Outlander Phev

I bought from Leeds Mitsubishi back in Sep 16 but that deal has ended :(

Mitsubishi have just launched MY17 PHEV so discounts may be slim for a while IMHO unless you find a MY16 available then you might do a better deal. Not much between them from what I've heard - new model gets electronic handbrake and switch to force electric only use until battery flat :unsure:

Carwow showing avg £6620 savings at moment

Reviews of MY17 explaining upgrades -

http://www. autocar. co. uk/car-review/first-drives/2017-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-5h-review

https://recombu. com/cars/article/2017-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-review

http://www. autoexpress. co. uk/mitsubishi/outlander/93227/new-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-2017-review

Some of the extras were available already on higher spec models but now std on lower specs too

Edited by Muddywheels

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I no longer tow the caravan and do 10-20 miles per day which is within electric range   I have my own company so bought this as a company car due to 100% capital allowance first year and BIK of £54

We have used our 2016 Outlader PHEV to tow our 2014 Sterling Eccles 554 over a thousand miles during the summer with no issues or concerns.   When solo running on the petrol engine alone it returns

The Outlander PHEV has a pretty rubbish reputation as a towcar.   Performed poorly in the Towcar of the Year tests, and on their 55 mile test result (starting with fully charged batteries) it manag

Posted Images

I have had my PHEV for just over two years. 26000 on the clock now so it's well run in. Best part of the car is the tyre wear, still got 4mm left on them, looking to get to the 30000 if possible.

As I tow a caravan summer and winter I thought the four wheel drive of the PHEV might come in useful, which it does.

Now for the not so good bits, if you drive 20 miles to work and have a charging facility to get you back home, then the car will be fine. On the open road it's a different tale. Driving mine as gentle as is possible it has never been any where near 30 miles to a charge, nearer to 25 would be closer, with the van on the back, somewhere between 10 - 15 on electric. As for the petrol engine, solo 35 ish, with the van on mid 20s at best, it sups juice like it is going out of fashion.

Here is my question on open road driving solo, full battery charge gives 25miles, on petrol 35 miles to a gallon. Combined a total of 60 miles which is ok, but the battery is used so the next gallon gives 35 miles and so on. Where is the claimed 160 miles per gallon, it's beyond me. Not even considered the £5000 for a new battery pack into the equasion either.

I think the diesel Outlander would be a better bet than it's brother the PHEV. Deffo diesel next time around for me.

• Like 1

Good to read your post Angel1 from someone more experienced than me :)

In milder weather I'm seeing nr 30 perhaps with mine being newer model but nr 20 in cold

Mid 20s towing sounds pretty good for a petrol SUV - I used to get 17-22 with previous diesel Range Rover Sports towing and around 30 solo - my brand new Discovery Sport with latest diesel engine last year only managed 35 solo and cost about £10k more than the phev before tax breaks so you're figures sound excellent to me

I'm under the impression the batteries are under warranty for 8 years so unsure why you're concerned about cost of replacement unless you plan to keep beyond this plus I understand cells cost is coming down all the time

Every day I'm reading negative news about diesels and their future looks grim so I'm definitely not going to buy another - if I did high miles an ordinary hybrid would probably be better than a phev or EV though

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Good to read your post Angel1 from someone more experienced than me :)

In milder weather I'm seeing nr 30 perhaps with mine being newer model but nr 20 in cold

Mid 20s towing sounds pretty good for a petrol SUV - I used to get 17-22 with previous diesel Range Rover Sports towing and around 30 solo - my brand new Discovery Sport with latest diesel engine last year only managed 35 solo and cost about £10k more than the phev before tax breaks so you're figures sound excellent to me

I'm under the impression the batteries are under warranty for 8 years so unsure why you're concerned about cost of replacement unless you plan to keep beyond this plus I understand cells cost is coming down all the time

Every day I'm reading negative news about diesels and their future looks grim so I'm definitely not going to buy another - if I did high miles an ordinary hybrid would probably be better than a phev or EV though

Here is another bit of info. I have been looking today at swapping my energy provider, I feel the ***** are having my strides down. Here is the rub, projected cost of gas for 12 months, £550, projected cost of lecky £1100, taken from their webby site. Now I too believed the blurb of the cost of a charge at home was £1. Looking at my projected cost I feel that is far from the truth. Taking into account the cost of charging on the road with one of the free suppliers, they now want £6 for a 30 min charge. Diesel for me next time, it's a no brainer really.

