Living in Bournemouth, we get a grandstand view at low altitude from the garden every year.

Pure power - Vulcan is the beauty and the beast rolled into one!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For Us Cold War Aircraft buffs. .. Been to many in ma day's in the RAF and commercially . .. Hope the link works. ...   GAS . .....     https://youtu. be/zxshOMFTZdM

No point . . none of us have enough hair left to use it on . .

Another reminder on above as threads tend to get buried around here!!   7. 30pm tomorrow, Sunday 29th November, Channel 4. Guy Martin presents a 90 minute program telling the story of the Avro Vul

Posted Images

My mate is a member of the Vulcan to the skies project & got the heads up about it leaving Finningly last Friday morning, he was there like a shot. I believe this is its last season so if you want to see it flying ( & hear it) take the opportunity.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

Saw it land at Yeovilton on Saturday, a beautiful sight. Went for a ride to get some strawberries from a little place called Rodney Stokes near Cheddar and got out of the car to see the Vulcan flying in front of us! Going to see her again at Eastbourne in August :)

My mate is a member of the Vulcan to the skies project & got the heads up about it leaving Finningly last Friday morning, he was there like a shot. I believe this is its last season so if you want to see it flying ( & hear it) take the opportunity.

Also have friends who are involved with 'Vulcan to the Skies'; their motorhome is referred to as the NAAFI wagon by those involved at the various airshows!

Edited by kiaman
  • 1 month later...

Just had a massive delight today. Whilst out cleaning the van from the recent trip to France, heard this almighty noise in the sky and flying relatively low and slowly was the final Vulcan bomber. Fantastic sight and I think it may be the last time I will see the big old bird flying. Didn't get time for a pic unfortunately.

Seemed to be heading off to middle wallop or maybe yeovillton (not sure what shows are on at the moment)

Deffo Javelins, note the straight leading edge of the wings and compare to the curved leading edge of the Vulcan in DK's pic.

They've said that every year is the last year for the last few years. Mainly it's because of airworthiness certification issues and irreplaceable gear becoming life expired.

How they've managed to wiggle through these last few years I've not been able to fathom.

They are Javelins but the early Vulcans had straight leading edge as well.

I've just finished reading Tony Blackman's book "Vulcan Test Pilot" which is very enlightening - one accidentally went supersonic in a vertical dive over the English Channel, fortunately without breaking up, and the Vulcan could out-manoeuvre a F15 in a dog-fight - the Vulcan would just pull a tight turn and go the other way but the F15 took forever to turn round at 3x the Vulcan's speed.

The reason the Vulcan lasted so long is that they were strengthened after production for the aborted Skybolt, with that strengthening it was better able to survive the stresses of low-level flight that caused early retirement of the other V-bombers. The high-level role they'd been designed for had to be abandoned as the USSR got effective missiles sooner than expected.

We're going to Wings & Wheels at Dunsfold (ex-home of Top Gear) at August BH, our last chance to see it flying.

On a trivia note - it's thought that the reason the UK has 5m motorway bridges compared to the 4m on the continent, is that the Javelin squadrons planned to disperse in the event of conflict with USSR, using motorways as runways and hiding under the bridges to avoid detection - 5m gave just enough for the Javelin's high tailplane - it may all be urban myth, of course.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Remember a Black Buck Vulcan coming to Marham when I was based there. . Nothing out the ordinary and no big deal to a 20 year old but was unaware it was in for some modifications before departing for the South Atlantic. . :blink:

GAS . ..... :angry:

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Remember a Black Buck Vulcan coming to Marham when I was based there. . Nothing out the ordinary and no big deal to a 20 year old but was unaware it was in for some modifications before departing for the South Atlantic. . :blink:

GAS . ..... :angry:

I think the Victor K2 tankers were based at Marham and the Vulcan crews needed to re-qualify for inflight refuelling for Black Buck as it was no longer routinely practised by the Vulcans.

Just had a massive delight today. Whilst out cleaning the van from the recent trip to France, heard this almighty noise in the sky and flying relatively low and slowly was the final Vulcan bomber. Fantastic sight and I think it may be the last time I will see the big old bird flying. Didn't get time for a pic unfortunately.

Seemed to be heading off to middle wallop or maybe yeovillton (not sure what shows are on at the moment)

Might have come from Shoreham where there was a terrible accident with a Hawker crashing onto the A27 killing 7 people, the Vulcan was meant to be flying again tomorrow but they've cancelled the show :( tragic for all involved :(

Might have come from Shoreham where there was a terrible accident with a Hawker crashing onto the A27 killing 7 people, the Vulcan was meant to be flying again tomorrow but they've cancelled the show :( tragic for all involved :(

It was going south west over Newbury

Wonderful sight at RIAT this year!

I have a friend who actually flew them as the pilot! He never says much about it though, just says I flew them!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

That's a tragic accident - the Hunter seems to have been flying too slowly at the bottom of the loop to generate enough lift to stay in the air. The pilot could have ejected but kept trying to the end.

Wonderful sight at RIAT this year!

I have a friend who actually flew them as the pilot! He never says much about it though, just says I flew them!

Like all military personnel, and many others, they are subject to the Official Secrets Act (Kapustin Yar - I wasn't there)

Saw it at Bournemouth today.

Didn't display at Shoreham due to accident. Was due to do a fly past at Bournemouth in transit to

Dawlish

Some fly past. Went around several times before disappearing up into the sky like a rocket.

Four Olympus on reheat. An amazing noise, noisier than the Red Arrows but not as noisy as the typhoon.

