Sign in to follow this  
matelodave

The Vulcan

Just watched it display at bournemouth air show.

Sad to think I will never see its like again.

Vulcan over our rally at Woodmansey ( nr Hull) on Wednesday for about 15 minutes. ...not far from her home in Lincolnshire, she was doing practice wing swings. ...came back again Thursday briefly in normal flight. .....had Spitfires over in dribs and drabs over the week. .some very late in day, almost dark.

geoff

Vulcan over our rally at Woodmansey ( nr Hull) on Wednesday for about 15 minutes. ...not far from her home in Lincolnshire, she was doing practice wing swings. ...came back again Thursday briefly in normal flight. .....had Spitfires over in dribs and drabs over the week. .some very late in day, almost dark.

geoff

Spitfires. ...' Ah! Proper aeroplanes, not like them flyin' blowlamps. :(

geoff

Now there was me thinking Doncaster was in Yorkshire.

The Vulcan To The Sky website for XH558 proclaims "Welcome to Yorkshire".

When operational with the RAF, the Vulcan was based at Conningsby, Scampton and Waddington in Lincs, Cottesmore in Leics and Finningley (where XH558 is based) in South Yorkshire - but in the event of conflict would be dispersed among 26 other bases and visited many other bases.

The Vulcan To The Sky website for XH558 proclaims "Welcome to Yorkshire".

When operational with the RAF, the Vulcan was based at Conningsby, Scampton and Waddington in Lincs, Cottesmore in Leics and Finningley (where XH558 is based) in South Yorkshire - but in the event of conflict would be dispersed among 26 other bases and visited many other bases.

Used to do circuits and bumps at Machrihanish and that was in 78. Funny enough some aircraft that visited our NATO MDA use to go U/S and the crew's would always have their Golf Clubs . .. Swange . .. Swange indeed. ..

GAS . ... :blink:

Standard NATO aircrew issue GAS.

Now there was me thinking Doncaster was in Yorkshire.

And so right you are. ...sorry

Geoff

They've messed around with county boundaries so much - South Yorkshire was never a Riding so not really Yorkshire - then there was Humberside - I haven't got a clue anymore.

We lived 15 year in't North Yorkshire, just south of Ripon. But t'weren't really North Yorkshire cos before reorganisation it were in West Riding. Them politicians do fiddle about and I very much doubt that any of their boundary changes ever actually save the money they suggest.

Take it all back to pre 1970 and let us get on.

We lived 15 year in't North Yorkshire, just south of Ripon. But t'weren't really North Yorkshire cos before reorganisation it were in West Riding. Them politicians do fiddle about and I very much doubt that any of their boundary changes ever actually save the money they suggest.

Take it all back to pre 1970 and let us get on.

One of my favourite pubs in Teesdale proudly flies the North Yorkshire flag despite now being in Co Durham - the river used to be the boundary with Co Durham but the reorganisation extended Co Durham and moved the boundary south to the watershed.

As said earlier the Vulcans were based at RAF Finningley, they had an annual air show, we went each year with our owners club, on the Sunday after all the day trippers had left, the Vulcan put on a extra show for the remaining caravaners, watched by the kids from the static Vulcan that was parked up. When it was operational the MPs had Russian wolfhounds as guard dogs, they also supplied the caught rabbits for the cook house. :rolleyes: Nos

Edited by nosnibora

One of my favourite pubs in Teesdale proudly flies the North Yorkshire flag despite now being in Co Durham - the river used to be the boundary with Co Durham but the reorganisation extended Co Durham and moved the boundary south to the watershed.

Stupid wasn't it! At least my nearest local town is County Town so won't fiddle with that. ..

geoff

They've messed around with county boundaries so much - South Yorkshire was never a Riding so not really Yorkshire - then there was Humberside - I haven't got a clue anymore.

South Yorkshire was West Riding, Humberside was East Riding. Finningley was in Nottinghamshire when Robin hood was a lad

Yorkshire_Ridings_l.gif

And almost without anyone noticing, South Yorkshire nicked Finningley from Nottinghamshire. .. ;)

For Us Cold War Aircraft buffs. .. Been to many in ma day's in the RAF and commercially . .. Hope the link works. ...

GAS . ..... ;)

https://youtu. be/zxshOMFTZdM

• Like 2

Thanks, brought back lots of happy memories of RAF Finningley. B) Nos

All you ex-mob bods . .

If you have not already found it, the forum at http://rafforum. activeboard. com/ is a good place to visit.

All you ex-mob bods . .

If you have not already found it, the forum at http://rafforum. activeboard. com/ is a good place to visit.

Can you get Brylcreem at discounted rates? Emoji_02708.pngEmoji_02708.png:lol:

Can you get Brylcreem at discounted rates? Emoji_02708.pngEmoji_02708.png:lol:

No point . . none of us have enough hair left to use it on . . ;):beardy:

Edited by Disco Kid
  • Like 2

No point . . none of us have enough hair left to use it on . . ;):beardy:

Ha! Ha! Ha! Great response!!

I seem to be growing more hair but its out of ma hooter and ma lugs. Even found a huge grey hair growing out of ma ear LOOB !! Swange !!

GAS . ..... ;)

GAS, can you compete with this . ... ?

The longest nipple hair is 17. 00 cm (6. 69 in) and belongs to Daniele Tuveri (Italy), as measured in Cagliari, Italy, on 13 March 2013.

Guinness Book of Worlld Records

Edited by Disco Kid

Thanks, brought back lots of happy memories of RAF Finningley. :) Nos

I meant watching it while on the club rallies there, :ph34r: I am far too young to have worked there :rolleyes: and I have a full mop of blackish hair on my head. B) Nos

GAS, can you compete with this . ... ?

The longest [/size]nipple hair[/size] is 17. 00 cm (6. 69 in) and belongs to Daniele Tuveri (Italy)[/size], as measured in Cagliari, Italy, on 13 March 2013. [/size]

Guinness Book of Worlld Records[/size]

And that is just the women's record lol

Sign in to follow this