Sign in to follow this  
The 2 Tops

Brittany Ferries Overcrowding On The Vehicle Decks

Twitter is phenomenal at getting the proper attention that you should have got in the first place. O2 CS tried flipping me off over a repair. Tweeted their web team and the CEO and got a massive apology, an iPhone as a loan phone, and unexpectedly, nothing to pay on my line rental for a few months, all because CS couldn't get the left hand to talk to the right.

• Like 1

I think that in a lot of instances, with departments such as Customer Services, it can depend on how well trained the person is who you are dealing with. Where one agent might take the time to check through a complaint and even get advice from a higher level, I have no doubt that some will simply try to close the matter quickly and apply their own decision, even though this may not be compliant with their Company's policy.

Involving an outside source, such as Twitter, puts the complaint in the public domain and creates the need for the awareness of caution before responding. This usually results in the level of service that should have happened in the first place.

I think that in a lot of instances, with departments such as Customer Services, it can depend on how well trained the person is who you are dealing with. Where one agent might take the time to check through a complaint and even get advice from a higher level, I have no doubt that some will simply try to close the matter quickly and apply their own decision, even though this may not be compliant with their Company's policy.

Involving an outside source, such as Twitter, puts the complaint in the public domain and creates the need for the awareness of caution before responding. This usually results in the level of service that should have happened in the first place.

Can you give me the exact details of your crossing, time, route and ship and I will put it on Twitter for you.

• Like 1

There is always the theory that the closer together, the less momentum to cause damage, similar to the theory that if you tailgate at 1" from a rear bumper, then when the preceding car brakes you just lean on it and little or no damage :D:ph34r:

There is always the theory that the closer together, the less momentum to cause damage, similar to the theory that if you tailgate at 1" from a rear bumper, then when the preceding car brakes you just lean on it and little or no damage :D:ph34r:

That could never be further from the truth. Once the car in front has braked there is a lot of kinetic energy in the second vehicle, and which has to be absorbed. A lot will depend on the braking power applied to the front car and the speed of the second car at the time of collision, but damage would occur as the bodywork of both vehicles crumpled to absorb that energy.

What I am talking about is fragility of how caravans are built, and it has nothing to do with tailgating.

If the sea swell had been enough for the caravans to independently rock on their suspensions, then not only would there have been the chances of them bumping together, but also a rubbing motion at the same time; the acrylic windows being the most susceptible to damage, and awning rails the most likely to caused damage to an adjacent caravan's more fragile parts, in addition to the rail itself being damaged.

I think you are getting too far removed from the subject of tightly packed vehicles on the decks of RORO ferries.

I think Dartman was being ironic.

• Like 1

Can you give me the exact details of your crossing, time, route and ship and I will put it on Twitter for you.

Wouldn't that be sticking your neck out unnecessarily on my behalf, purplemadboy? But I will give you the details anyhow.

Crossing: St Malo to Portsmouth

Ship: Bretagne

Departure date and time: 2 July 2015 at 10:30 hours

Arrival date and time: 2 July 2015 at 18:20 hours. (actually late - 18:45 hours)

Wouldn't that be sticking your neck out unnecessarily on my behalf, purplemadboy? But I will give you the details anyhow.

Crossing: St Malo to Portsmouth

Ship: Bretagne

Departure date and time: 2 July 2015 at 10:30 hours

Arrival date and time: 2 July 2015 at 18:20 hours. (actually late - 18:45 hours)

It's no skin off my nose, it's only Twitter .

purplemadboy, I am waiting delivery of a new set of inks for my printer, then I intend to send a reply to B. F. customer services, with a photo of why I cannot agree with their comments. I further copy to their CEO might be a good idea. I know I am battling against the 'big boys', but I cannot accept that fare-paying passengers should be treated to less than a proper service, and certainly not less than B. F. would have us believe by the blurb in their own brochures. And that includes the parking of our vehicles and safety in leaving from/returning to our vehicles.

Good morning 2 Tops. You have given us 32 posts on this subject in this thread up to now. You were not happy - we get it. We got it long ago in fact.

It was a very full ferry. But no damage was caused to your caravan and no great harm was done. I hope your next ferry crossing goes more smoothly.

• Like 1

purplemadboy, I am waiting delivery of a new set of inks for my printer, then I intend to send a reply to B. F. customer services, with a photo of why I cannot agree with their comments. I further copy to their CEO might be a good idea. I know I am battling against the 'big boys', but I cannot accept that fare-paying passengers should be treated to less than a proper service, and certainly not less than B. F. would have us believe by the blurb in their own brochures. And that includes the parking of our vehicles and safety in leaving from/returning to our vehicles.

Maybe send the image as an attachment, assuming it is digital? That way they get the high resolution version.