Full display at Bournemouth air show tomorrow. Weather permitting

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Didn't display at Shoreham due to accident. Was due to do a fly past at Bournemouth in transit to

Dawlish

Some fly past. Went around several times before disappearing up into the sky like a rocket.

Four Olympus on reheat. An amazing noise, noisier than the Red Arrows but not as noisy as the typhoon.

Looks like I sent it on its way to you. It's was at Newbury around 1. 40pm

Dawlish

The Vulcan didn't have reheat - that was basic power!

The "Vulcan howl" is something to behold - only occurs on Vulcans with 200 series Olympus engines (as XH558 has) as the power goes through 87-95% for take-off.

Wish I could have got up to see it, I'll have to be content with my memories of sitting 3 feet away between two marinised Olympus TM3's at full throttle on a Type 21 frigate, 28,000 shaft horse power vibrating through you and ringing in each ear was quite impressive!

I think the Victor K2 tankers were based at Marham and the Vulcan crews needed to re-qualify for inflight refuelling for Black Buck as it was no longer routinely practised by the Vulcans.

55 and 57 Sqn Victor Tankers and 232 OCU Canberra rings a bell and two Squadrons of the then new Tornado came rolling out . .. Busy wee station BC. . One of the Victors caught fire as it was rolling to take off no long before I went to Stanley. Just after a major service as well. .. Sad sight . ... Crew self evacuated thank goodness. ...

GAS . ... :mellow:

55 and 57 Sqn Victor Tankers and 232 OCU Canberra rings a bell and two Squadrons of the then new Tornado came rolling out . .. Busy wee station BC. . One of the Victors caught fire as it was rolling to take off no long before I went to Stanley. Just after a major service as well. .. Sad sight . ... Crew self evacuated thank goodness. ...

GAS . ... :mellow:

I was treated to a behind the scenes tour at Marham during the final years of the Canberra in 39 Squadron, which was in service 50 years - as a photo-reconnaissance platform it was superb, the PR9 taking over from U2 as the undisclosed service ceiling was way more than the published 70,000 feet - and only superceded by the advent of satellite surveillance.

Tornado was known as Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MRCA) in it's early days but to Canberra fans that was the original MRCA (Must Refurbish Canberra Again) as the original surplus bomber fleets were stored and then used to create every type of variant including unmanned target drone decades before the Americans. I think that Canberra was the only military aircraft we sold to the Americans, it was usually us buying from them.

Canberra was of course our first nuclear jet bomber, predating the V-bombers.

Edited by Black Grouse

I was treated to a behind the scenes tour at Marham during the final years of the Canberra in 39 Squadron, which was in service 50 years - as a photo-reconnaissance platform it was superb, the PR9 taking over from U2 as the undisclosed service ceiling was way more than the published 70,000 feet - and only superceded by the advent of satellite surveillance.

Tornado was known as Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MRCA) in it's early days but to Canberra fans that was the original MRCA (Must Refurbish Canberra Again) as the original surplus bomber fleets were stored and then used to create every type of variant including unmanned target drone decades before the Americans. I think that Canberra was the only military aircraft we sold to the Americans, it was usually us buying from them.

Canberra was of course our first nuclear jet bomber, predating the V-bombers.

I worked in the hangar where Canberra's were refurbished. I worked on Tornado production. I could tell some stories but the official secrets act prevents me. ......... I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you. :)

Everything goes to Entropy . ......... In this world.

I worked in the hangar where Canberra's were refurbished. I worked on Tornado production. I could tell some stories but the official secrets act prevents me. ......... I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you. :)

There's a lot been kept quiet about Canberra operations - it was quite convenient to let more glamorous aircraft get all the attention.

Remember my first Shout on a Canberra. Most military and civilian aircraft doors are port side in some form or another but the Canberra was Starboard side,hardly a door more of a hatch to be honest which I'm sure incorporated a red warning disc to tell you if the aircraft was still pressurised ?? Any who I deployed my Major Foam Tender Port side just in case we required to gain entry

Well !! What a bolloching I received from the Sarge !! Dear oh dear. .. In my defence was my first day on duty at Marham and had never seen a Canberra until the Crash Alarm sounded :rolleyes: . .. Wonderful Aircraft. ..

GAS . ... ;)

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

There's a lot been kept quiet about Canberra operations - it was quite convenient to let more glamorous aircraft get all the attention.

The stories are not so much about the Canberra as what went on in general.

The Vulcan didn't have reheat - that was basic power!

The "Vulcan howl" is something to behold - only occurs on Vulcans with 200 series Olympus engines (as XH558 has) as the power goes through 87-95% for take-off.

In that case, it more impressive than I thought.

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

In that case, it more impressive than I thought.

It's certainly impressive - when Concorde, which did have reheat, was being developed much of the test flying was done from Fairford and then it was possible to park on the road across the end of the runway apron and watch Concorde take off over your head - that was mind-blowing on reheat!

It's certainly impressive - when Concorde, which did have reheat, was being developed much of the test flying was done from Fairford and then it was possible to park on the road across the end of the runway apron and watch Concorde take off over your head - that was mind-blowing on reheat!

I'll let you into a secret. I flew Concorde on a "Flight of Fancy" from Heathrow out over the bay of Biscay.

reached Mach 2 at 60,000ft saw curvature of the earth and the Indigo effect of the edge of space. Only problem was the take off was so quick and the climb so steep that when it levelled off sharply all the blood drained from my head and I had to sit with a wet cloth at the back ogf my neck for the duration of the flight. Another lady had the same effect.

I'm not good on rollercoasters either. :)