Sign in to follow this  
Almip

Has Anyone Towed With A Toyota Auris?

We have decided we would like to buy a small caravan our car is a toyota auris 1. 4 d4d 15 reg, has anyone any advice or experience towing a van around 1000kg with a vehicle of this size or similar please, guy in local caravan dealers said nothing is suitable for us to tow, but evidence points to older caravans which are lighter we are happy to buy an older van as we are just starting changing car is not an option as its only 4 months old and therefore too much money would be lost ! Can anyone help with advice and suggest any vans suitable to be towed by this car max kerb weight us 1245 kg

Check your log book to see what the max braked towing weight for your Auris. I have a 2ltr diesel Avensis and the most I can tow is 1300kg braked. I tow a lunar Zenith end bed and no problem its max weight is 1256kg.

Until you can find max weight allowable then you can't match it to a van.

• Like 1

This weekend I saw a 4 berth caravan at 960kgs. But it was 30 years old and dry! But decent dry old caravans are not 2 a penny.

• Like 1

Hello .

i have a tepee bipper 1. 4 diesel and can only tow 600kg braked. So i choose an eriba puck. It is older but is only 500kg. The eriba range is a bit pricey. But they are great little vans and loads of different ones to choose from.

As the guys on here say you need to know what your car willl safely tow.

• Like 1

The max towing weight with brakes is 1000kg so would that mean it's ok to tow a caravan of 1000kg or under, sorry to sound a bit thick but everything I read is very confusing ! The driver of the vehicle when towing is a very experienced hgv class one driver and therefore quite capable of driving articulated vehicles if that makes any difference as I read on the caravan club that you can tow max kerb weight if you are a confident driver but only 85 per cent if inexperienced!

Have a look at Freedom caravans ;)

• Like 1

Silver caravans do vans under 1000. They are pop tops so easier to tow as well.

Dave

• Like 1

Contemplating selling my Andre Jamet folding caraven - see classifieds. You'd be able to tow this!

The max towing weight with brakes is 1000kg so would that mean it's ok to tow a caravan of 1000kg or under, sorry to sound a bit thick but everything I read is very confusing ! The driver of the vehicle when towing is a very experienced hgv class one driver and therefore quite capable of driving articulated vehicles if that makes any difference as I read on the caravan club that you can tow max kerb weight if you are a confident driver but only 85 per cent if inexperienced!

That's correct. You should be looking for something with a maximum weight (mtplm) of 1000kg. This will be lighter than your car so should also be stable. I don't know anything about the power out torque of your car, but I would guess you will be OK as you will be towing at a low weight.

There have been debates on the forum in the past as to whether you could tow a caravan that has a heavier Mtplm than 1000kg but loaded so that it weighs less than the limit for your car. I'm not sure of the outcome of this debates though. If OK, this could also be an option for you and would open up the number of possible vans.