Sign in to follow this  
Burgo

2013 Avante Avtex Aerial :(

Ok, I'm just about to ditch my useless aerial.

We have put up with it for far to long now that I now need to act.

What have other unfortunate 2013 owners done to resolve this.

I see the later vans now have a Svensen amplifier. But I have read that the new aerial is now a low gain and not a high gain, and that the amplifier will not work with the high gain aerials.

Visited a local caravan dealer who just advised purchasing a status or visionplus system.

Have also seen posts mentioning purchasing a adjustable attenuator.

Just wanting to know what others have done first.

Use a 25m coaxial cable and site bollard if available, and bought one of these for when there's no bollard connection.

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Caravan-Accessories-Image-Digital-Aerial/dp/B002KA02SI/ref=pd_cp_263_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TYW63C0EZTYQ2FZQHJ2

Go for the Status. We never fail to get a signal but do have an Avtex TV which I am sure makes a difference,

http://www. aerialsandtv. com/touringaerials. html sells a kit with a good quality log periodic aerial which would work as well, and probably better than the Status 620 kit linked to.

You can then use a masthead amplifier, if needed, on some more remote sites.

http://www. aerialsandtv. com/touringaerials. html sells a kit with a good quality log periodic aerial which would work as well, and probably better than the Status 620 kit linked to.

You can then use a masthead amplifier, if needed, on some more remote sites.

+1

Ok, I'm just about to ditch my useless aerial.

We have put up with it for far to long now that I now need to act.

What have other unfortunate 2013 owners done to resolve this.

I see the later vans now have a Svensen amplifier. But I have read that the new aerial is now a low gain and not a high gain, and that the amplifier will not work with the high gain aerials.

Visited a local caravan dealer who just advised purchasing a status or visionplus system.

Have also seen posts mentioning purchasing a adjustable attenuator.

Just wanting to know what others have done first.

As I posted in another thread earlier if you have a status fitted (even by an approved workshop) you will invalidate the warranty on your van including the 10 year ingress. Elddis have confirmed this to me. If you don't want to take that risk then there is nothing you can do except fit an external antenna using a suction bracket (or similar) and connect via an external socket.

Funnily enough one such antenna that does perform quite well is made by Avtex, it's the STH3000 and retails for around £40. I have used one on almost every trip as the Avtex whip often suffers with pixilation. I already have the newer low gain antenna with Svenson booster. The problem of course with such solutions is that it means messing around mounting an antenna every time you go away which is far from ideal.

However until such time that Elddis are prepared to help 2013-2015 owners you only have two choices. .. risk taking a chance with the warranty or fit an externally mounted one when the Avtex whip fails. Not a great situation but it's the sad reality. ..

Mark.

• Like 1

I cannot believe that you would invalidate the whole warranty by changing the aerial on your van. I can only say I am glad I haven't bought an Elddis if that is the case. Are you sure you heard that correctly? I would want that put in writing if that is the case.

Hi, many thanks for all the replies. Looks like I will have to go down the route of a third party aerial stuck to side of van / a frame. I will try chasing Avtex today but don't hold out much hope as I believe the aerial is the problem.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I cannot believe that you would invalidate the whole warranty by changing the aerial on your van. I can only say I am glad I haven't bought an Elddis if that is the case. Are you sure you heard that correctly? I would want that put in writing if that is the case.

I already have it in writing. ...

Mark.

I already have it in writing. ...

Mark.

Would it be the case if a dealer swapped it?

Swift would allow it as long as any problem that was found with the van wasn't caused by any any alterations if additions.

Would it be the case if a dealer swapped it?

Swift would allow it as long as any problem that was found with the van wasn't caused by any any alterations if additions.

Yes, it does not matter who fits it. .. the question I put to them was whether I could ask the approved workshop I use (who does warranty work) to fit a status directional at my own expense. The response was that they do not advise this as there is no support in the roof structure for such an antenna and that if fitted it would invalidate the caravan warranty. I have no more information than that.

Now whether they would accept a warranty claim to another part of the caravan unrelated to the antenna is debatable. The statement seems quite clear cut to me. I think it's pretty astonishing that they are happy to leave all 2013-15 owners in this situation without offering any solution whatsoever but that seems to be their approach. This is my first Elddis caravan and will certainly be my last even with a directional on the 2016 models.

Mark.

Yes, it does not matter who fits it. .. the question I put to them was whether I could ask the approved workshop I use (who does warranty work) to fit a status directional at my own expense. The response was that they do not advise this as there is no support in the roof structure for such an antenna and that if fitted it would invalidate the caravan warranty. I have no more information than that.

Now whether they would accept a warranty claim to another part of the caravan unrelated to the antenna is debatable. The statement seems quite clear cut to me. I think it's pretty astonishing that they are happy to leave all 2013-15 owners in this situation without offering any solution whatsoever but that seems to be their approach. This is my first Elddis caravan and will certainly be my last even with a directional on the 2016 models.

Mark.

Unfortunately you are not on your own regarding Elddis. There are quite a few dissatisfied owners on here due to Elddis customer relations.

Unfortunately you are not on your own regarding Elddis. There are quite a few dissatisfied owners on here due to Elddis customer relations.

Slightly different experience here. Dissatisfied with quality of the product and dissatisfied with supplying dealer, but Elddis Customer Relations were more than helpful.

