Sign in to follow this  
Teddy Edwards

Sat Nav... They've An App For That!

Hello,

As we have an 8 year old (cheap) Sat Nav in the car that is starting to sloooooooow down, my thoughts are to replace with an App that can either be used on our smart phones, or in offline mode on a tablet (passenger held).

With phone technology and the computing power/storage these small devices have and the fact that we (I do) carry them with us constantly, I can't see the need for a dedicated device. Anybody else share this view?

I have had a quick look and CoPilot appears popular. Can't decide if to go for Premium Europe at £35, or CoPilot Truck UK + IRE at £90. I don't think I can justify the extra for the truck version (recommended for caravan's). So will just plan ahead and try and manipulate the journey on the standard!

Has anybody used CoPilot. .. is it worth it, does it work??

Appears good. .. lifetime ownership across multiple devices when you purchase. Free map updates. Can be used online and offline. Clear display & voices. Application support by ALK Technologies.

Views welcome from those who use, haven't or wouldn't :)

Teddy

Get your self a Nokia Lumia Windows phone, comes with all your maps and free. And doesn't use any phone data.

• Like 1

Just download the Waze application, totally free and live traffic. Fantastic app. Takes a while to get used to it though.

• Like 1

I downloaded WAZE but it only seems to operate when it has a wifi or phone signal. So on the move wifi is no help and phone data costs. I can't see anything I need to do to get it to operate offline. Am I missing something?

I downloaded WAZE but it only seems to operate when it has a wifi or phone signal. So on the move wifi is no help and phone data costs. I can't see anything I need to do to get it to operate offline. Am I missing something?

You are correct, you need a data connection. I am on GiffGaff unlimited, so no issue for me.

It will operate without a signal but just stops updating the traffic info. I use it daily.

However, if you have a data plan, do not worry, it really does not use much data at all.

• Like 1

I think we've been round this before, I use GiffGaff PAYG and my mobile service costs are about £50 a year. My Nexus 4 phone cost me £299 nearly three years ago. So if the phone died tomorrow the whole lot will have cost me £150 a year, including calls. If it carries on another year then it'll be £125 a year.

Hello,

As we have an 8 year old (cheap) Sat Nav in the car that is starting to sloooooooow down, my thoughts are to replace with an App that can either be used on our smart phones, or in offline mode on a tablet (passenger held).

With phone technology and the computing power/storage these small devices have and the fact that we (I do) carry them with us constantly, I can't see the need for a dedicated device. Anybody else share this view?

I have had a quick look and CoPilot appears popular. Can't decide if to go for Premium Europe at £35, or CoPilot Truck UK + IRE at £90. I don't think I can justify the extra for the truck version (recommended for caravan's). So will just plan ahead and try and manipulate the journey on the standard!

Has anybody used CoPilot. .. is it worth it, does it work??

Appears good. .. lifetime ownership across multiple devices when you purchase. Free map updates. Can be used online and offline. Clear display & voices. Application support by ALK Technologies.

Views welcome from those who use, haven't or wouldn't :)

Teddy

Hi Teddy

This won't do for trucks as such But try one called "Navmii" it works very well and you don't need Wifi or mobile data (only to download it) and there is many maps available The first is free but some others you pay for but UK and western Europe I got included in the download.

And all this free !

• Like 2

OP - yes, used Co-Pilot and it's pretty good. I think, for a paid app, it's worth the money BUT I haven't tried the others, although I think I tried Navmii at one point.

t.

Just got myself a new SatNav as the other one has finally given up after about 8 years. Mobile phones will do the trick if you've got mobile data but aren't so easy to drive as a dedicated satnav which has it's own set of maps and a better GPS engine.

A friend of our got totally lost out in the nether regions of Norfolk last year (near Happisburgh) looking for a very obscure place.

It was in the dark and pouring with rain when her mobile lost service, prodding at the buttons she then lost the app so she then had to try and find a working phone box to find out where she was and get directions. She did the same coming home again

Navmii works fine on my Android phone, all of Europe maps free and does not require data signal at all.

