Sign in to follow this  
love my van

Swindon Caravans

Hi

We are thinking of buying a caravan from Swindon Caravan Group (Reading) just wondering has anyone had any dealings with them? and have they got good after sales service?

TIA

Edited by love my van

We picked up a Lunar Quasar 525 from them 2 weeks ago from Swindon. We got a good deal and they threw a lot of accessories in with it. They were more helpful than the other three caravan dealers we'd been to in South Wales. It was well worth travelling the distance.

• Like 1

we have bought 3 caravans from them and found them very good and helpful. We had some problems with the current two vans we had and their after sales support was excellent.

• Like 1

We nearly used them but decided not to as they total cost to change was nearly 4k more than Lady Bailey Caravans in Dorset.

You pays yer money and takes yer chances though.

We nearly used them but decided not to as they total cost to change was nearly 4k more than Lady Bailey Caravans in Dorset.

You pays yer money and takes yer chances though.

We also nearly used them due to their low prices, but the trade in value they offered us for our caravan was ridiculous. Overall it was cheaper to go locally.

In addition, we had phoned and asked about a caravan which they said they had in stock and was an ex-demonstrator. We travelled all the way down to them and went straight in to look at the caravan on the forecourt. It had rained earlier and the caravan was soaked inside by the doorway. In addition, part of the Omnivent had been removed and it was left hanging. the caravan looked quite shoddy.

Went into the office anyway and told them about the wet caravan etc and they weren't bothered however what really put us off was they then offered us £1000 less on our caravan than what they had quoted over the phone. We left although we had travelled quite a way to view the caravan.

Yes, To clarify the 'new' price of the van we looked at was not too bad - around 500ukp more than our other quote. Problem we had was we where offered a lot less for our van, in fact we where offered so much less that we didn't even consider it.

They told me that 6birth vans where not very sought after. ..

We bought our current van from them, and got a good deal, have had it serviced there every year. But earlier this year we looked at changing and sorry to say but we have had a similar experience to others, and were offered significantly less for our current van vs other dealers not that far away down the M4.

In fact the salesman asked if we got our current van from them, and went away to look something up, I am sure he checked what we paid last time and based his part ex value on that figure vs the retail value. I understand that they need to make a profit, but there was over £1500 difference. I am sure our old van would have sold easily as there are not that many for sale. But clearly not struggling to sell what new vans they can get their hands on, so no incentive to give a good deal.

But on a positive note the the aftersales/service have been very good, workshop and shop staff very helpful.

Sales are nice enough, but the aftersales (certainly at the Swindon branch) have been pretty useless, missed damp, missed the wheel arch liner, no pdi/inspection when buying used, failed attemp to rectify damp problems, ( van was sold damp too).

Poor communication ( failed to return calls etc)... Need i go on.

They have acknowledged there short comings, and have tried to make ammends by giving me a free service next year, however, the only reason my van is (hopefully) sorted is because bailey sent a team to swindon to fix a whole host of problem baileys, nothing to do with swindon caravans.

Bought 2 of our 3 vans through them. Not had an issue as long as you get the right person.

After sales, never had an issue. Van going in for its first service on Saturday, will advise on outcomes a weeks later. ...

Correction: just noticed it's the reading branch and not swindon. Reading I've never liked the place, and sales px was 3k less than their own sister branch at swindon. Even though reading is closer to me (15miles) I always go to swindon (35miles)

Edited by milkymarsh

Many thanks for all the comments regarding the Swindon Caravans Group and we'll try and use this to improve our communication and customer experience. Let me try to address what a few people have raised regarding our prices.

It is true that our part exchange valuations might be slightly lower than some of our competitors but that is because our retail prices are a lot lower. When we discuss price, we focus primarily on the cost to change because that is the most important figure to any prospective customer. We can not always be the cheapest, but we are confident that we will always be competitive and try to offer a high level of customer service

• Like 3

Many thanks for all the comments regarding the Swindon Caravans Group and we'll try and use this to improve our communication and customer experience. Let me try to address what a few people have raised regarding our prices.

It is true that our part exchange valuations might be slightly lower than some of our competitors but that is because our retail prices are a lot lower. When we discuss price, we focus primarily on the cost to change because that is the most important figure to any prospective customer. We can not always be the cheapest, but we are confident that we will always be competitive and try to offer a high level of customer service

It good to have members of the trade contributing to the discussion on this forum. Thanks.

• Like 1

If dealing with anyone at swindon (for after sales) i recommend speaking to Colin, hes the workshop manager and actually speaks some some sence.

• Like 2

Glad you appreciate the feedback, but quite annoying been given a price over the phone which made it interesting enough to do a round trip of nearly 200 miles to be given an even lower price for a trade in by a different sales person. In this case it was a £1000 lower than quoted to us in the first place.

Why do you allow your workshop to strip demonstrator caravans for spares or allow caravans to get full of water because no one has closed the doors on a raint day? This does not inspire any confidence in a customer looking to buy. The other reason we chose your premises was because it seemed that your after sales was efficient.

Given all the above you probably now realise who we are and know our names as we complained about all the above to the other sales person last year in about Sept.

Edited by DeltaTIowner

The radio advert says excellent part exchange rates. .. False advertising?

Hi Again

Just wanted to say that we are now the proud owners of a Clubman SE from Swindon caravans Reading, we were happy with the part exchange offered it was comparable with other dealers. Thank you Swindon

• Like 1