Towing A Coachman Pastiche 520/4

alwinharrison

Hello to all

I am new to the forum, just registered tonight.

I am thinking of buying a Pastiche 520/4. I have heard, and read good reports about Coachman Caravans, and we like the look and interior of the 520/4.

My question is how do you rate them for towing stability?

I currently have a Abbey 518 twin axle, which is getting a bit long in the tooth, but it still tows superbly behind my SWB Isuzu Trooper.

The 520/4 is the same body length, but single axle,and this concerns my slightly.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated

Hi there

You need have no fears. I tow my Pastiche 520/4 with a Frontera estate Olympus and you do not know it is there. It is a well built but heavy van. I find it rock steady at 65/68 on French Autoroutes and have never had any bother at all. My tow ball limit is 112 kg and I try to run around 100 kg noseweight as this is 7%. I should also say I have the Alko 2004 stabiliser.

Go for it - you will like it. Join the owners club and try a rally - they are an ecxellent crowd

Regards

David

Thanks for that, the Frontera and Trooper are similar vehicles so I feel happier after reading your comments.

The Trooper is an excellent towcar, I used to tow the Abbey with an original model Range Rover, but the Trooper leaves it standing for power, and stability.

The Pastiche is a 2002 model, it has obviously been cherished and is fitted with the Alko stabiliser although possibly an earlier type than yours.

Alwin

My first pastiche was a 2002 model bought at the show. Swopped it last year for the current one. I was going to fit my AKS2000 stabiliser hitch. That is the one with the knuckle on it. I have always had to do a routine to hitch up as the AKS fouled the spare wheel cover. The new 2004 version was just out when we went to pick it up so I bought that and it did not foul. My new one has the 2004 as standard. If you want to know anything else just ask. But you will have no problems towing as it is a very stable van. I like to keep up with the traffic without doing excessive speed when hooked up and I have never had any worries up to 70 [in France]!!

Best regards

David

I am convinced, we did a deal on the Pastiche today. I am picking it up next Wednesday.

It has one year manufacturers warranty left and is virtually mint condition, has been used by a couple as a Two Berth, the cushions for the bunks are unused, still sealed in plastic.

I have never been a winter caravanner before, but just maybe we will have to try it out quite soon. :rolleyes:

Regards

Picked up the Pastiche this afternoon-

David- it is all you said as regards towing stability. :D The tow home of about 40 Miles most of it on the M62 and M1 was superb. Granted it was empty, no gas bottles or equipment, but when the HGV's passed it was very stable.

Took it up to about 60, and the only thing that bothered the outfit were the " Tram lines" in the nearside lane as usual, but just as good as the twin axle Abbey.

Having a few problems with the Alko stabiliser hitch, have to hitch up with the Trooper over to the right, and the back door open otherwise the handle will not go up for the spare wheel on the door. I guess you had similar problems.

Does the later type Alko 2004 hitch alleviate this problem ? if so I might change it. The dealer said they would do me a part exchange on mine if I wanted to change.

Am now going to sit down with a very thick folder of instruction books etc :blink:

Regards

Hi

Sorry for delay in replying. Have just returned from our annual non-caravan holiday in Tenerife!

I did have the hitch up problem with all my previous vans. I used to have the AKS 2000 hitch. This is the one with the "Knuckle" on the red handle. It always fouled the Frontera spare wheel cover. I could hitch up straight but had to go through a "Reverse - lower onto ball - open door - lift handle - hitch up - lower handle - close door" routine.

When I bought the Pastiche they were going to change over the AKS hitch for me. Then I noticed the AKS 2004 had just come out and was on special offer in the shop. Wandahome told me it should fit without fouling so on this understanding I bought it off them. When fitted it was perfect as the red handle is a lot flatter. So if you have got the ealier one I would suggest you get it swopped on the basis that if it solves your problem you will buy it.

I do know of people that had the knuckle on the earlier one cut off but I was always loathe to do this on the pricipal that Alko put it there for a reason [although I could never see what it was!!

I am glad you like the van - we have always been and would not now have any other make. Join the owners club and try and go on the Factory rally - it is great fun and you see how your caravan is made.

Regards