Sign in to follow this  
jackieann62

Toilet Flush Not Working

We have an Unicorn Madrid 2011, the toilet Flush is suddenly not working, my husband thought it may be run by a battery but have not been able to find it.

Any advice would be very helpful. Thanking you Jackie

There should be a fuse at the back of the cassette. You may find that it has blown or become corroded. Suggest you take out the cassette and have a look.

The electric flush uses the caravan battery - so master switch must be ON and the meter indicating 12V+. Check the handbook / service manual for the 12V car-style fuse to ensure that hasn't failed for whatever reason.

One common fault is for the pump impeller to stick and, despite power getting to the motor, it is stalled. http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/105672-thetford-c200e-pump-not-working/

The press-button panel has been known to unclip inside and so pressing the plastic membrane does nothing. Careful lifting of the membrane to investigate may be required.

Have had same problem in the past with impeller seizing. I freed it off several times but the problem

kept occuring, very awkward as restricted room. Replaced pump and had done with it.

If it is the pump, a genuine one is quite expensive, most people fit another make, available from ebay

I believe Comet is the brand. Let`s hope it is something simple as others suggest.

A common problem with electric flush toilets is, over time the pink sanitiser gums up the impellor in the submersible pump.

To clean it prize off the flush button panel, (it’s generally held in place with sticky goo.) This will give access to the pump and its impellor. Prodding, poking and turning the impellor by hand will free it off. Make sure it’s clean before putting things back together. It should then be good for another season or two.

It didn`t work for me, packed up 3 times in as many weeks and no sign of any goo being added.

On go 3, after freeing off and before replacing, I dumped it in a bucket of water on the loo seat and

ran it repeatedly to dispel any gunge or debris that might be in it, - nothing, so replaced when it

packed up shortly after this. I wonder if periods of submerging and then drying out cause them to seize

I drain everything as much as poss. when I travel, and in winter it stays drained down (dry) for long

periods

Ours didn't work once when we set up - the fuse on ours is under the cassette and had become corroded so I cleaned the terminals and replaced the fuse and it has been ok since - touch wood.

Same problem with our van. I phoned Whale who said that you should fill flush tank with fresh water AND Bleech and let it sit for a few days. The Bleech will kill any bacteria build up on the pump. Drain the flush tank after a couple of days. Over the winter months push the flush button once a month to stop the pump from ceasing up.

That`s interesting what Whale have to say, as I would have thought the bleach content would damage the seals in toilet cassette

which I think is mad by Thetford.

I had this problem a little while ago. Took the tank out, checked the 3amp fuse which was fine so checked the PCB under the button - carefully lever the whole panel out and then extracted the board from its white plastic holder (after disconnecting the contactor block). Cleaned the contacts and block with electric cleaner stuff and cotton buds, reassembled and it worked immediately. Guess if that doesn't work it may well be the pump. BTW my toilet is a Thetford C250 in a 2009 caravan.

Hi all, read all the above good advice, we have problems with our c250 Thetford and although I've managed to remove safely the flush button membrane and accessed the PCB I can see no signs of an impeller. .?

Any advice appreciated

post-32003-0-16276200-1474310245_thumb.jpeg

Edited by tommo11

Hi Tommo

You have the C250 model, which is different to the models that some of the other members are describing possibly the C200 CWE, which would explain why you could not find the pump.

If you take a look at the three links they may be of some help.

http://www. thetford-europe. com/download-product/c250/

https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=N8DhC291zI0

https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=CNbznuzQV-4

Andrew

• Like 1

Hi Andrew, many thanks for that.

Just repaired a Truma flush toilet (flush not pumping) fuse was blown and pump seased up,.    Remedy was to take ou the pump turn the pum with a small screw driver until loose ,then apply  wd40 oil and work .reasemble .works perfect .

I have a 1993 sprite and I don't know how to get the loo to flush. I'm on mains electric no battery connected. And it's the only thing that don't work I have read the book but dose not help. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I don't have the pump on all the time only when I need to use water.

Regards Amanda 

12 minutes ago, Amanda plummer said:

I have a 1993 sprite and I don't know how to get the loo to flush. I'm on mains electric no battery connected. And it's the only thing that don't work I have read the book but dose not help. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I don't have the pump on all the time only when I need to use water.

Regards Amanda 

At that age, it's probably a manual flush, no electric involved.

Have you used it before and it no longer works, or is this the first time?

If the latter - there's probably 2 x large knobs each side of the pan. One opens the trap to let waste empty, the other twists approx 45° to flush the water which you (should) have already filled in the header tank.

Posted (edited)

https://www.thetford-europe.com/gb/products/toilets/cassette-toilets/c2-c3-c4-no-longer-available is the most likely toilet (unless a porta potti type).

They came as manual pump (C4) with flush tank, electric flush with a flush tank (C2) and electric push-button from the main caravan water supply's pump (C3) ... so you need to identify which variety of toilet you have first.

Is there a swivel-out water filling funnel in the compartment above the waste holding tank?  No=C3 and your flush water will be pumped via the main caravan pump so that will need to be on. 

Sometimes there's a readable model number label in the compartment when the holding tank is removed.

Edited by Rodders53