Sign in to follow this  
rambler2

Operation Stack

They lost their jobs because our government forced Eurotunnel to sell MY Ferry lines.

The company was bought on the cheap by DFDS who immediately announced redundancies and people are surprised that the workers are up in arms.

If I was one of them, I would certainly be on the picket line, a ruined holiday, does not compare to a ruined life consigned to a future on the dole.

No, the Harrietsham hair salon owner whose entire days bookings cancelled because they couldn't get to her would tend to agree with you. If her business goes under she'll be on the dole too. She is but one of many small business owners in Kent who's livelihoods are threatened by op stack. The workers dispute with the ferry company is not of her making, why should these French workers make her suffer?

• Like 1

They lost their jobs because our government forced Eurotunnel to sell MY Ferry lines.

The company was bought on the cheap by DFDS who immediately announced redundancies and people are surprised that the workers are up in arms.

If I was one of them, I would certainly be on the picket line, a ruined holiday, does not compare to a ruined life consigned to a future on the dole.

I am not amazed that the workers are up in arms, I sympathies for their plight. However there are ways to demonstrate without massively affecting hundreds of thousands of your fellow workers. There is also ways of controlling strike action to minimise such affects without impacting on their civil rights.

As I repeatedly said, my suggestion need not affect either the strikers or the migrants case.

It is my belief that how much this situation is controlled or governed is largely down to the French government. I believe that Kent administration and police are doing fantastic work and they must be as frustrated as the local people of Kent and Nord-Pas-de-Calais.

It seems that local administration in France have their hands tied.

Question I ask is do the French (government). Have the will, care and determination to get things sorted. I see no evidence.

I do understand that I am making comments on a very difficult political situation, I may well be wrong, but its as I see it.

I still think you are side stepping the question.

post-46773-0-80470800-1437833696_thumb.jpg

John

I would have been going to France last week, but because of the uncertainty of travel at the moment the trip was cancelled. Maybe we'll try again later in the year, but I certainly wouldn't go near Dover or Calais at present, and my sympathy goes to all of the innocent folks in those areas who have been adversely affected.

Gordon.

• Like 1

No, the Harrietsham hair salon owner whose entire days bookings cancelled because they couldn't get to her would tend to agree with you.

Had the current disruption not prevented my day trip, there is also a great restaurant in Calais that would have been a couple of hundred pounds better off by now, and several shops in the area have also not benefited from my money.

Skiman.

• Like 1

Finally got to the check in booth at 1523 eight hours to do the 110 miles from home, missed booked departure and have to wait a further three hours

Finally got to the check in booth at 1523 eight hours to do the 110 miles from home, missed booked departure and have to wait a further three hours

Does that allow you time to get to your final destination before nightfall, bearing in mind you may have to 'run the gauntlet' past the protesters in France?

You have my sympathy and I hope you can soon relax, but take it easy and please don't try to drive if you're over-tired.

Gordon.

No, the Harrietsham hair salon owner whose entire days bookings cancelled because they couldn't get to her would tend to agree with you. If her business goes under she'll be on the dole too. She is but one of many small business owners in Kent who's livelihoods are threatened by op stack. The workers dispute with the ferry company is not of her making, why should these French workers make her suffer?

Unfortunately we have to live in the real world, These French workers as you put it are not responsible for the lady in questions problems.

The British government has done nothing about the M20 problem which has been on-going for years. While the haulage companies and the general public are prepared to put up with it, nothing will get done and people living in the locality will continue to suffer.

Perhaps we need a revolution to get rid of few of these money grabbing useless MPs that do nothing for their constituencies.

Blaming what happens in another country does not absolve them from their responsibility.

Mod comment:

Expletives edited out

Unfortunately we have to live in the real world, These French workers as you put it are not responsible for the lady in questions problems.

The British government has done nothing about the M20 problem which has been on-going for years. While the haulage companies and the general public are prepared to put up with it, nothing will get done and people living in the locality will continue to suffer.

Perhaps we need a revolution to get rid of few of these money grabbing useless MPs that do nothing for their constituencies.

Blaming what happens in another country does not absolve them from their responsibility.

Mod comment:

Expletives edited out

The real world is what WE make it.

What evidence do you have to state that the British government has done nothing? You may be right but its a statement that deserves supporting. Just mayby the are hamstrung by other countries.

What would you have them do? You clearly disagree with my suggestions.

John

The real world is what WE make it.

What evidence do you have to state that the British government has done nothing? You may be right but its a statement that deserves supporting. Just mayby the are hamstrung by other countries.

What would you have them do? You clearly disagree with my suggestions.

John

When I say that the British government have done nothing, I am talking about the implementation of operation stack. This has been going on for years and the governments of the day have done nothing about making a permanent solution to a problem that is not going to go away. The present government can do nothing apart from applying pressure on the French authorities, who may well just ignore them, after all The French government has no great love of things British, apart perhaps for our money.

We would resent foreigners poking their noses into our internal affairs, so why do you expect them to bow to our protestations.