Phil.

• Like 1

I think we've been round this before, I use GiffGaff PAYG and my mobile service costs are about £50 a year. My Nexus 4 phone cost me £299 nearly three years ago. So if the phone died tomorrow the whole lot will have cost me £150 a year, including calls. If it carries on another year then it'll be £125 a year.

I have a HTC 510 which only costs £6. 25 a month I've bargained and got that for two years, I also bought one on PAYG for around £120, to be honest I think PAYG is now obsolete especially when phones can be as little £5 a month now.

Both come with google maps which I think you could use for navigation, I did have WAzE on the phone but find it hard work, recently deleted it.

Some cars now mirror the smart phone, I think this may well make a built in sat nav redundant providing you have the facility, I would be interested if anyone has done this.

Edited by xtrailman

After trying a few I now use navigator on an android phone and tablets. Once downloaded you don't need wifi or data signal.

It has maps for all over the world (you can select which you want and change at anytime, though wifi required to download more maps of course.).

I beleive it has a truck mode, but not 100% certain on that.

Clear directions, works quick, and it's free. Best I have tried so far.

• Like 1

Navmii is very good, it was called Navfree.

It has options for trucking and caravanning, although I wouldn't trust it ;)

Hi,

I've just started using TomTom go on my smartphone which is free to download and for the first 50 miles per month. If you need more it's £15 per year or £36 for 3 years. This way you can try it locally to see if you like it before throwing money at it. It seems ok so far but haven't paid for it yet. No caravan option on it though.

I swear by google maps. The sat nav has an annoying American accent but the traffic is scarily accurate and it also knows when roads are closed. Downside is it hasn't got truck mode, plus side is its free :)

It got us 2500miles round California and Nevada last year and even avoided the closure due to forest fire near Lake Tahoe. Well impressed.

• Like 1

Nokia Next maps (free) can be downloaded to the phone. It then only requires a GPS signal for use as a sat nav.

Supposed to be the bee's knees in mapping ;)http://tinyurl. com/qg8eogm

• Like 2

As above, I have my second Nokia Lumia widows phone and has "free" maps EU as well maps no data needed. I've even tried my phone in aeroplane mode, and still have a Sat nav. ...http://m. youtube. com/watch?v=bzjSEvL3YMk

Edited by gooney1971

As above, I have my second Nokia Lumia widows phone and has "free" maps EU as well maps no data needed. I've even tried my phone in aeroplane mode, and still have a Sat nav. ...http://m. youtube. com/watch?v=bzjSEvL3YMk

Great, but Microsoft are planning to dump the Windows phone support apparently. ..

http://dazeinfo. com/2014/09/15/microsoft-corporation-msft-set-dump-windows-phone/

Great, but Microsoft are planning to dump the Windows phone support apparently. ..

http://dazeinfo. com/2014/09/15/microsoft-corporation-msft-set-dump-windows-phone/

"Oh poo" 😒 not good then. ..

"Oh poo" not good then. ..

I know, it's actually one of the few things Microsoft ever got right. Not many apps though.

• Like 1

Navmii is very good, it was called Navfree.

It has options for trucking and caravanning, although I wouldn't trust it ;)

I also use Navmii on an old Android handset with no sim card installed. Navigation is very accurate but definately dont trust the truck option, believe me it does mot work. But other than that, free app old phone now repurposed dedicated satnav for free! Whats not to like. ......

• Like 1

I have the Tomtom app on my iPhone 5s. It seems to work ok as I always have the charge wire connected. The only thing i do not like is the phone gets very hot when using the app. Does anyone else find this problem?

Funny that, I have used an Android phone with Google Maps as a satnav and I noticed the phone got very hot.

I have the Tomtom app on my iPhone 5s. It seems to work ok as I always have the charge wire connected. The only thing i do not like is the phone gets very hot when using the app. Does anyone else find this problem?

I use the Waze app and my phone does get slightly hot, but still within limits. It helps that in my car the windscreen blower is directed to the back of the phone mount, so it get constantly cooled by the air-con.

• Like 1