Sign in to follow this  
Amyb10

Wild Camping

What are your thoughts on wild camping? The kids fancied a night in the caravan so we were a bit naughty and found an empty council field and pitched up for the night. It was only as the night went on we got a bit worried that we didn't actually know the rules/laws on this type of thing! Does anyone do this often or is it a big no no?

So called 'travellers' seem to get away with it; however, that could be part of the problem: waking up in the morning and finding yourself surrounded by other caravans and your car sitting on bricks. Best of luck with whatever you do, there's undoubtedly a plethora of rules and bye-laws against what you did, but all you're liable to get is a grumpy letter.

So i understand it i illegal to wild camp.

There are many rules and reg about it.

So find a local farmer land owner who is approachable and see if you can pitch on a bit of land now and again

Councils normally operate a "No overnight parking" rule, unless a designated lorry park or similar. The reason travellers get away with it, is simply they have no permanent address to serve papers on, there are normally lots of them and the authorities are frightened to act amid cries of persecution etc. As you have a permanent address and you are without numbers,you are an easy target for fines, clamping or tow away, for trespass or anything else they care to throw at you.

How do you know it`s a council field? Could it be private? You could be in more trouble.

Also, PLEASE, for yours and your children`s safety, don`t do it, apart from the legal aspect you make yourselves very vulnerable alone at night

Councils normally operate a "No overnight parking" rule, unless a designated lorry park or similar. The reason travellers get away with it, is simply they have no permanent address to serve papers on, there are normally lots of them and the authorities are frightened to act amid cries of persecution etc. As you have a permanent address and you are without numbers,you are an easy target for fines, clamping or tow away, for trespass or anything else they care to throw at you.

How do you know it`s a council field? Could it be private? You could be in more trouble.

Also, PLEASE, for yours and your children`s safety, don`t do it, apart from the legal aspect you make yourselves very vulnerable alone at night

I tend to agree on the safety side, its not like a motorhome that can just drive off

if you attract the wrong sort of attention.

There are plenty of CLs and CSs and you can dispose of your waste properly,

Many "Wild Campers" should be renamed "Wild Dumpers"

• Like 1

If you want wild camping go to Scotland where it is largely legal. ..and won't upset those of us who like a life without agro and dispute.

Geoff

During the 60's my parents would quite often use lay-bys. I remember a large lay-by opposite the Falls of Lenny that we used every time we went to Scotland. On a couple of occasions we had a piper playing his bagpipes wake us up!

We also used a large lay-by some where just north of Ullapool, We would stay for a week, you could step out of the caravan straight on to the beach, Beautiful views of the Summer Isles as I remember. Probably signs up now stopping you from parking over night in both places now. .

During the 60's my parents would quite often use lay-bys. I remember a large lay-by opposite the Falls of Lenny that we used every time we went to Scotland. On a couple of occasions we had a piper playing his bagpipes wake us up!

We also used a large lay-by some where just north of Ullapool, We would stay for a week, you could step out of the caravan straight on to the beach, Beautiful views of the Summer Isles as I remember. Probably signs up now stopping you from parking over night in both places now. .

Authorities in Scotland are busy removing the "No overnight parking" signs from layby's as they've never been enforceable - but be aware the overnight ban on caravans does apply from 8pm to carparks in Lochaber (Fort William area).

In Scotland, police, landowners representatives and council officials do have the power to make you move on and failure to do so in a reasonable time is a criminal offence.

Single overnight stops on a tour or simply enroute on a long haul are generally tolerated in Scotland but long stays less likely to.

In the Scottish "Crofting Counties" http://www. crofting. scotland. gov. uk/userfiles/file/crofting%20commission/cc%20cso%20telephone%20%20and%20commissioner%20areas%20bmp%202014. pdf no planning permission/exemption is needed for small caravan sites so few CL/CS - but any property holder in that area can accept a caravan - BUT - you need to ask.

Edited by Black Grouse

As I see you are a 'smoggy' perhaps that nice new site on Middlehaven that Sainsburys are not taking might be an ideal venue.

Boro 3-Bolton 0

geoff

I tend to agree on the safety side, its not like a motorhome that can just drive off

if you attract the wrong sort of attention.

There are plenty of CLs and CSs and you can dispose of your waste properly,

Many "Wild Campers" should be renamed "Wild Dumpers"

The other key thing with a motorhome is that the fresh and waste water tanks are on board, no nothing needs dumping on the ground. (I'm not saying that all motorhomers comply with this!!!)

Russ