Route From Cheshire To Swanage

Hi all,

I’m going to be taking the van from Cheshire to Swanage, and the route-planners are offering me various possibilities.

The first part is straightforward … M6 south to Brum. Then there’s 3 variations on offer … two to the SW using the M5, and one to the SSE using the M40.

Basically it comes down to the final run-in to Swanage …

1/ Bath, Warminster, Shaftesbury, Blandford Forum and Wareham (249m, 4'52").

2/ Taunton, Yeovil and Dorchester (277m, 5'12").

3/ Oxford, Winchester, New Forest and Poole (272m, 4'40").

(I obviously don’t intend to go into any of the above-mentioned towns!).

Any thoughts on the best route please?

TIA, John.

Edited by Johnaldo

I've done both option 2 and option 3 - personally I prefer the Taunton route. If you are travelling on a Saturday though, you might find the M5 to be overloaded with holidaymakers and the Oxford route serve you better.

I'm down that way again in October and will be via Taunton southwards and t'uther way northwards.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Despite sometimes experiencing delays on the slip road exiting the M40 my preferred route from West Cheshire, from where I would travel via the A41/M54 to join M6 south of Hilton Park services, would be route 3.

Cheshire is a large county, but coming from where we live in Wirral, I reach the M6 at J16 via the M53, A51 and A500. I would then go via your route 1.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Cheshire is a large county, but coming from where we live in Wirral, I reach the M6 at J16 via the M53, A51 and A500. I would then go via your route 1.

I know Mal, but as I said the first third of the journey is going to be M6 down to where the Toll goes off . .. whichever route I choose.

As regards route 1, I assume you've experienced it towing - what's it like?

John

As regards route 1, I assume you've experienced it towing - what's it like?

John

I can't recall any problems, but thinking about it some more (it was a few years ago now) we did a slight variation to miss out Bath, from Warminster we went via Chippenham and Cirencester to join the M5 at J10a. This was because we broke the journey on a great CL at the top of Birdlip Hill (sadly no longer available).

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Okay personally I would use route 1 if towing, whilst route 3 is quicker solo I don't think it would make much difference towing, the only issue I have with using route 1 when solo is if you get stuck behind lorry / caravan! etc. it can sometime take a while to be able to overtake.

Route 2 can be a bit narrow in places the only narrow bit on route 1 will be around Bathampton

1/ Bath, Warminster, Shaftesbury, Blandford Forum and Wareham (249m, 4'52").

3/ Oxford, Winchester, New Forest and Poole (272m, 4'40").

Bailey Pageant Bretagne Series 6 - LR Discovery Td5 Auto

You don't say what day, or time of day, you will be travelling.

It'll be on a Sunday, hopefully leaving about 7. 30am.

John

Route 3 every time. Can be a bit slow through the New Forest but would still be my preferred route.

Volvo V70/Lunar Clubman 475/2 CKW

As a local its got to be #3, M40, A34, M3, M27

Thanks for all the advice . .. I think I'll try route 3 coming in through The New Forest . .. and If I don't like it I can always try heading over to the M5 for the return journey.

John

• Like 1

Having done these routes a number of times both towing and solo, I would also go for route 3.

Mind you M27 and A31 through the Forest were horrendous today

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

We came back from Swanage on Wednesday using the Dorchester, Yeovil, Taunton, M5 route. .

Chose this in preference to A31 M27 M3 M4 as

a: it looked shorter on the map although it isn't; (by 10 miles)

b: lots of hold ups showing on satnav on A31 and M27

We were able to travel at max permitted speed for practically the whole journey

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

• 1 month later...

Hi, OP here,

Well, in the end we went route 1 (Warminster and Saftesbury) on the jorney south, and route 3 (Ringwood, Oxford and M6 Toll) coming home.

Traffic around Bath was dreadful and the rest of the cross-country route to Swanage very slow entailing 7'15" drive-time.

Coming back took just 5'05" and was stress-free, and cost an extra £4. 80 toll fee (well worth it).

Thanks for all the advice,

John