Sign in to follow this  
chrisheg

Dfds Ferry Newcastle To Ijmuiden

Recently travelled on this ferry route on a Sunday evening to take advantage of free caravan offer. Couple of weeks before departure we were informed that the departure (and arrival in Ijmuiden ) would be delayed by two hours. It was only when we were on the ferry that we found out that the delay was to allow 12 coach loads of football fans to catch the ferry after a teatime kick off at Newcastle. The fans were mainly dutch or german and very well behaved and it appears that DFDS are marketing football trips on this ferry - trip including ticket at either Newcastle or Sunderland for about 150 euros. Could have implications for those wanting an early departure from the port with a later arrival of 11. 30!

Good 'heads up', had considered this route myself recently. ..thanks

geoff

We've used this route regularly in recent years. Last on it a few weeks back and will be using it again in July. Haven't heard of this before but I don't suppose there's too much you can do about it anyway if you're booking the ferry in advance, short of scouring the football fixtures for months ahead! Just need to hope that, as the op found, the fans are well behaved!

I can't say I've ever found anyway that you get off the ferry at anything like the stated time, by the time it docks and then you get the call to disembark. Not a great problem for us, but as you say, it might be if you were needing a sharp exit from the port.

Disloyal of me to say it as I'm a Newcastle lad, but I think on balance I'd rather be in the company of bus loads of Dutch or Germans than bus loads of Geordies

Edited by mw3230

Yes the Germans and dutch were a great crowd - very well behaved. As for looking at the football fixtures well ahead this will not work as Sky seem to determine when over any weekend which teams they wish to broadcast and when those games are played.