Sign in to follow this  
springtime

Thetford C200E Pump Not Working

Just a slight hickup before we go away for a week tomorrow - just tested the toilet pump and nothing happened.

Checked the fuse - ok.

Checked for power to the wiring block again ok.

After head scratching I leavered the blue switch unit out with two small screwdrivers and undid the the cover underneath (4 screws) to get to the pump.

Unclipped the hose and lifted the pump up where I could see green gunge aroung the impeller. Cleaned this off and freed up the impeller. Also a few good squirts of WD40.

Put the pump back in and voila it worked a treat.

The impeller was obviously seized up during the winter layup.

Pleased as punch.

Please note that the reassembly requires the switch unit/carrier to be resealed with a little flexible mastic.

Been covered recently in another thread. As myself and others recommend, carry a spare, - it will go

again. ..and again. Good luck.

John

Yup, I'm sure that it's a common problem but it's the first time it's happened to me in the 5 years I've owned the caravan.

I don't think it warrants carrying a spare pump though - I'll see how it goes.

Edited by springtime

Clearly we agree to differ if the problem is cause by a build up of algae, which it was, then no pump replacement is necessary.

If I went down the replacement route each time instead of a little maintenance then I'd hate to think of what the cost would be when a similar blockage for the same reason occurs in my garden pond pump which costs over £100.

Edited by springtime

Been there done that ! Ours was black gunge ! I reused the mastic that was already on there. .... Once you know how things work nothing is scary any more ! Caravans are good for that ! ;)

Our mover packed up on one side just as we engaged it on our return a couple of days ago. We managed to get it on the drive by using just the one roller and steering it using the jockey wheel by pulling it sideways etc. It actually worked quite well ! It looks like the thing that winds the roller it onto the tyre has come off the spiral screw whatsit ! Looks like I'll be underneath the caravan next weekend !!! ;)

Been there done that ! Ours was black gunge ! I reused the mastic that was already on there. .... Once you know how things work nothing is scary any more ! Caravans are good for that ! ;)

Our mover packed up on one side just as we engaged it on our return a couple of days ago. We managed to get it on the drive by using just the one roller and steering it using the jockey wheel by pulling it sideways etc. It actually worked quite well ! It looks like the thing that winds the roller it onto the tyre has come off the spiral screw whatsit ! Looks like I'll be underneath the caravan next weekend !!! ;)

Absolutely right :goodpost:

It's happened to me, the pump was so stiff so would not start, loosend it up and off it went.

• Like 1

Corrosion on the circuit board connections is another common problem,

which reminds me, I must get a new can of switch cleaner. ;)

Hopefully this is a the right thread to follow up on the Thetford toilet pump failure. My toilet is the Thetford C200 CWE model and on our first trip this year the toilet wouldn't flush. The fuse in the cassette compartment had blown so I suspected that the pump had seized. Rather than faff around at the storage site I bit the bullet and ordered http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/201189631771

I fitted it with no problem and all worked ok. However the plastic clip which holds the pipe/vent valve to the back of the unit was broken (brittle) and won't hold the hose. I managed to jam it in situ but cannot find a reference to a replacement on the Thetford web site. It's what I think is called a fir tree clip due to the fitting method in to the unit back plate. Any ideas as to a source or alternative?

PS when I got home I sprayed the original pump with WD40 electrical spay and having given it a turn with needle nosed pliers, hey presto it worked again so it will go in the spares bin.

Never had any black grunge in my toilet in 5 years. I clean it out thoroughly using a domestic cleaner with added bleach and dry out the inside of the flush tank before laying it up for the winter. I also unclip the pump from the tank and wrap it up in a micro fibre cloth.

Works perfectly every time in the spring.

My 9 year old pump has been sticking at the start of the season for the last 4 years. Today the same. Obviously leaving the container empty over the winter the impeller drys out, sticks to the wall, overloads the motor and blows the fuse. Taking it out and forcing it round cures the problem, but I was wondering how to prevent it happening each year.

Part fill with antifreeze mixture?

Spray the impeller with silicon oil (might swell the rubber?).

A new one might be the answer, but would probably suffer the same again after a few years.

I doubt that I will buy a spare just to carry as if the worst come to the worst, a beaker of water from the sink does the same job.

Never had any black grunge in my toilet in 5 years. I clean it out thoroughly using a domestic cleaner with added bleach and dry out the inside of the flush tank before laying it up for the winter. I also unclip the pump from the tank and wrap it up in a micro fibre cloth.

Works perfectly every time in the spring.

Just noticed your post. What domestic cleaner do you use? I use a very mild does of milton which works, but is not very good.