When I say that the British government have done nothing, I am talking about the implementation of operation stack. This has been going on for years and the governments of the day have done nothing about making a permanent solution to a problem that is not going to go away. The present government can do nothing apart from applying pressure on the French authorities, who may well just ignore them, after all The French government has no great love of things British, apart perhaps for our money.

We would resent foreigners poking their noses into our internal affairs, so why do you expect them to bow to our protestations.

Because we're all members of the EU, and I'm sure there must be some regulation that says "NOBODY (except the French) has the right to interrupt the free passage of individuals and goods between EU members" :)

I would have thought the respective Governments could have "arranged" for Eurotunnel to win their case for keeping both a tunnel and ferries, despite P&O protests.

Edited by philspot
  • Like 1

As I said in #21, after op stack is lifted the problem goes on the government back burner. In previous periods of op stack the cause has tended to be adverse weather affecting ferries or power supply problems in the tunnel, with the occasional strike being the third reason. These lead to relatively short periods of implementation which have only affected local people for a short time, so the cost of building lorry parks has seemed an unnecessary expense. This time round it's strikers affecting ferries and blocking the road to the tunnel as well as migrants breaching security. It's no longer a rare occurrence and therefore I think the government has had to sit up and take notice of the financial implications to the county and country. Maybe our suffering will result in a long term solution this time round.

• Like 1

Because we're all members of the EU, and I'm sure there must be some regulation that says "NOBODY (except the French) has the right to interrupt the free passage of individuals and goods between EU members" :)

I would have thought the respective Governments could have "arranged" for Eurotunnel to win their case for keeping both a tunnel and ferries, despite P&O protests.

There are regulations about everything in the EU, unfortunately we are the only ones that take any notice of them.

As I said in #21, after op stack is lifted the problem goes on the government back burner. In previous periods of op stack the cause has tended to be adverse weather affecting ferries or power supply problems in the tunnel, with the occasional strike being the third reason. These lead to relatively short periods of implementation which have only affected local people for a short time, so the cost of building lorry parks has seemed an unnecessary expense. This time round it's strikers affecting ferries and blocking the road to the tunnel as well as migrants breaching security. It's no longer a rare occurrence and therefore I think the government has had to sit up and take notice of the financial implications to the county and country. Maybe our suffering will result in a long term solution this time round.

Don't hold your breath.

Edited by Steve W77
  • Like 1

As Phil says, in the past the stack has been short term and for unavoidable reasons.

Any lorry park might give some relief to locals but it is NOT a solution.

Political pressure is the way forward, thats not the same as saying we expect the French to 'bow to our protestations', but the application of political negociations. Something which I hope our government has been doing though I am not in a position to make a comment on how well that have, or have not been doing it to date. Politically they can't say the French are not playing ball but it is noticeable that Eurotunnel are beginning to get outspoken. Also the lack of real action speaks volumes.

Perhaps the OP can ask his MP just what is being done.

I certainly feel for those trying to get their once a year holiday and having their lives disrupted by a comparatively small number of strikers and migrants and a French government who are content to allow it.

Selfishly I am glad we have got our return journey in this year, it was uneventful but only by shear luck. We have already decided to give it a miss next year.

John

Edited by JCloughie
  • Like 1

Is it only the M20 thats affected?

Is the M2 / A2 clear or is that route solid with cars avoiding the M20?

When I travelled it on Thursday afternoon it was stop/start at the bottom end of the M2. I can only imagine it's got worse since then but probably not as congested as the A20 between Maidstone and Ashford/ Sellindge.

When I travelled it on Thursday afternoon it was stop/start at the bottom end of the M2. I can only imagine it's got worse since then but probably not as congested as the A20 between Maidstone and Ashford/ Sellindge.

Took a drive down there today as I travel on the 3rd. M2 was extremely busy so I decided to cut off at Faversham junction. I am now of two minds to chance it on the third or book Blackhorse. I hate to be stressed at the start of my holiday. Going by the A20 route doubles my travelling time (satnav assuming it is clear). Passed the entrance to Eurotunnel and there was a large queue waiting to entered the booths. Never seen that before. .... It looked like the trucks were starting to move but there was still hundreds parked up.

I would have been going to France last week, but because of the uncertainty of travel at the moment the trip was cancelled. Maybe we'll try again later in the year, but I certainly wouldn't go near Dover or Calais at present, and my sympathy goes to all of the innocent folks in those areas who have been adversely affected.

Had the current disruption not prevented my day trip, there is also a great restaurant in Calais that would have been a couple of hundred pounds better off by now, and several shops in the area have also not benefited from my money.

Selfishly I am glad we have got our return journey in this year, it was uneventful but only by shear luck. We have already decided to give it a miss next year.

Sounds like it is already affecting the French economy as well as that of the UK, so whether there is a valid grievance or not, when innocent individuals are affected then enough is enough.

Skiman

Within the last 24hrs we see the disgusting treatment meted out to Scottish lorry drivers in France.

If it's not immigrants attacking them then it's the striking ferrymen making life pure misery.

