Picking Up New Ranger 500/5 On Friday 28th

Marc Ranger 500

Hi all,

I am picking up my brand new Bailey Ranger 500/5 this Friday (28th Jan) and I can't wait.

It will be my first caravan after many years of tenting.

Just a few questions if I may:

1, do you get a waste water pipe to connect the caravan to the wastemaster?

2, do you get a spanner for the gas bottle?

3, do you get a tool to wind the steddies up and down?

Presumably I will get all the gas pipes, and water inlet pipes with the pump. ... Am I right??

Is there anything else I will need to check that I have when I pick the caravan up?

Cheers for you replies in advance.

Marc

Answers in red in your original post, below.

Hi all,

I am picking up my brand new Bailey Ranger 500/5 this Friday (28th Jan) and I can't wait.

It will be my first caravan after many years of tenting.

Just a few questions if I may:

No, you have to buy what you want unless you can persuade dealer!(get correct diameter).

No

Normally, Yes.

Presumably I will get all the gas pipes, and water inlet pipes with the pump. ...  Am I right?? check gas pipes are there for what you want

Is there anything else I will need to check that I have when I pick the caravan up?

Go through it with a fine tooth-comb

Cheers for you replies in advance.

Marc

6341[/snapback]

We collected a new Bailey Ranger 470/4 on saturday, yes you get the steady spanner, no, no waste hoses or gas bottle spanners included.

In terms of gas, you will??should?? be asked if you plan to use butane or propane, and the necessary tail supplied for the fitted regulator, I asked for butane & also picked up a propane one, very easy to switch over between the two, I've put an adjustable spanner in the gas locker as the gas spanner.

In terms of the handover, being new to caravanning we needed quite a lot of instruction, but at the same time had enough time to go over the van, and I'm pleased to say there appears to be nothing amiss, except a slightly crooked bailey logo on the rear.

Hi Marc,

Good luck on Friday.

Make sure you take the time to get the sales guy to go over how everything works, it can be a bit confusing first time. Dont worry though you will get a manual with the van explaining everything.

Although they're supposed to do a pre delivery inspection dont take it for granted its been done, or properly! So check before you leave that you're happy with everything.

Dont forget that you might need a leisure battery, particulalry if you intend going to CLs or the like, which if you buy at the dealers you might get a discount, plus the thing will start to be charged up when you pull away.

Kitting the thing out is like starting a second home, but dont go overboard, remember you've got a weight limit both in terms of what the van can take and of course the poor old car!

Enjoy yourself.

Davec

If you are buying for the first time you can normally negotiate a special package price for the essential "extras" like battery, gas bottles, water container, waste container, hoses, spare wheel (not supplied with Ranger), etc and don't forget the door step which should be supplied.

Brian

If you are buying for the first time you can normally negotiate a special package price for the essential "extras" like battery, gas bottles, water container, waste container, hoses, spare wheel (not supplied with Ranger), etc and don't forget the door step which should be supplied.

Brian

6412[/snapback]

We're moving to our first van, from camping and tralier tent. When we sold our trailer tent everything went with it. When we were discussing our new van we explained this to the salesman and said 'we want a price that includes all the essential extras' so that we can pick it up and use it straight away.

Also, it has already cropped up in conversation that the delivery handover may take a couple of hours in order to do it properly. .....sounds good to me, but then I haven't done it before. ...does that sound about right?

Hi jetA1

2 hours sounds about right for a handover - certainly no less- take as long as you need. The dealer should have everything set up i. e. elec, gas, water connected and demonstrate how everthing works. On top of that you need to go around everything and check for and any visible defects. Check all the electrics works, the hob and oven and fridge on both elec and gas, hot water on both elec and gas. Check all the window catches and that the windows open OK. Make sure you get all the manuals and CRiS paperwork and any loose items like steady handle, door step, spare wheel (if supplied). Make sure you have arranged insurance BEFORE you drive it off the premises, and then enjoy your caravanning.

Brian

Hi jetA1

2 hours sounds about right for a handover - certainly no less- take as long as you need. The dealer should have everything set up i. e. elec, gas, water connected and demonstrate how everthing works. On top of that you need to go around everything and check for and any visible defects. Check all the electrics works, the hob and oven and fridge on both elec and gas, hot water on both elec and gas. Check all the window catches and that the windows open OK. Make sure you get all the manuals and CRiS paperwork and any loose items like steady handle, door step, spare wheel (if supplied). Make sure you have arranged insurance BEFORE you drive it off the premises, and then enjoy your caravanning.

Brian

6426[/snapback]

Thanks Brian,

I've already started making lists of items to check and questions to ask. ..I'm a bit like that (in fact on the QT I'll admit to being an auditor at work :o) I will be quite happy to take my time on the handover. We have chosen the insurance policy we intend to use, thats ready for when we have a collection date.

