Sign in to follow this  
rambler2

Operation Stack

We are travelling to France in a few weeks time Calais to Dunquerque.

Have read about operation stack on the M20 just wondered how it works is the motorway completly closed or can you get through to access the Dover port. Would it be best to find an alternative route such as A2 and M2 to Dover?We would like to still use M20 as we use a camp site just off this road. however if there are long delays can find another site Thanks

When Opp Stack is on you have to use the A20 coming off the M20 at J8.

This road is a lot slower so you have to allow for more time.

If stack is on and it's due to strikes at Calais dock then there is a good chance that you wont get on your ferry

so you will need to phone you ferry for updates.

These strikes could happen at any time, so you need to keep an eye on things nearer your sailing date.

Hope this helps.

Doosan

Don't take too much notice of the Wikipedia definition of the phases of Op Stack. They are not applied in numerical order. Usually, the first phase is junc 11 - 12 usually followed by junc 8 -9 if needed. However, sometimes it's only 8 - 9 which in theory is phase 2. The official diversion for tourist traffic is via the A249 at junction 7 onto the M2 as shown on the matrix signs. Lot's use the A20 from junc 8 to junc 9 then back onto the motorway but that gets gridlocked most times stack is on. If op stack is on when you travel you'd be better off joining the A2/M2 straight from the M25 if coming over the Dartford crossing.

Edited by chrisbee

Out of idle curiosity, what the route to the tunnel during operation stack? Specifically if you go the M2 route.

If you go M2 onto the A2 past Canterbury, continue until the A260 junction take this exit for Folkestone until you come to the M20 J12, join the M20 west until you reach J11 come off

here go all the way round and rejoin the M20 East and join the M20 forward to J11a channel tunnel.

I went past the channel tunnel entrance on the A20 (not the M20) yesterday and it was closed with diversions.

Hope you can understand this.

Doosan

Calais to Dunkerque should be easy enough. No crossing involved, about 30 miles along the French coast. :blink:

• Like 1

If you go M2 onto the A2 past Canterbury, continue until the A260 junction take this exit for Folkestone until you come to the M20 J12, join the M20 west until you reach J11 come off

here go all the way round and rejoin the M20 East and join the M20 forward to J11a channel tunnel.

I went past the channel tunnel entrance on the A20 (not the M20) yesterday and it was closed with diversions.

Hope you can understand this.

Doosan

This year for the first time we are using the Tunnel in two weeks time and had been wondering about the best route in the event of Stack.

Over the years, we have done all the various bits of road above except the A260. I assume it is a reasonable A road?

Last year we got caught out by an M20 accident closure and found ourselves going against the traffic leaving the M20 and trying to get up from J11 up Stone Road. That road is not lorry friendly. ...

Last time we were affected by Stack, everyone including HGV's etc were directed off the motorway at an interchange, only selected vehicles, HGV's etc were allowed back on to join the end of the controlled section.

Not sure if that's the way it always operates.

Thanks.

Hopefully we won't need it but best to be prepared!

These Calais problems do seem to blow up very quickly just when you think you are OK.

Thanks for the replies I now know hoiw it works and how to get around it if necessary.

Traffic chaos around Maidstone AGAIN as op stack has been put on from Junc 8 - 9. It seems it's now put on at the drop of a hat. Hopefully they freight backlog will be sorted overnight so us locals can go about our lawful business tomorrow morning.

Traffic chaos around Maidstone AGAIN as op stack has been put on from Junc 8 - 9. It seems it's now put on at the drop of a hat. Hopefully they freight backlog will be sorted overnight so us locals can go about our lawful business tomorrow morning.

At 17. 00 this evening out town of Ashford was grid locked yet again and we are just about getting fed up with,

It's getting beyond a joke now.

Here is a link to a petition to sign about trying to do something about it fingers crossed.

https://www. change. org/p/david-cameron-mp-stop-operation-stack?recruiter=342715171&utm_campaign=signature_receipt_fb_dialog&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&fb_ref=Default

Us people living in Kent would be much obliged, so Please, please sign this.

Doosan

At 17. 00 this evening out town of Ashford was grid locked yet again and we are just about getting fed up with,

It's getting beyond a joke now.

Here is a link to a petition to sign about trying to do something about it fingers crossed.

https://www. change. org/p/david-cameron-mp-stop-operation-stack?recruiter=342715171&utm_campaign=signature_receipt_fb_dialog&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&fb_ref=Default

Us people living in Kent would be much obliged, so Please, please sign this.

Doosan

Done

• Like 1

Done

+1

• Like 1

Erm, can someone elaborate? I do of course sympathise with the people of Kent (after all, you don't live up north :-) ), but beyond "stop operation stack" what do the signatories want done? Roadblocks to stop lorries before they cross at Dartford? Invade France to stop the ferrymen striking? Send in the Navy to land lorries onto Normandy beaches? For me a petition should be putting forward a practical proposition rather than being a plea for help.

• Like 2

Erm, can someone elaborate? I do of course sympathise with the people of Kent (after all, you don't live up north :-) ), but beyond "stop operation stack" what do the signatories want done? Roadblocks to stop lorries before they cross at Dartford? Invade France to stop the ferrymen striking? Send in the Navy to land lorries onto Normandy beaches? For me a petition should be putting forward a practical proposition rather than being a plea for help.

What the petition will try to do (we hope) is to wake the government up and speed up a different place to park the trucks other than on a main arterial road connecting us to mainland Europe.

For years now all they have done is talk about it. There is loads of land around that would accommodate this. Even Manston Airport has been spoken about and that is all they do, is talk about it.

Ideally the French government needs to get its act together and get on top of these strikes and police this situation a lot more.

My way of thinking is to keep on to the government so that something is done, must be better than doing nothing, IMHO.

Doosan

• Like 2

As Doosan says, it's about getting the government to pull it's finger out and sort the problem once and for all. All they do is wring their hands and talk about the cost of a big enough truck park. They seem to forget the cost of policing op stack and the loss to the UK economy of thousands of people being late for work, visitors cancelling day trips to the Kent coast etc. etc. Indeed, yesterday Mrs chrisbee and myself were due to have a meal out with the BIL and family but as he lives in Ashford we cancelled. Okay, the pub only lost £100. 00 or so but it's these losses that add up.

They seem to forget the cost of policing op stack and the loss to the UK economy of thousands of people being late for work, visitors cancelling day trips to the Kent coast etc. etc.

Do you really believe that the government is unaware of the costs?

Do you really believe that the government is unaware of the costs?

Oh they're aware alright, they just choose to ignore it. The thing is most extra costs caused by stack come out of existing budgets. Kent police, KCC and transport company's overheads to name just a few. The government would have to dip their hand in their pocket to build a truck park. Generally, as soon as stack is lifted it all goes on the back burner again. We're now on something like 15 days of op stack in the last 4 weeks. The DFDS strike and illegals trying to enter the tunnel are blamed this time. I don't foresee either issue being resolved quickly. Meanwhile, Kent grinds to a halt again.

Op - Stack is back on again this morning. M20 junction 8 to 9 is closed yet again.

http://www. bbc. co. uk/travel/kent/incidents/road

I'm going to get off sharpish then, don't fancy being on the top. ;)

Can't help but think that wherever they decide to build anything how many folk that live local to it will object, complain, start a petition.

I'm hoping to get a mid-morning Eurotunnel train on Monday, joining the M20 at junction 11. If Operation Stack is running, how do I leave the M20? Use the hard shoulder and hope no-one's broken down? Local knowledge anyone ?