On top of all this, the French farmers are forcing open fridge lorries and emptying fish all over the road. (some of these fish were landed by a French trawler in Scotland for despatch to France).

Most of these lorry drivers and lorry owners are just ordinary guys trying to make a living, and are by no means wealthy, so this carry on could cripple them. Remember, if a lorry aint moving, it aint earning, but the standing charges carry on.

Not to worry, where is our globe trotting first minister?????

Not where she should be----in France, giving the French authorities a real hard time over these poor lorry drivers.

There again, why bother? non of them are Weegies!!!!!!

• Like 1

Just to give everyone a 'true picture' of what's going on: We set off from home in Yorkshire at 6. 00 am this morning, and got to the P and O check-in at Dover at 10. 31! We're not towing as we pick up our caravan in France tomorrow, but that timing is absolutely no different to our normal journey!! We used the A2/M2, as recommended, and there was little traffic, no queue at all down into the port, and at the roundabout at the entrance to the port we were waved through ahead of all the queueing traffic coming from the M20. P and O were running extra crossings, but we wanted to wait for our booked crossing as we hoped to meet up with friends.

There were no 'marauding strikers' or pickets at the port of Calais, and nothing going on that I could see. There was no 'migrant activity' visible either, in or around Calais or near the Eurotunnel terminal, and we had a smooth journey to our hotel, with only one glimpse of a dismantled farmers blockade, with a pile of tyres on a roundabout at the entry to the autoroute near Abbeville. We're now at our overnight hotel in Rouen, and have been here about an hour and a half.

I said on this forum yesterday that we weren't worried, and would just take it as it comes, and fortunately we had absolutely no need to worry.

I hope this puts everyone's mind at rest.

Edited by ValA

I have had this come through to me Via FB.

Quote.

‪#‎OpStack‬ has been stood down as of 3pm. The ‪#‎M20‬ motorway through‪#‎Kent‬ is now fully open.

Chief Inspector Chambers (Silver Commander) said: 'Operation Stack is all about safety. I would like to thank everyone for their cooperation and for driving safely while it has been implemented.”

Lets see how long this last for this time.

Doosan

Lets see how long this last for this time.

Doosan

Hopefully until after Tuesday. ........

• Like 1

Just to give everyone a 'true picture' of what's going on: We set off from home in Yorkshire at 6. 00 am this morning, and got to the P and O check-in at Dover at 10. 31! We're not towing as we pick up our caravan in France tomorrow, but that timing is absolutely no different to our normal journey!! We used the A2/M2, as recommended, and there was little traffic, no queue at all down into the port, and at the roundabout at the entrance to the port we were waved through ahead of all the queueing traffic coming from the M20. P and O were running extra crossings, but we wanted to wait for our booked crossing as we hoped to meet up with friends.

There were no 'marauding strikers' or pickets at the port of Calais, and nothing going on that I could see. There was no 'migrant activity' visible either, in or around Calais or near the Eurotunnel terminal, and we had a smooth journey to our hotel, with only one glimpse of a dismantled farmers blockade, with a pile of tyres on a roundabout at the entry to the autoroute near Abbeville. We're now at our overnight hotel in Rouen, and have been here about an hour and a half.

I said on this forum yesterday that we weren't worried, and would just take it as it comes, and fortunately we had absolutely no need to worry.

That's fantastic. I also had similar experiences a few weeks ago. But I consider we were just lucky, just 1 1/2 hours to get through the Roundhills Tunnels . I have repeatedly said that I think the Kent authorities have done wonderful work in sometimes dire circumstances. Nevertheless the local Kent people have suffered in their ability to get around their own area.

If we believe the news reports this is not the case in France.

Nevertheless there have been many problems which appear to be mostly suffered by the freight services who will have to pass the extra expense onto us. It appears to me that holiday makers get preferential treatment.

I often wonder how much the news reports hype up the situations but I think the reverse is true of government departments who play down situations and provide scant info to travellers.

Still, it would be so nice for people to travel without having to be apprehensive. Like you, if I had a booking and plans I would take precautions and go, I don't like to be defeated.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Good to hear. We dont go for a few weeks yet but I was a bit concerned.

We too are travelling from Yorkshire so the Four and Half hour journey is what I had estimated

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to report

Im often a bit cynical towards newspaper reports and the 24/7 news we get these days often exaggerate or over elaborate small incidents as they have to report something.

Thanks again

Our journey is Sunday morning these days, the best day for travelling we find. Any other day it CAN take up to seven hours to get to the port, so if you're travelling on a working day leave longer, and if you're towing, longer still.

French news is reporting the farmers taking action in the Strasbourg, Alsace area this morning, with blockades of hay bales and tractors.

My local roads are back to normal this morning and as the schools broke up on Friday it's especially quiet at the moment. However, it doesn't take too much disruption for op stack to be put in place so anyone travelling to the channel ports or tunnel needs to keep an eye on the news for a couple of days before they go. According to one of the local MPs it seems they've agreed to trial the contraflow on the London bound side next time op stack is implemented. I'll be interested to see how successful that is. ;)