Why So Many "motor Movers"

nosnibora

Four star you have had plenty to say on the subject so must be dear to your heart. As for wording what do you expect I am a Yorkshireman!!. :rolleyes:, but I am not intimated by anyone, so unless the mods have other ideas I am here to stay, you never know you may all get to like me :) despite my inexperience as a caravanner, I mean It was only in 1967 when my parents started and I still start my age off with a 5 so I have a lot to learn :lol: Better with emotions I think. Nos

As I am a Jedi Knight I simply use the FORCE to manoeuvre and park my van. When I have a bad day and the FORCE is weak, I use my MM, simples.

• Like 2

Well that livened things up a bit, I am not perfect as I am human. I tend to use CLs so I do tow offroad, if that's your definition, I have a 4x4, been in an owners club for 20+ yrs, had twin axles for 30yrs. I am disabled so cannot push a caravan, I use my vehicle, the wife is disabled so when I hitch up I do it myself. It appears that a lot of you have your caravan parked/stored in tight places, what did you do before Motor Movers? or didn't you caravan?. If you care to read my opening it was two other topics that prompted me to ask this question. I get the feeling that I am at the first day at school and you have all been here along time. I did not mean to offend anyone just try to open an adult debate on the growth in the usage of these things, only a couple of you has mentioned the extra weight comment, head in the sand perhaps. The reason not posted before is I had forgot I was on this forum, as I am building a new house I had other things to do, nearly finished now so looking forward to get back to something we love, Look forward to all your comments. Nos

Fairenuffski.

I will elaborate on this story when I have calmed down later . .but this so called holiday park insisted on us sighting the van, nose in . Now the pitch sloped steeply towards another van and it would be impossible to drive it in. ..so I played devils advocate and how does everybody else cope with this ridiculous situation and the management said " We assume that you will have a M M fitted"

Beggars belief.

As I am a Jedi Knight I simply use the FORCE to manoeuvre and park my van. When I have a bad day and the FORCE is weak, I use my MM, simples.

No Jedi Knights in Sheffield. ...Klingons yes, but no Jedi.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We have a mover, but it came with the van. I have a question, is it better to have a pneumatic tyre on the jockey or not?

Ray.

kia sedona, Avondale frystar 55

Never use holiday parks, too many caravans :D Three star, is this aimed at me? do you really want an answer? Ok then. I dont know mine have always been solid, its one less tyre to keep blown up, however If you are using a MM then a pneumatic tyre will be better as it will be acting as the caravans third or fifth wheel, less chance of sinking into soft ground IMHO. Anyhow got to go now it 36 C, its beer-o-clock time and the pool is beckoning, will read your many overnight posts in the morning, sleep well. Nos

Edited by nosnibora
  • Like 1

We have a mover, but it came with the van. I have a question, is it better to have a pneumatic tyre on the jockey or not?

Ray.

Good question, i would also like to know.

I don't have a MM, i am new to towing, i have been on a towing course and I have taken my B+E test. I have spent a lot of time practicing reversing and I am fully aware that I will continue to make mistakes but being nearly 40 i am comfortable enough in my own skin to not worry about what the audience thinks.

I think MM's are brilliant, like the biggest remote control toy ever!! But with us being a large family I see the only reason I would get a MM would be if it became absolutely necessary for any reason, disability, storage location any reason really that moves it to become essential. Now when the kids have given us back our freedom and payload is much less of an issue and we can make more use of the cars limits then I see no reason why a MM wouldn't find its way onto the order form, whats wrong with making life easier? Even if you find reversing easy whats wrong with easier.

Its a holiday afterall!

We only went in to have a look!!!

In all honesty, I think post #1 was a waste of space. Owners fit movers to their caravans for a host of reasons, and all of them good ones as far as the owners are concerned. I have reached my 80th. , and having a mover has probably allowed me to continue caravanning whereas I might have had to give it up.

It has nothing to do with the ability to reverse - I can confidently do this if and when necessary. Even so, a mover does make it safer to manoeuvre a caravan in confined spaces, without the need to keep getting out of the tow car to check the situation - bear in mind that there are some caravanners who travel alone, or who have a partner who is too disabled to be able to circumnavigate the caravan whilst giving instructions.

For many owners, the advent of movers has extended the potential length of time that they can enjoy their pastime - would anybody begrudge them that?

My advice is to get on with doing your own thing, and not criticise others because they have different priorities. We are all free-thinking human beings (I hope), not automatons to follow the dictat of one single view.

• Like 3

Four star you have had plenty to say on the subject so must be dear to your heart. As for wording what do you expect I am a Yorkshireman!!. :rolleyes:, but I am not intimated by anyone, so unless the mods have other ideas I am here to stay, you never know you may all get to like me :) despite my inexperience as a caravanner, I mean It was only in 1967 when my parents started and I still start my age off with a 5 so I have a lot to learn :lol: Better with emotions I think. Nos

Four star is not his forum name but is his status. Just thought I would point that out. :)

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

It may be that Nosnibora has been deliberately provocative to start "a rat running" from the safety of France.

