Desmo904

Lock N Level - Great Gizmo But Be Careful

I've used my newly purchased Lock n Level for the first time. Suitably impressed as it does what it says on the tin.

However I had slight mishap, which I will share so hopefully others will be aware.

Reversed onto hard standing until lock receiver in line

Positioned airbag next to offside wheel.

Towed van forward two feet and slid airbag to correct position.

Reversed van onto airbag.

Fitted Alko lock to near side wheel.

Applied caravan handbrake.

Unhitched car and parked next to caravan.

Pumped up airbag to level side to side (lifted approx 2").

Levelled front to back with jockey wheel.

Began to wind front near side steady down.

Offside caravan wheel rolled backwards off airbag, and as Alko lock was fitted, front of caravan slewed towards car and put a small dent in the wing. Altogether quite alarming and embarrassing.

This happened because although the handbrake lever was applied, the handbrake actually isn't fully applied.

I suppose it's a handbrake design issue rather than an airbag problem.

We moved pitch after a couple of nights and managed to level without drama (I didn't park the car next to the van until all the steadies were down).

Any comments/ recommendations?

I think it might help if your last manoeuvre is forwards so perhaps try lining up the lock n level to the wheel then reversing back and pulling forwards onto the lock n level. When you reverse the caravan using the car the hitch compresses and the brakes "spring off". It is better to pull forwards again before applying the handbrake.

I'm not an expert in caravan brakes by any means but this is my understanding, hopefully someone else with more knowledge of the mechanism can explain how it works!

Mark.

• Like 3

Mark is quite right. I always pull forward onto the ramp. The brakes work then.

Agree with the comments above but as a potential purchaser, slightly confused on how it happened. Unless I'm getting this wrong, the airbag once inflated in position should act as a chock in either direction given that the ends not compressed by the van must be higher.

Agree with the comments above but as a potential purchaser, slightly confused on how it happened. Unless I'm getting this wrong, the airbag once inflated in position should act as a chock in either direction given that the ends not compressed by the van must be higher.

Yes, but air is a fluid and will move freely.

Yes, but air is a fluid and will move freely.

Thanks but I didn't think it would be zero resistance - live and learn.

Caravan handbrakes do not work very well in a backwards direction as a Lock and Level user this can happen if the van need to be levelled close the the maximum working hight of the Lock and Level, so I just push a chock under the ends of the Lock and level that come of the ground when you start inflating.

Caravan handbrakes do not work very well in a backwards direction as a Lock and Level user this can happen if the van need to be levelled close the the maximum working hight of the Lock and Level, so I just push a chock under the ends of the Lock and level that come of the ground when you start inflating.

Yes - I decided to do that too :)

I've used my newly purchased Lock n Level for the first time. Suitably impressed as it does what it says on the tin.

However I had slight mishap, which I will share so hopefully others will be aware.

Reversed onto hard standing until lock receiver in line

Positioned airbag next to offside wheel.

Towed van forward two feet and slid airbag to correct position.

Reversed van onto airbag.

Fitted Alko lock to near side wheel.

Applied caravan handbrake.

Unhitched car and parked next to caravan.

Pumped up airbag to level side to side (lifted approx 2").

Levelled front to back with jockey wheel.

Began to wind front near side steady down.

Offside caravan wheel rolled backwards off airbag, and as Alko lock was fitted, front of caravan slewed towards car and put a small dent in the wing. Altogether quite alarming and embarrassing.

This happened because although the handbrake lever was applied, the handbrake actually isn't fully applied.

I suppose it's a handbrake design issue rather than an airbag problem.

We moved pitch after a couple of nights and managed to level without drama (I didn't park the car next to the van until all the steadies were down).

Any comments/ recommendations?

I use the small plastic wheel chocks after attaching the Alko, put the handbrake on then disconnect movers. Chocks prevent any movement.

Must admit I was completely unaware of this when I bought our caravan, only found out on the forum and it's quite an important bit of information!

