Sign in to follow this  
BillySmart

New Landrover Discovery Sport - Any Reviews As Towcar

My gracefully ageing Freelander is still gamely tugging my twin axle van but my other half is coming up to her annual good mood. Wondering if it's time to mention the new Disco Sport. Any information or reviews appreciated so I'm forewarned.

• Like 1

Cheaper to buy her some new shoes!

It's a Land Rover, so it will be great, I'm still using the Discovery 1, and it's still great.

I think if you change great to unreliable in Marks post you may be closer to the mark lol:-)

The FL2 forum has many comments on the DS, it's advantages and shortcomings, perhaps wait until there are more options offered with the new frugal engine with similar power outputs to the present Freely engines. The 5 seat will be from about September which may have a full size spare option along with towing upgrades not available on the 7 seat option, or wasn't. The DS is probably the most vague launch ever in regard to options.

Edited by Dartman 1

I think if you change great to unreliable in Marks post you may be closer to the mark lol:-)

And your tug is??????

One thing is certain, you wouldn't be tugging that van with an auto Xtrail.

Not another Green Oval knocking/supporting post PLEASE!!!

As asked, if you've got any reviews or information, please pass them on to Samtheman.

Mike.

This months PC magazine has landed this morning and has a review of it but not got round to reading it yet.

Aiming to buy a Discovery sport towards the end of the year when the new engine is available!

Think I might wait for the new Jag Fpace. Saw a Discovery Sport in Spain early May on Dutch plates, it was towing a large new Hymer & really looked the business, I think that it is a bit overpriced compared to the previous model though.

Think I might wait for the new Jag Fpace. Saw a Discovery Sport in Spain early May on Dutch plates, it was towing a large new Hymer & really looked the business, I think that it is a bit overpriced compared to the previous model though.

LRs are being positioned as premium models - don't expect the F-Pace to be cheap.

Gets a favourable report in the new edition of Practical Caravan, though obviously it was the soon to be replaced SD4.

When I checked out he LR configurator for the DS some towbar options were not available with a spare wheel as well.

I've ordered a MY16 DS with the new engine and expecting delivery 1/9.

I've joined a forum and mixed reviews from current owners but as I will be one of the first with new engine I'm going in blind.

Some people towing with the current 2. 2 and seem happy.

Some complaints about towbar system being complicated depending on spare wheel or not, 5 or 7 seats etc.

Detachable tow bars factory fit have come with bumpers cut with jigsaw and look terrible.

Fixed appear to project long way out and are shin magnets.

Electric deployable are almost a grand but look neat.

The range rover sport/discovery system with built in receiver has gone and cumbersome brackets and bars are back which require removal of bumper to fit. This is a backward step to me but may be related to current recall of detachable towbars on discovery and rrsport.

The whole thing appears to be a shambles at moment with different exhausts needed for spare and towbar etc.

I've decided not to get a towbar yet and see if a better aftermarket is available later but I don't have a caravan now.

This is best site at moment for info http://www. discosportforums. co. uk/index. php

53 mpg, £140 pa Road tax and £499 for 5

years servicing tempted me to change :)

The 5 seat will only be 150bhp the 7 seat is 190bhp

Edited by Muddywheels

My gracefully ageing Freelander is still gamely tugging my twin axle van but my other half is coming up to her annual good mood. Wondering if it's time to mention the new Disco Sport. Any information or reviews appreciated so I'm forewarned.

Its in the august edition of practical caravan out now and they prefer it over many other vehicles of its class. I would take an image of the report and post it but I would be infringing copyrights

Edited by Silverback

I have had one since April done about 600 miles towing feels same as my Freelander did

More space and seat options

Feels more like driving car than my Freelander did

cannot have a spare wheel with my towbar option for the factory fitted removal towbar

think that will change in the future

But my thought is I have not had a puncture for 20 years I paid £200 for a spare wheel on my freelander that I never used so if I do use the tyre repair kit it would not cost that much for a tyre also with breakdown cover I would not even bother changing the wheel I would get the mechanic out especially on the motorway I will bewrapped up under a brolly in a safe place

I love driving my DS

Edited by Ashey
  • Like 1

my other half is coming up to her annual good mood.