Hi, many thanks for all the replies. Looks like I will have to go down the route of a third party aerial stuck to side of van / a frame. I will try chasing Avtex today but don't hold out much hope as I believe the aerial is the problem.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Elddis have just refused my dealers request for putting this piece of junk right, saying it is out of one year warranty, as i see it should come under original fixed equipment and is not mentioned in exclusions part of warranty or have i read it wrong, am considering another course of action will post as to how i get on.

Had a lengthy conversation with Avtex regarding aerial.

They sending me a test lead. This will tell me if problem is aerial or cabling.

The difference between a 2013 van and 2015 is that the aerial no longer has an inbuilt amplifier. They have now taken amplifier into a separate box and split the signal within the amplifier as quite often than not in the 2013 vans it was mostly the splitter (third party) that was the problem.

If once I get the lead it turns our to be the aerial, then as Flynn stated above it covered for 12 months only so will be an expense.

If however the fault is the wiring, then depending on warranty this may be covered.

So worth a phone call to Avtex to get a test lead.

Had a lengthy conversation with Avtex regarding aerial.

They sending me a test lead. This will tell me if problem is aerial or cabling.

The difference between a 2013 van and 2015 is that the aerial no longer has an inbuilt amplifier. They have now taken amplifier into a separate box and split the signal within the amplifier as quite often than not in the 2013 vans it was mostly the splitter (third party) that was the problem.

If once I get the lead it turns our to be the aerial, then as Flynn stated above it covered for 12 months only so will be an expense.

If however the fault is the wiring, then depending on warranty this may be covered.

So worth a phone call to Avtex to get a test lead.

This may help you but it all depends on the sites you visit. I have been through this process with Avtex and Elddis over the past 18 months. I have a 2013 van but now with the newer version of the antenna and separate booster. Things have improved over the original version with the built-in booster but it is still far from the performance of a directional antenna. I have proved this in multiple locations comparing the performance of different antennas with a pro signal tester.

There are many people on the forum who are quite happy with the antenna but is just down to the sites you happen to visit. For me I have found that it does not work reliably enough in most of the sites we use. We have had no issues with directional antennas at any of these sites in the past.

So yes I would do the testing as you plan to and if possible get a warranty claim submitted to have the antenna swapped to the new version. That will almost certainly improve things, but it's not a permanent fix. There is only one way to fix it permanently and Elddis do not seem willing to help us.

Mark.

This may help you but it all depends on the sites you visit. I have been through this process with Avtex and Elddis over the past 18 months. I have a 2013 van but now with the newer version of the antenna and separate booster. Things have improved over the original version with the built-in booster but it is still far from the performance of a directional antenna. I have proved this in multiple locations comparing the performance of different antennas with a pro signal tester.

There are many people on the forum who are quite happy with the antenna but is just down to the sites you happen to visit. For me I have found that it does not work reliably enough in most of the sites we use. We have had no issues with directional antennas at any of these sites in the past.

So yes I would do the testing as you plan to and if possible get a warranty claim submitted to have the antenna swapped to the new version. That will almost certainly improve things, but it's not a permanent fix. There is only one way to fix it permanently and Elddis do not seem willing to help us.

Mark.

Just about sums it up then.

I have a 2014 Buccaneer with Avtex aeriel. Is this caravan likely to have the 'newer' version of the Avtex? With a separate booster? Cant say i have noticed the booster anywhere but aeriel terminates inside caravan within a box section so could very well be a booster in there. Appreciate your advice pls guys.

Hi Volvovaner

If you can't see an amplifier box near your aerial I would say you have the older Avtex aerial. Do you have a signal splitter unit. Mine is located in front seating area near battery box. If you do have a splitter, then you have the older version of aerial.

Hope this helps.

Hi Burgo, thx v much, definitely got a splitter, fixed to floor near battery box so looks like older style aeriel. Tbh, altho it has limted use so far, we have found it to be pretty much ok.

So I could put an amplifier into the system as it is the older aeriel if I wished?

Hi volvovanner

You have the old aerial but it already has an amplifier built into the base on the roof. I'm no expert from here, but I don't think adding an extra booster will help - if you have a spare then it's always worth plugging in and seeing.

What Avtex advise is bypassing the splitter as in most cases these are at fault.

Not so in my case as proved with test lead from Avtex tonight.

I have taken lead direct from aerial to TV and retuned - getting exact same number of channels whether I use this or keep to original wiring.

ok thx Burgo, think i'll leave as is and see wht happens.

Watch TV = simple

Bad picture/signal = very complicated

• Like 1

Burgo is right. .. if you have the older version of the antenna don't add a booster, it will only make things worse :) . One easy way to tell which antenna you have is by the appearance of the whip. If it looks like it has wire coil wrapped around it then it is the older one, if it is smooth in appearance then it is the newer one.

The older one has a 12v supply for it's internal booster. The option in the setup menu of the TV to power a booster outputs 5v through the coax. This won't make any difference to either of the Avtex whip antennas. it is used by the portable Avtex directional antenna (STH3000).

The separate booster for the newer version of the whip antenna is supposed to be fitted close to the antenna output with the output lead from the antenna connected directly to the input of the booster. it is unlikely to be behind the plastic trim that covers the wiring, that is a bit of a rats nest in there full of wires for the radio etc.

I would also guess you have the older one. Elddis have been authorising warranty claims to replace these so if you find that it does not work at the sites you visit then have a word with your dealer.

Mark.

Great info, thanks Mark. It is definitely the older aeriel with the spiral appearance on our 2014 Buccaneer. To be honest, on the sites we have used in the (sadly very limited) time we have to use it is has been fairly ok and in any case doesnt sound like the newer version with the amplifier will be much better.