Sign in to follow this  
chrisheg

Failed Intelligent Drive Control Unit.

I have a two year old Elddis Affinity 574 and the Intelligent Drive control unit has failed. I understand that BPC only guarantee the unit for 12 months. Elddis have indicated that they will consider a warranty claim!

Has anyone had similar problem and if so how did they get on with Elddis? Also if a claim was refused how much was a replacement unit and how much did fitting cost?

I have a two year old Elddis Affinity 574 and the Intelligent Drive control unit has failed. I understand that BPC only guarantee the unit for 12 months. Elddis have indicated that they will consider a warranty claim!

Has anyone had similar problem and if so how did they get on with Elddis? Also if a claim was refused how much was a replacement unit and how much did fitting cost?

what does idc do for the van?

what does idc do for the van?

It's the BPW equivalent of ATC and applies the brakes in the event of excessive lateral sway.

It's the BPW equivalent of ATC and applies the brakes in the event of excessive lateral sway.

like esp for caravans?

like esp for caravans?

Kind of.

Hi

I have now heard that Elddis have refused my warranty claim for the defective IDC unit on the grounds that that component is not covered by the caravans three year warranty.

I really cannot understand how they can refuse when the information given on their website about warranties states

"

At The Explorer Group Ltd we are confident that our new caravans and motorhomes are engineered using the latest manufacturing techniques and advanced materials technology ensuring that, when buying one of our products, you are buying the very best. We extend this philosophy to our customers by offering long term peace of mind and reassurance through our extensive warranty cover.

Your warranty cover commences on the day your new caravan is purchased and comprises two key elements:

1. Three year manufacturer's warranty
  2. Ten year body integrity warranty
Warranty cover Scope

This applies to all new Elddis, Compass, Xplore and Buccaneer products manufactured from 2012 model year onwards.

Three year manufacturer's warranty

Year 1 warranty - Covers all original components, including permanently fitted equipment forming part of the original product specification.

Year 2 and 3 warranty - Covers all original components, including permanently fitted equipment forming part of the original product specification, with the exception of the following items:

• Microwaves
  • Tyres
  • Batteries
  • Windows and glass
  • Deterioration of exterior paint work
  • Soft furnishings, carpets and floor coverings
  • Entertainment equipment
  • Fluorescent tubes, bulbs, LEDs and fuses
  • Plastic and GRP exterior panels
  • Plastic products including A-frame covers, wheel spats and shower trays
  • Minor adjustment of blinds, hinges, catches, stays and doors

Would welcome any advice on this matter. Where should I go now?

Was it the delaer who said it was not covered or the manufacturer?

The IDC is not listed anywhere under the exclusions so I wd speak with your local trading standards re best route to take to get it sorted. As i understand it your application will be to the dealer rather than the manufacturer.

It appears to boil down to whether the IDC was part of the original specification, or some form of extra. If it was an option, you are on sticky ground.

It was certainly not an optional extra - it is standard equipment on that range.

I would be pressuring the dealer as it is clearly original equipment and therefore covered under the terms of the warranty. I cannot believe that an important piece of safety equipment only has a 1 year warranty especially as it is not listed as an exemption from the 3 year cover.

I would certainly not expect any original equipment which failed after only 2 years to cost me money to repair. Although I believe the legislation has or is about to change, it is reasonable to expect an IDC unit to function correctly after 2 years use, especially as it is only in use while the caravan is actually being towed so has in effect failed after probably a matter of hours use. The SOG act is designed to give protection in cases such as this. There are various web sites detailing the first stage of action to take but you may find that a solicitors letter to the retailer has the desired effect.

Feeling much happier tonight. Spoke to Elddis Customer care and they seem to acknowledge that the IDC should be covered under the Warranty and they are intending to approve the warranty claim. Thanks for the useful comments and advice.

That is great news. Have to say I have found Elddis customer services to be fair and reasonable in any transactions I have had with them. I think maybe the manner in which you approach these things sometimes determines the outcome!

I am sorry not everyone has had such good experiences with them but I only speak as I have found. ....so far in 4 years.