!]

Oh thats wonderful change . No rushing around to take awning down . Stow everything then run off all flustered. Great restful just how it should be.

• Like 2

i find family run sites are more laid back with no main governing rules . i would think it has good access and used to ferry traffic .

Dave

I find CL's and commercials in the UK very good in this respect, it does always depend on the owner's personal circumstances but always worth asking - and polite to inform even if planned arrival/departure times are conventional.

Edited by Black Grouse

So you arrive at a CL at 12. 15pm to find 5 caravans sited and no sign of them packing up any time soon. No pitch or hookup available, what to do? Not a pleasant experience I can promise you. Yes it has happened to me, so I always ensure that I'm packed and away by noon.

• Like 2

So you arrive at a CL at 12. 15pm to find 5 caravans sited and no sign of them packing up any time soon. No pitch or hookup available, what to do? Not a pleasant experience I can promise you. Yes it has happened to me, so I always ensure that I'm packed and away by noon.

Or worse still, because it is allowed, you arrive at 9am and there is no pitch vacant until 10pm.

• Like 1

I just discuss arrangements with the CL owner - before I get there for arrival and before I leave for departure - I've never had a problem, in one case agreeing with the CL owner to park in the storage field until the leavers went, due to an early ferry - that early ferry caused by a 10am departure requirement elsewhere meaning I couldn't get the midday ferry.

Dialogue is everything.

• Like 2

We are in southern Ireland in September and on phoning to book sites, told no need for deposit etc. We will see you when we see you and you can sty as short or as long as you like. No restrictions on arrival and leaving on the sites we contacted. They do seem more laid back than the UK.

• Like 1

Most of the rest of Europe have a much more flexible arrival and departures policy than in this country. We've seen people waiting overnight to check in first thing in the morning, as well as staying on their pitch until the end of the day.

It's fine where there's plenty of pitches, my concern is on very small sites such as CLs where there isn't much room for manoevre.

It's fine where there's plenty of pitches, my concern is on very small sites such as CLs where there isn't much room for manoevre.

Talk to the CL owner.

I'll be staying at www. wildatlanticcamp. ie from the end of next week and, bearing in mind my overnight ferry sailings, I thought I'd ask what their arrival/departure policy was, expecting to be told the usual "don't turn up before 12:00" and "begone by 16:00 at the latest".

Their actual reply was:

" You can arrive and leave any time that suits you! See you on the 29th :) "

How convenient! :-D

[i'm well aware that there's a good chance that 50% of readers will think this is great and the other 50% will think that people leaving later is a monstrous inconvenience to other's arriving but remember - the same policy applies to those folks too!]

I think we should nip this in the bud right now! There is only a finite number of things we can moan about on here and we have already lost the Scottish Referendum and the Election to name but three.

• Like 2

I think we should nip this in the bud right now! There is only a finite number of things we can moan about on here and we have already lost the Scottish Referendum and the Election to name but three.

If we weren't moaning, what else would we do to pass the time. Oh, enjoy the caravan! :-D

• Like 1

The site must be quiet and they know what volumes to expect.

I'd be livid if I could n't get on a pitch, whilst waiting for others to move off.

If the site can manage it though, and not upset anyone, they're doing a good job

Russ

Wrong again Sam. We won the election. :D:P:D

• Like 2

Hey guys, this is the Overseas Section. Why so many references to CLs. ? We use lots of overseas sites where we can come and go as and when we wish - early or late - just like the original post said for Ireland. What they do at CLs doesn't bother me one bit.

• Like 2

It would never work here, or so over 9000 posts on the CC forum have said so far :)

It would never work here, or so over 9000 posts on the CC forum have said so far :)

What would never work?

It's just communication. When it suits us to arrive early or depart late, regardless of the site location, size or location. We just ask.

If the reply is sorry we are a bit full, or we need to control the traffic on narrow roads, then fair enough. If the answer is the rules don't allow, I will look elsewhere.

Therefore, I think the OP did things dead right, and got a great answer.

John

Edited by JCloughie
  • Like 3

What would never work?

Allowing any flexibility on arrival or departure times as per the subject under discussion

Allowing any flexibility on arrival or departure times as per the subject under discussion

CC club sites are known for their uniformity and standardisation, it's what many people want, and get.

But CLs and commercial sites are free to set their own rules, or not if they want.

For me, CC club sites are too regimented so I don't use them, simples - but for CLs and commercials I just ask if arriving early or leaving late suits me and see what response I get - and even if arriving/leaving at "normal" times I let the site know what my intentions are which may allow them to help another caravanner who would like to arrive/leave outside "normal" times.

We have used a couple of sites where you wouldnt want to meet a 'van coming in the opposite direction. Bureside on The Broads near Thurne is one such site and the CC Site at Huntingdon is another.

Not to mention Chatsworth!

Or any 500 miles of roads here in Cornwall.

• Like 1

Stopped at a site with friends who were camping and as we wanted some leccy for the heater etc we were given a pitch. As the office closed at 5 and we arrived at 7 there was a sign with our name on and a note on the door. When I popped in to pay the bill on Saturday morning I said what time do we need to be away on Sunday? Any time to suit you was the answer.

That said it was a huge site completely under utilised so space was a not a problem!