Thank goodness you weren't in between the two.

I always pull forward three or 4 foot as my last manoeuvre, I put our LnL on a plank to get max lift so I wouldn't want it slewing off here 😀

post-55551-0-02468800-1433321690_thumb.jpg

We always use our mover and not the vehicle to reverse onto the Lock n Level and then apply the handbrake. We never park that close to the caravan so even if it did slew it would not catch the car. Also we use chocks on the opposite side to the Lock n Level.

We always use our mover and not the vehicle to reverse onto the Lock n Level and then apply the handbrake. We never park that close to the caravan so even if it did slew it would not catch the car. Also we use chocks on the opposite side to the Lock n Level.

It was a difficult pitch tbh and I don't have a mover. We arrived on site (Kendal CC) at around 4. 30pm Friday and the site was almost full.

The pitch was only just long enough for the caravan. If I had towed the van forward onto the LnL the hitch would have been in the roadway. I had no choice with spacing between the caravan and the car as that is all the pitch width allowed.

This is the first time in around 2 years that we've been on a CC site, as we normally use CLs.

On all the CLs we've used I've never needed a mover, so couldn't see the point in fitting one.

We only went on a CC site this time as I was determined to use my two free vouchers :P

What is the inflated diameter of a l'n'l, please . .

It was a difficult pitch tbh and I don't have a mover. We arrived on site (Kendal CC) at around 4. 30pm Friday and the site was almost full.

The pitch was only just long enough for the caravan. If I had towed the van forward onto the LnL the hitch would have been in the roadway. I had no choice with spacing between the caravan and the car as that is all the pitch width allowed.

This is the first time in around 2 years that we've been on a CC site, as we normally use CLs.

On all the CLs we've used I've never needed a mover, so couldn't see the point in fitting one.

We only went on a CC site this time as I was determined to use my two free vouchers :P

Easy mistake to make in hindsight and maybe it will happen to us at some time if we forget your advice. :D

Must admit I was completely unaware of this when I bought our caravan, only found out on the forum and it's quite an important bit of information!

Thank goodness you weren't in between the two.

I always pull forward three or 4 foot as my last manoeuvre, I put our LnL on a plank to get max lift so I wouldn't want it slewing off here

Sleapyfolk--

Block out your registration plate next time, you never know -----------------------

Sleapyfolk--

Block out your registration plate next time, you never know -----------------------

good advice these days it seems, that was a courtesy car we had - that corsa would have struggled up hill with the Louisiana on the back

Mark is quite right. I always pull forward onto the ramp. The brakes work then.

Sorry to stray from topic, is there some info on brakes on here? Got a noob question about the benefits of driving up or reversing up levelling amps. Rather pick up a topic than start another fresh one.

Cheers.

Sorry to stray from topic, is there some info on brakes on here? Got a noob question about the benefits of driving up or reversing up levelling amps. Rather pick up a topic than start another fresh one.

Cheers.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/103431-safety-tip-when-unhitching-your-caravan-on-a-hill/page-2?hl=%2Boverrun+%2Bbrakes&do=findComment&comment=1151042

Alko lock fitted to near side wheel. Offside caravan wheel rolled backwards off airbag. If the instructions, to put the bag under the Alko-locked wheel, had been followed - this would never have happened!

Alko lock fitted to near side wheel. Offside caravan wheel rolled backwards off airbag. If the instructions, to put the bag under the Alko-locked wheel, had been followed - this would never have happened!

Do all caravans with Alko receivers have them on both sides though?

Why would he want to make the high side even higher, putting it more out of level?.

Also, why wouldn't the handbrake be on, especially as the lock was fitted and wheel lined to with lnl

This also happened to me when using the lock n level. Since then I always put the steadies down as soon as the van is level and release the mover afterwards. Has worked fine since

Do all caravans with Alko receivers have them on both sides though?

AFAIK it's left-side (UK near-side) only.