I wouldn't worry about purplemadboy putting stuff on twitter. people put all kinds of stuff on there (often incorrect or abusive) and seem to get away with it. Being factual, your concerns should be OK.

2 tops this is the latest reply from BF via Twitter https://twitter. com/BrittanyFerries/status/623551968162783232, you can send them an email via link on earlier post or join Twitter and contact BF via Twitter yourself .

Thanks for that, purplemadboy - will do.

Moorgate, keep counting if that's what makes you happy - I'll decide when I finish posting, not you!

• Like 3

A copy in on an e-mail is information or awareness, if you want the CEO to take responsibility or action then address it to him as well.

Good morning 2 Tops. You have given us 32 posts on this subject in this thread up to now. You were not happy - we get it. We got it long ago in fact.

It was a very full ferry. But no damage was caused to your caravan and no great harm was done. I hope your next ferry crossing goes more smoothly.

Point well made Moorgate - my worry is that repetitive posts of this unfortunate incident might put off other newbies to BF and lose out on having a wonderful adventure to France.

To all of those who may be worried, this was a rare situation, most travellers on BF have no issues and a great time on the Ferry - good food & good entertainment.

Edited by springtime

This has to be the most boring subject ever 2 tops. For christ sake put it to bed.

I don,t know what you would do if ever you had a real problem,We have used BF & P&O for well over 20 yrs

& never had a problem. So you were a bit close to someone else "big deal"

If we can,t get through we simply walk a bit further until we can get through. Whats the problem?.

• Like 1

Well said old nick most sensible post on this subject I totally agree having been a user of various ferry companies for 25 years including Brittany in May and June this year.

• Like 1

If you don't like the thread don't read it and don't have a go at the OP . He has a legit grievance as BF on Twitter said it was wrong, other forums have posted similar complaints re over "crowding"

• Like 1

If you don't like the thread don't read it and don't have a go at the OP . He has a legit grievance as BF on Twitter said it was wrong, other forums have posted similar complaints re over "crowding"

I am sorry that some posters have found this topic boring. I started the thread, and have written 32 (err, now 33) posts out of 119 or so, so others must have a different view. I have used B. F. over many years and never before had an issue. Now I have, and so have others. Point is, if this continues as common practice, someone is going to find their leisure vehicle very seriously damaged to the degree that their holiday is absolutely ruined. And, to my critics, all I can say is that you could be that victim.

For myself, at this stage, I will only be answering another post if there is a valid point for so doing. And, if there is any outcome where information is beneficial to the readers, I will post that too.

• Like 3

Those of you that find it boring . ...don't read it. .. simples! :)

• Like 1

The ferry is designed for a certain amount of cars, if the ferry company ignor that and try and squeeze more cars on than what it was designed for that's not my problem . If I go onto a lane that the ferry was designed for lock up the car and walk away what are they going to do ? Frog March me back to the car that and force me off . . Newspapers will have a field day about an unsafe operator, remember the herald of free enterprise, it was the norm to set sail with the doors open to safe 10 mins . Just because this ferry company squeezes more cars on than it should, doesn't make it right.

Actually it is designed for a certain amount of load space area, and for a certain displacement. They are free to load the load space as they please as long as the total ship's displacement is not exceeded. So are you going to get back off the boat to check the Plimsole line too?

Actually it is designed for a certain amount of load space area, and for a certain displacement. They are free to load the load space as they please as long as the total ship's displacement is not exceeded. So are you going to get back off the boat to check the Plimsole line too?

To the point of damaging vehicles by placing them too close together? I think not!

When a ferry company accepts bookings for a number of vehicles for the ship, they do not know in advance what weather conditions will be like, and they are well aware that vehicles sway on their suspensions due to wave swell. Please qualify your comment in relationship to legal duty of care, or do you believe that a ferry company can discharge its responsibilities to accommodate any number of vehicles regardless. When a company advertises its ability to cater for a range of vehicles, provision for reasonable safe passage for those vehicles is an automatically accepted legal condition. And this includes allowing for the weather factor, hence satisfactory spacing.

I know all possible events cannot be anticipated, but deliberately loading in a manner so as to obviously place those vehicles at risk is a failure in duty of care.

The vehicles may well sway on theirs suspensions, however they are on a ship not a motorway, therefore they will sway in the same direction at the same time. Most will not believe it but 4" is a lot with even a large swell or high sea state to close and actually hit the next vehicle. The problem comes when or if the sea state is such that the wheels slide on the deck and it becomes progressive, and that will be in the force 10 plus area and the ship is forced to slow down to the point stabilisers are become less than fully effective.

Do they tie down cars or caravans?

Last time I did a Dover crossing (fairly calm) a couple of trucks on the fore deck in the open had chains lashing the trailers, so wondered if the lashed anything else, and how/where you'd lash a caravan?