Diabetes And Breakdown Cover In Europe.

Does anyone have Type 2 diabetes and for breakdown cover in France do they charge an extra premium for the condition?

Thanks

Honda CRV 2. 2 towing a Swift Challenger Sport 640

Why should having Diabetes have any effect on the cost of breakdown cover?

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

I would be thinking that anyone taking insulin would be at risk from having a hypo (low blood sugar episode) while driving. Diabetics on insulin have to renew their licence every 2 years.

Honda CRV 2. 2 towing a Swift Challenger Sport 640

f you are only talking about breakdown cover for the vehicle then there is no charge if you include medical cover there may be a charge or they may cover you but exclude any problems arising from the diabetes.

knarf

Type 2 no, type 1 is notifiable by law. , but not sure about breakdown cover.

Edited by t5van

I would be thinking that anyone taking insulin would be at risk from having a hypo (low blood sugar episode) while driving. Diabetics on insulin have to renew their licence every 2 years.

That situation has nothing to do with breakdown cover, but it will effect travel insurance.

If you have had a hypo in the last 12 months you should be testing your glucose levels every time before you drive and if on Insulin you should keep a record of the readings.

Even if your diabetes is controlled by tablets the DVSA say you should test before you drive a significant distance.

knarf

Edited by KNARF
  • Like 1

Does anyone have Type 2 diabetes and for breakdown cover in France do they charge an extra premium for the condition?

Thanks

Why would you think anyone would be asked for medical info for breakdown insurance?

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Yes I have Type2, my insurers not interested.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Type 2 diabetes is usually controlled by tablet or diet not injection.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Type 2 is often controlled by insulin it depends on the effectiveness of the medcation.

knarf

If you inject its classed as type 1

Yep. I am type 2. Dad was type 1

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Why would you think anyone would be asked for medical info for breakdown insurance?

John

Did you notice the OP's location?

Not necessarily. Some Type 2s need control by Insulin, and those with kidney failure are unable to take Metformin and various other medication.

2013 Honda CR-V EX iDTEC; 2014 Swift Challenger Sport 514

Incorrect read below

Type 2 diabetes and insulin injections

People with type 2 diabetes may need to take insulin injections, usually for one of two main reasons:

• Low sensitivity to insulin: The more excess body weight we carry, the less sensitive we are to insulin. Being insensitive to insulin means insulin doesn't reduce blood glucose levels as much as it should. People with low insulin sensitivity often need to be injected with insulin to avoid hyperglycemia.
  • Beta cell failure: If you develop insulin resistance, you need more of it to keep your blood glucose levels stable. More insulin production means more work for the pancreas. Over time, the beta cells can become burnt out by the constant strain, and stop producing insulin altogether. Eventually, you can get to a similar situation as someone with type 1 diabetes, in which your body is incapable of producing the amount of insulin you need to keep blood glucose levels under control. Insulin injections are necessary in these situations
  • knarf
Edited by KNARF

No it isn't. Incretin mimetics -e. g. Liraglutide - are administered by injection. This is not normally prescribed for Type 1.

2013 Honda CR-V EX iDTEC; 2014 Swift Challenger Sport 514

Did you notice the OP's location?

What difference does that make?

I can't possibly see why Breakdown cover should be influenced by a medical condition. If the breakdown cover was rolled into a comprehensive travel policy that would be a different matter. Then it would be the health matter that was being looked at. My application for a travel policy is always influenced by the period of time between INR blood tests. Less than once a month is reason to refuse.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Are we talking Red Pennant as it is Europe cover and is effected by medical condition?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I am a Type 2 diabetic. I do not inject, I do not take insulin.

I do use Metaformin and Glicazide.

I get a DVLA driven medical check up every three years as I am over 75.

I have breakdown cover and no medical questions asked when I took out Breakdown Cover with Green Flag.

In fact nobody ever seems interested when I say Type 2 Diabetic.

The only time I have been asked apart from travel insurance is for Car insurance and it does increase the premium.

knarf

I have never had any issues worldwide with insurance of any form for Type ! diabetes that I have had for over 20 years.

So this seem an odd decision

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Some Insurers don't charge extra for type 2 diabetes controlled by diet or tablets others do .

I insured our M/Home yesterday and it added £20 to the premium.

Every time I insure my car or M/home I have to declare my diabetes and the quoted premium takes it into consideration.

I know that it is often an addition as i have obtained quotes without declaring it and then declaring it from the same company and there is usually a difference.

knarf

Edited by KNARF