:D Lucky you! wish mine had one of those! :P

Its in the august edition of practical caravan out now and they prefer it over many other vehicles of its class. I would take an image of the report and post it but I would be infringing copyrights

Insignia Country thing would be my preference that was reviewed (twice sort of) in the same mag

. .......my other half is coming up to her annual good mood. .......

Priceless. :) :)

Insignia Country thing would be my preference that was reviewed (twice sort of) in the same mag

I'm still anchoring on the xtrail but with four wheel drive, with all the doubting its still came back with 4 stars in all the catorgories. Not to sure if the extra weight of the 4x4 will have to much affect on its performance but if it tows steady and pulls, I will happily take its economy and overall low running costs solo.

What was surprising was the new Honda CRV twin turbo and the poor review it got for stability. For its extra bhp and bi turbo it was just one second faster than the xtrail in the 30-60 pulling acceleration test and a point down from the xtrail in its hill start score. :(

Edited by Silverback

However neither is a DS, and the DS is what the OP wants, he has a Freelander and really he is only interested in whether or not the DS is a viable replacement. LR themselves state the DS is not a replacement for the FL2 it is another concept, the FL2 has not been replaced, but it had many attributes the DS does not have. Though the DS is a very competent car and has a larger load space it does not have a tailgate entrance that is as useful as the FL2 and neither is its towing capacity as great in regards to nose weight thus carrying cycles and a 100Kg van nose weight on the tow bar is no longer an option.

When you have an FL2, neither the XTrail or the Insignia Countryman is even considered unless you have a specific reason to downgrade especially if you want an auto, the DS is not a downgrade but does have some concerns if you wish to use it as a tow car the way you towed with an FL2

Edited by Dartman 1

*The nose weight can be increased to a maximum of 175 kg for vehicles with 5 seats and to a maximum of 125 kg for vehicles with 7 seats. Make sure that the maximum rear axle, the GVW and the GTW weights are not exceeded. Europe only When towing, the maximum permissible GVW can be increased by a maximum of 100 kg, provided that the road speed is limited to 97 km/h (60 mph) or less.

Edited by Muddywheels

Didn't see that in the original specs Muddy, though it is somewhat similar to the FL2 regarding GVM and 90kph/60mph, always nice you can tow heavier in the UK than the continent. :D

This is from MY16 handbook not sure on MY15

I've ordered a MY16 DS with the new engine and expecting delivery 1/9.

I've joined a forum and mixed reviews from current owners but as I will be one of the first with new engine I'm going in blind.

Some people towing with the current 2. 2 and seem happy.

Some complaints about towbar system being complicated depending on spare wheel or not, 5 or 7 seats etc.

Detachable tow bars factory fit have come with bumpers cut with jigsaw and look terrible.

Fixed appear to project long way out and are shin magnets.

Electric deployable are almost a grand but look neat.

The range rover sport/discovery system with built in receiver has gone and cumbersome brackets and bars are back which require removal of bumper to fit. This is a backward step to me but may be related to current recall of detachable towbars on discovery and rrsport.

The whole thing appears to be a shambles at moment with different exhausts needed for spare and towbar etc.

I've decided not to get a towbar yet and see if a better aftermarket is available later but I don't have a caravan now.

This is best site at moment for info http://www. discosportforums. co. uk/index. php

53 mpg, £140 pa Road tax and £499 for 5

years servicing tempted me to change :)

The 5 seat will only be 150bhp the 7 seat is 190bhp

Been reading some of those forum posts.

Surprised to read of owners getting shut after only a short ownership.

Personally I think you should avoid buying a new model until most of the gremlins are sorted, I certainly think I bought too early, the 2015 CX-5 is much improved from the original 2012 car.

Even a run out model can often be the most sensible buy, proven and cheap.