Freelander???

sue and john

Guest john1215

What do you want, how much money, do you want 4 wheel drive, economy, comfort, stability - there are lots to choose from and not necessarily freelanders

john1215

Find another Freelander without problems - great tow car.

6470[/snapback]

Could be a hard task to find a Freelander without any problems.

Pete. (Used to drive a new Freelander but too many problems)

Hi John

Mine was a TD4 I even waited for the latest model to come out. (Jan 04.)

Big tale of woe with the Dealer and fuel pump packed up (last straw) in France with 7,000 miles on clock.

Pete

Hello John,

I have just bought a new TD4 after owning a Z3 and its great. I read loads of reports on them befor buying and it seems to be the 1. 8 engine that has the headgasket problems.

Pete I know you had a bad one, but That could happen to any make of car or jeep if your unlucky??

If you like it John try to find a TD4 one, I love mine, sat high up, great views, and the LandRover Badge :)

However have to say (pete ;) ) the X-trails are popular on caravan sites. ...

What swung it for me is that I wanted a 4x4 I could take the back off. ..cool :o)

Have fun looking that the best part. ..

Scott

saw a really nice freelander :) found out it has head gasket and gear box trouble :( really like this car what are the alternatives???

Hi, Don't be put off by to many off putting comments with regard to the Freelander. I'm on my third Freelander and only do about 80,000 miles a year, yes, eighty thousand, never had any problems with any of the previous 2 Freelanders or my current one, I do'nt believe its just luck. TD4.

80k a year !!! wow what do you do? I thought my brother does a lot at 65k, they change their cars every 18 months at work but depreciation must be shocking !!!

Love my Freelander By the way :)

Scott

Scott

Easy, Private Hire. A lot of the midnight oil!!!

I too love the Freelander, on my third.

Happy motoring

Rob.

If you want a reliable/quality 4x4 look at Toyota. I have a Landcruiser Colorado 3. 0 D-4D Auto it is superb - can't fault it. A smaller alternative is the RAV-4.

Good luck and remember have a LONG test drive before you buy. Diesels need to be well warmed through before you can judge noise/comfort levels.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Only dismiss the 1. 8 petrol Freelander

The Td4 (192 lbft of torque) is the BMW engine from the 3-series and is seriously good, and came in Oct 2000 (X-reg) so there are plenty about. Avoid the diesel before the Td4 as it is weak (151 lbft of torque).

I have had 2 Td4's now both autos, both did 40k totally trouble free, and both towed a Coachman Pastiche 530 (1450kg) about 5k per annum, including Spain each summer.

To get the best out of the car, I had the second one chipped (236 lbft of torque) which made a very relaxed 70-75 mph cruiser in France.

The 1. 8 petrol (118 lbft or torque) only has enough grunt to pull itself, and not a caravan. It also suffered from head gasket failure, usually because of overheating whilst arabella tows 2 tons of horse to the gymkana. ....

The V6 petrol is also a good engine, but rather thirsty.

If you look hard enough, someone will have a horror story for any car - I have a friend who is on his 3rd Toyota engine in 70k miles.

Hello Meld3,

I agree with you, if you look into any car / jeep you will find people with horror stories,

I love my TD4 :)

What chip did you get? I'm looking at a power modual that 'plugs' in so I can take it off for servicing? 30 odd bhp more and 90lbs ft torque ?

cheers

Scott

Think its called TuningBox - takes 5 mins to plug into the ECU and I chose it so it could be removed before servicing. Just remember to declare it on insurance.

Most insurers won't touch a 'modified' car, however CIS (Co-op) were happy to cover me with no increase in premium.

Fuel economy slightly improved with box fitted, well worth the £400.

The Td4 is fitted in a de-tuned state and the box corrects this. Basically BMW wouldn't sell Land Rover the engine with the same power settings as the 3-series (so says my Land Rover Engineer neighbour!).

Hi, Have you looked at a Suburu Forrester 2. 0XT seems to be a great unit. Also won towcar of the year. Just need to ckeck tow weights. also have great reliability from every thing I've read. Prices are also similar to that of Freelanders having looked aroung them yesterday. Dave

Thanks Meld3

When I was ringing round for my car I specifically asked them for a quote with the power module fitted, as the car was new in Jan 05, I didn't want to have to change the insurance in say 3 months when / if I decide to get one.

Insurance only went up £5o

Cheers

Scott