I have been caravanning since 1973 and am perfectly able to reverse my 7. 99 meter long 1. 9 tonne twin axle caravan. I have four motor-movers fitted as I would not be able to get my caravan out of my drive as the country road is too narrow to make a turn with tow-car attached and its length is considerably longer than the road width. So far they have never been used on site.

Bout time someone organised an obstical course for vans with M M with 2 classes of skill . ..one worked from out side and the other sitting in the van and driving it from there. ..would be fun, but slooowww

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies ref: jockey wheel. It's just that when I try to move the van by hand, the jockey wheel doesn't follow the direction the van is going. But raised, turns freely.

Ray.

kia sedona, Avondale frystar 55

I don't need a 4x4 as I have a motor mover which will get me off CL sites with wet grass ;)

The caravan also has a pneumatic tyre & the mover is very fuel efficient :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Four star is not his forum name but is his status. Just thought I would point that out. :)

I wasn't aware of a member called Four Star, but maybe that person Four Star has an opinion with something to say, much like the OP has something to say.

I am very glad the OP is not intimated either, that would be a terrible thing. ...

• Like 1

If the OP had just put a few 'thees' and 'thous' in his piece, I'd swear he was in that Monty Python sketch with the Yorkshiremen all trying to outbrag each other. Priceless.

• Like 1

If at first you don't succeed. ... redefine success.

Hope you're not calling me a Yorkshireman, that's an insult to actual Yorkshirefolk! ;)

Because I wanted one!

Seriously, without mine I wouldn't be able to get my van on the drive. It's also very useful and less stressful to engage it as soon as you pull up on site, then no shunting around of the van and strain on the cars clutch etc.

Also less bossing from Swmbo. ...

Thanks for your comments, sorry not reading your name correctly. Well it did liven things up a bit, as I said it was not my intention to offend, but questions I have asked have gone un answered ie what did you do before you had a MM?. Is having a MM the only reason for you to take up caravanning? It seems that a lot of you are only able to carry on with your hobby thanks to a MM. Nos

Thanks for your comments, sorry not reading your name correctly. Well it did liven things up a bit, as I said it was not my intention to offend, but questions I have asked have gone un answered ie what did you do before you had a MM?. Is having a MM the only reason for you to take up caravanning? It seems that a lot of you are only able to carry on with your hobby thanks to a MM. Nos

What did I do before? Pushed it and pulled it.

What did I do before I had a satnav? Maps spread on the passenger seat/

What did I do before I had a watch? Stared at the sun and guessed the time.

• Like 6

Volvo XC70 D5 Auto SE Lux

Bailey Unicorn Valencia

What did I do before? Pushed it and pulled it.

What did I do before I had a satnav? Maps spread on the passenger seat/

What did I do before I had a watch? Stared at the sun and guessed the time.

That sums it up. I wonder if the OP still drives a 30 year old 4 x 4 he wouldn't drive a modern one would he?

Alan

That sums it up. I wonder if the OP still drives a 30 year old 4 x 4 he wouldn't drive a modern one would he?

Alan

I thought he was talking about the horses :unsure:

I had a vision of 4 horses and a wild west stage coach :blush:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

It makes me wonder if the OP, an apparent professional tow person, has found the demand for his services and consequent income stream much reduced due caravanners having the temerity to fit motor movers to their caravans?

Whilst staying at a full one hundred and ten pitch site last weekend I counted the caravans fitted with motor movers. Only twenty five were fitted with motor movers. There were ten motorhomes or campervans on site, three trailer tents and twelve seasonally pitched twin axle caravans none of which had motor movers.

Well Dee Tee and AlanNancy, if you could take time out and get your brains into a forward gear :D you should have checked on my "other posts" to see if you can find anything interesting about me! to save you the time I have a new Hilux top of the range 4x4, you will also see that I intend to buy a new Hobby in January, not sure which model yet undecided do I go for a 7Mt body so I can tow in the UK or do I go for 8. 4Mt, or do I keep my Abbey and buy a yacht. As for moving caravans MM are a bit slow down the M1 :rolleyes: Decisions decisions, terrible thing being retired. TTFN Nos

Edited by nosnibora

Well Dee Tee and AlanNancy, if you could take time out and get your brains into a forward gear :D you should have checked on my "other posts" to see if you can find anything interesting about me! to save you the time I have a new Hilux top of the range 4x4, you will also see that I intend to buy a new Hobby in January, not sure which model yet undecided do I go for a 7Mt body so I can tow in the UK or do I go for 8. 4Mt, or do I keep my Abbey and buy a yacht. As for moving caravans MM are a bit slow down the M1 :rolleyes: Decisions decisions, terrible thing being retired. TTFN Nos

Reckon there are one or two on here hope you go for the yacht and sell the Abbey! ^_^ Understandable though when you claim movers are gimmicks (a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or trade.)

Edited by SamD
  • Like 1

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.