Radio Rear View Camera And Habitation Relay

So earlier this year I treated myself to a pair of radio rear view/reversing cameras.

Now one of them operates as a reversing camera on the tug and is fine.

The other one is a rear view camera for when the van is in tow (yes I do have Grand Aero towing mirrors fitted as well)

The present van is not fitted with a habitation relay (1992 vintage) so it was no problem to pick up a supply from a nearby light supply and install a 12V plug/socket to power the camera.

But the next van will have a habitation relay making this solution unworkable!

So to provide a supply I have a couple of options

1/ Extend wiring from the fridge supply to the camera to operate it when to engine is running, this has a number of advantages but I'm a bit unsure about routing the cable as I'm to too sure about possibly drilling holes in the floor to route it. (as we have a rear center mirror the camera just sits at the bottom of it.

2/ Purchase a small 12V alarm battery to operate the camera and charge it up before journeys from the 12V system or a dedicated charger, being aware tat it will need a lower charge current than the main leisure battery.

Thoughts?

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

As I read the diagram the only on-board power will be to the fridge with all other disconnected by the habitation relay.

This would require additional wiring virtually front to back or mid to back.

Hence my separate battery idea which gives a removable unit that could also be used elsewhere (just thought of that)

Could you not use the 13 pin plug system to power the camera

That will be one hell of a hook up cable!

Where will the camera be mounted and how will you wire to that, through, over or under the van?

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

The camera is not to be mounted, we have a rear window that crosses the center of the rear so it clips into that with the lens underneath.

A minute or less to set up and set down. Floor level cupboard in washroom for battery to sit in.

Transmitter will probably be further forward for the best signal

On our Sterling (2013), there is a permanent supply to the Thetford toilet. Even when the car engine is running or at any time without the power turned on, you can flush the bog.

Get it checked out, it has a fault.

I ran a wire from the permanent live from the car to the transmitter at the back of the van under the van floor The camera is mounted in the number plate surround. The transmitter is at the back of the van and the signal reaches the car no problem

Get it checked out, it has a fault.

If it has my Sterling has the same fault and so does every other Sterling I looked at be fore I bought mine.

• Like 1

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone