Sign in to follow this  
Lefthand Down

Photographing Britain's Disappearing Petrol Stations.

Hi LhD. Yes,very interesting BUT what about Britain's disappearing Pubs.

If the pubs are disappearing in the outlying parts of the country as fast as they began in the cities and major towns then there is nothing down for them in the next 10 years or so.

Perhaps the way forward might be a conversion into pubs and cafés curtsey of Mr Weatherspoon.

He has saved many historical/interesting buildings around the UK by massive internal workings and conversions into pubs/eating houses.

And my hairline :)

and post offices.

and public toilets. The one outside my local station has recently been dismantled and closed. But they have put up a helpful notice telling where the nearest alternative toilet can be found. ........ 3. 5 miles away. .............. with a half-hourly bus service.

Telephone kiosks are also rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Progress isn't all bad, I don't think there are any shared middle lane suicide roads anymore.

Roger.

Here you go AWL - http://www. closedpubs. co. uk/index. html

John

Hi Johnaldo. Thank you for the link/info. The quiet killing-off is really quite scary. Many of the pubs in Lancashire,Cheshire and the outskirts of Liverpool that I served my Drinkers Apprenticeship in have gone. The magority were under the banners of the big Brewery Chains and during the 70's and early 80's the brewery companies were pumping money into the working mens clubs,British Legion Clubs,Catholic Church Clubs and the likes. This was all about "upping the anti" with massive refurbishment schemes and money to cover the cost and all based upon barrelage and neglecting the pubs.

Then the days of Pub lunches and Carveries for pocket money caused a downturn in the Clubs again. Many going bust - GOOD STYLE.

GREED GREED GREED just like some of the huge supermarket chains are showing us.

Edited by AWanderingLancastrian
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this