Best Route Poole - South Wales

apologies if not in right section but don't know where best to place it

What would be the boreds opinion on the best route Poole -S Wales

(coming in on the late i. e. dark Cherbourg-Poole ferry with a 7. 25m caravan and not being an experienced towist)

Cross country ( as I would do in car) shortest but can be narrow/twisty

go west towards M5 then up to M4 ( route I've never been on but is second shortest and lots of Dual/motorway)

or East to Portsmouth A34-M4 ( route I know very well from pompy up )

There isn't a best route but rather a least worst one.

Possibilities

Pickup A31 north of poole then go via M27, M3, A34, M4. Long way round but easiest for towing and probably as quick as any.

Or A31, then A338 to Salisbury then A36, then A350 up to M4. Although country roads, relatively easy towing.

Or Most direct route route is straight up A350. Very twisty between Blandford & Shaftesbury. You can make steady progress.

I use route via Salisbury.

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Our son lives in Swansea and we in Bournemouth. We have tried every route possible, some towing, others solo. We have done weekends, weekdays, at different times of day and night, and find from here,-

A31,M27,(not Pompy)M3,A34,M4, the best. Looking at a map it would appear that we go in the opposite

direction to start with, but with a combination of dual carraigeways and motorways all the way we make good time. All the other routes are mainly A roads, complete with towns, villages, junctions,

roundabouts etc which drag your average speed down and slow the journey.

I would go A31, M27, M3, A34, M4 As said all dual carraigeways/motorways and ideal for a Newbie tower and at night .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I would go A31, M27, M3, A34, M4 As said all dual carraigeways/motorways and ideal for a Newbie tower and at night .

Dave

Plus there are plenty of service areas that you can take a break if you do this route.

Having a 7. 5 mitre caravan and at one living just south of Shaftsbury I would go fo the long way round

There isn't a best route but rather a least worst one.

Or A31, then A338 to Salisbury then A36, then A350 up to M4. Although country roads, relatively easy towing.

That's the way I go. Easy driving

Volvo XC60 Momentum Pro D4 pulling an Elddis Crusader Mistral

Thanks all that was my conclusion anyway, just checking I wasn't being dull, did the Blanford route last year with a trailer tent and found it really tiring

( I did realise that I go north to M3 @ southhampton not pompy just couldn't edit )