That link has ended, but this looks the same. My main problem is how to shrink the tubing as I have not power at my storage.

Hopefully this is a the right thread to follow up on the Thetford toilet pump failure. My toilet is the Thetford C200 CWE model and on our first trip this year the toilet wouldn't flush. The fuse in the cassette compartment had blown so I suspected that the pump had seized. Rather than faff around at the storage site I bit the bullet and ordered http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/201189631771

I fitted it with no problem and all worked ok. However the plastic clip which holds the pipe/vent valve to the back of the unit was broken (brittle) and won't hold the hose. I managed to jam it in situ but cannot find a reference to a replacement on the Thetford web site. It's what I think is called a fir tree clip due to the fitting method in to the unit back plate. Any ideas as to a source or alternative?

PS when I got home I sprayed the original pump with WD40 electrical spay and having given it a turn with needle nosed pliers, hey presto it worked again so it will go in the spares bin.

How about using a Tie Wrap, sometimes called a Zip tie

When you say checked fuse I have been caught with not working pumps when the fuse to the pump worked but there was another blade fuse in the cassette locker .

Dave

Had to fit a new pump and not having access to mains leccy nicked the domestic staff's kitchen gadget https://www. amazon. co. uk/Master-Class-Deluxe-Cooking-Torch/dp/B001NWRVEM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1493749345&sr=8-10&keywords=blowtorch+cooking and used it on the heat shrink tubing around the new cable butt connectors. Cheaper ones are available.

Edited by Ovingtonbongo
  • Like 1

How about using a Tie Wrap, sometimes called a Zip tie

Off tomorrow to try the cable tie method. I'm thinking of using a jubilee clip on the pipe to give the tie something to support the pipe and then looping the rest of the tie round what's left of the clip.

I had confirmation from Thetford that the pump cable clip/bracket is a "production " part and not available as a spare part. They suggested that it would not be a problem if the pump just dangled on the end of its hose in the tank!!!

Given the number of posts I have read now loads of people have reported that they have the same problem, I can't believe that Thetford isn't aware of it.

Off tomorrow to try the cable tie method. I'm thinking of using a jubilee clip on the pipe to give the tie something to support the pipe and then looping the rest of the tie round what's left of the clip.

I had confirmation from Thetford that the pump cable clip/bracket is a "production " part and not available as a spare part. They suggested that it would not be a problem if the pump just dangled on the end of its hose in the tank!!!

Given the number of posts I have read now loads of people have reported that they have the same problem, I can't believe that Thetford isn't aware of it.

Mine only dangles! Only the hose is clipped about 2 inches above the pump.

There are actually two pipe clips on the back of the flush tank - both broken on mine. I took the hose off the pump and worked a jubilee clip up to where the pump pipe and the flush pipe join at the vacuum breaker. I then inserted a cable tie between the jubilee clip and the pipe and then looped it over the stub remains of the plastic pipe clip. Pulled the tie tight and hey presto my pump is now secure in the tank. It will be easy to remove my mods if the pump needs replacing in the future.

My 9 year old pump has been sticking at the start of the season for the last 4 years. Today the same. Obviously leaving the container empty over the winter the impeller drys out, sticks to the wall, overloads the motor and blows the fuse. Taking it out and forcing it round cures the problem, but I was wondering how to prevent it happening each year.

Part fill with antifreeze mixture?

Spray the impeller with silicon oil (might swell the rubber?).

A new one might be the answer, but would probably suffer the same again after a few years.

I doubt that I will buy a spare just to carry as if the worst come to the worst, a beaker of water from the sink does the same job.

Just noticed your post. What domestic cleaner do you use? I use a very mild does of milton which works, but is not very good.

Cleaner I use is a regular kitchen cleaner with added bleach, currently Star drops.

But to be honest when I first got the van the toilet flush was really bad with black mould. On that occasion I used bleach straight from the bottle along with a couple of small brushes I had to clean the gunge off. I had the garden hose trickling all the time and flushed the whole lot out.

Hi got a 2016 swift 580

Toilet wont flush any ideas

Mr C

Posted (edited)

When did the flush last work?   The previous posts in this thread cover all of the possible reasons for not working but corroded PCB or Stuck pump impeller most likely.

Oh and Welcome to the forum.

Edited by b4bill

1 hour ago, Mr Connor said:

Hi got a 2016 swift 580

Toilet wont flush any ideas

Mr C

Its always  good to give as much info as possible. There are several models of Thetford toilets, and even variations of these.  Otherwise you rely upon a response from someone who has or has had your exact van

Hi all

Sorry its a Thetford C260 cassette toilet

3 years old

Mr C

When did it last flush?