Having picked up our first ever caravan last October (Discovery 400) I agree with everything said above. A few extra pieces of advice:

- Don't just be shown what to do, actually have a go yourself in front of the salesman. Its all second nature to him so it'll look dead easy and some things aren't (even opening the fridge for example)

- Check that the mains electric cable hasn't been left on the workshop floor (should be in one of the bed boxes at the front)

- Check every electric light, giving each one a tap to make sure there aren't any loose connections or bulbs that are about to blow

- Pull down the fly/black-out screens to make sure they don't come off in your hand the first time you use them

- Have a go at putting up the bunk bed

- Make sure you know everything there is to know about your car, its max towing capabilities and recommended noseweights before you pick up the van

- Load the van up how you think it should be done and check the noseweight to make sure its all within the limits of your car. Remember, the noseweight can easily be too light as well as too heavy!

- Buy a lighter thingy for the hob (you know, one of those spark jobeys), something to keep your tow ball clean as your Ranger comes with a stabiliser, and a sponge/shammy leather for wiping down the loo seat as its a shared loo/shower cubical

- Take it easy when you get to your first site, relax and do it by the numbers. Oh, and have the telephone number of a good marriage councillor handy!

Good luck.

- Buy a lighter thingy for the hob (you know, one of those spark jobeys)....

- . ......Oh, and have the telephone number of a good marriage councillor handy!....

Good luck.

6527[/snapback]

. ...Lighter thingy EVEN if you have electronic ignition. ......

. ...Also phone number of dealer, just in case . ......

. ...Lighter thingy EVEN if you have electronic ignition. ......

. ...Also phone number of dealer, just in case . ......

6532[/snapback]

We had a call from our Dealer today, saying our new Provence will be ready for collection from the 15th Feb not the middle of March which we were originally advised. Hows that for good service.

Can't wait.

Janice.

something to keep your tow ball clean as your Ranger comes with a stabiliser,

6527[/snapback]

Only if it has been fitted as an accessory, the Ranger as standard somes with a plain AlKo hitch. Its the pagents & senators that have them fitted as standard.

We had a call from our Dealer today, saying our new Provence will be ready for collection from the 15th Feb not the middle of March which we were originally advised. Hows that for good service.

Can't wait.

Janice.

6572[/snapback]

Hi

We went to our dealer to day to sort out one or to thing, for our new van which is to be delivered last week in March weeek 12. But to our suprise he tell us it will be delivered week 6 :o , that means we take delivery in two weeks from now. This is great :rolleyes:, so that means we will have to start looking for a site for the easter break B) . one minute had nothing to do at easter now it is all go

Lock the door AND unlock it whilst at the dealers. Dont do what we did and go straight to a site without trying the door lock only to find you cant get in!!! We managed it after a while (and a phone call to the dealer) Was just a little stiff!

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

Thank you all for the helpful replies.

I will have to negotiate with the dealer for some of the items I obviously haven’t got, although they did throw in an Alko 3004 stabiliser pack (with hitchlock etc) with the caravan because we had no part exchange.

I am getting a bit nervous now that there is only two days to go before I will be towing (for the first time) a caravan…… and that it is nearly 22 foot long. :o

Cheers again for your advice.

I will let you know how I get on.

Marc

Wait 'til you try to reverse the thing onto a pitch for the first time, that was hilarious! However, it also showed me what a great bunch of people my fellow caravanners are. It was obvious I was new to it all, and there were many offers of help that finally ended in the van being pushed onto the pitch (it was a very narrow angle and it was chucking down with rain. ..honest!).

Good luck again. Are you going straight to a site with it?

Mike

Wait 'til you try to reverse the thing onto a pitch for the first time, that was hilarious! However, it also showed me what a great bunch of people my fellow caravanners are. It was obvious I was new to it all, and there were many offers of help that finally ended in the van being pushed onto the pitch (it was a very narrow angle and it was chucking down with rain. ..honest!).

Good luck again. Are you going straight to a site with it?

Mike

6984[/snapback]

Cheers Mike

Yes we are going straight to a site with it. ... I didn't like the idea of spending over £10000 on a caravan just to drive it straight to the storage place.

Luckily (I think) the pitch we have chosen has a lovely view over a valley so we will have to pull the caravan in frontways (all hard standing) so I won’t have to try and reverse it in.

Although I don’t know whether my wife and I will be able to pull a caravan over one ton into position… I will soon find out. ;)

Only one day to go :D

Cheers

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Presumably I will get all the gas pipes, and water inlet pipes with the pump. ...  Am I right??

Marc

6341[/snapback]

Hiya Mark

Think this really depends on how good your dealer is. We recieved all pipes, aqua roll, wastemaster, pump, full butane gas cylinder, electric lead, leisure battery, step, everything needed to start right away, plus a discount on our new Bailey 2005 model. ..I would ask for all of this if you are starting from scratch. ..it is good business sense for the dealer to get you on your way.

good luck

Cheers Mike

Yes we are going straight to a site with it. ... I didn't like the idea of spending over £10000 on a caravan just to drive it straight to the storage place.

Luckily (I think) the pitch we have chosen has a lovely view over a valley so we will have to pull the caravan in frontways (all hard standing) so I won’t have to try and reverse it in.

Although I don’t know whether my wife and I will be able to pull a caravan over one ton into position… I will soon find out.   ;)

Only one day to go  :D

Cheers

Marc

7005[/snapback]

Hi

yes the felling, is great when you get that phone call to say your van has been deliviered. we have just getting that phone call, van will be ready to pick up next sat. Can't wait