Electric costs for me to date - £122

Sep £13

Oct £29

Nov £26

Dec £24

Jan £30

Petrol costs - £298 (I currently have a full tank)

http://www. fuelly. com/car/mitsubishi/outlander/2016/muddywheels/507870

So total £420 over 4287 miles

I spent £985 covering 6893 miles in last diesel so still looks like I'm saving money and helping the environment as well as saving VED and free parking in York (normally £2. 40/hr)

I charge at home and use petrol rest of time unless it's free or similar to home cost

Edited by Muddywheels

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from first holiday with the phev and no access to recharge facilities for week and half so forced to use petrol -

Averaged 34. 7 mpg sightseeing in the Cotswolds over 278 miles - best trip was 41. 4 over 40 miles with 5 adults and dog

Return trip today 210 miles achieved 38. 3 mpg cruising at 70 most of way

This was solo but still better than anything diesel I've owned and proves it's still good enough without electric imho :)

• 1 month later...

936 miles in March @ 139. 8 mpg - my best yet :)

Total cost for month £27 elec and £34. 75 petrol = £61. 75 - equivalent to about 80 mpg if allowing for electric cost

Warmer weather is helping now with all the heated toys off ;)

Just wish I could charge with panels or turbine then I'd be laughing even more :lol:

Edited by Muddywheels

Just returned from first holiday with the phev and no access to recharge facilities for week and half so forced to use petrol -

Averaged 34. 7 mpg sightseeing in the Cotswolds over 278 miles - best trip was 41. 4 over 40 miles with 5 adults and dog

Return trip today 210 miles achieved 38. 3 mpg cruising at 70 most of way

This was solo but still better than anything diesel I've owned and proves it's still good enough without electric imho :)

Our Kuga Diesel does very similar, do those figures include any towing?

No towing as we were hotel and self catering Keefmac

This was petrol only without electric for first time since September and probably a once or twice a year occurrence for me

Rest of year will be mainly electric which is why I switched and the anti diesel uncertainty

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm coming up for a year now and done 10k miles with no problems at all - been a long time since I could say that during LR ownership ;)

Best mpg to date now was just under 165 mpg and electric costs are between £22-30 pm

507870.png

Happy to answer any questions if I can help :)

Edited by Muddywheels

I'm coming up for a year now and done 10k miles with no problems at all - been a long time since I could say that during LR ownership ;)

Best mpg to date now was just under 165 mpg and electric costs are between £22-30 pm

507870.png

Happy to answer any questions if I can help :)

I don't understand how you can quote 165 mpg because we all know that simply isn't true. It's a completely pointless figure to quote, I could do similar with my Galaxy if it was being towed, it would be equally accurate but if no use at all.

Do a 500 miles trip and tell us brim to brim figure, then I'll believe it (note you'd also need to start with flat batteries too) that's the ONLY real world mpg figures that would be accurate.

Fuelly figures shown are brim to brim for petrol only and I have posted previously figures for trips with flat battery

I also said " spending between £22-30 pm on electric"

Nothing I've posted is untrue so I resent your post

Your galaxy being towed comment is ridiculous - I was offering experience to someone interested in a phev from someone who has one

Edited by Muddywheels
  • Like 1

The problem with figures for hybrids, particularly plug-in hybrids, is that the differing usage patterns give much wider variations than conventional cars - whether that's the old EU-NEDC figures, the new WLTP-RDE figures ot individuals reported figures.

Really there needs to be two sets of figures - the pure electric range and the "flat-battery" solely petrol/diesel consumption - both using the new WLTP-RDE method - that way potential owners can make their own judgement based on their own usage pattern.

• Like 1

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Ice is same - drive like a granny you will get high mpg - drive like a maniac you'll get low

I can get 30 miles on £1 electric - if I did that every day I'd use zero petrol

Lr claimed my last disco sport would do 53 mpg - it did 35 over 9 months

My fuelly figures are over 10 months and speak for themselves

Ice is same - drive like a granny you will get high mpg - drive like a maniac you'll get low

I can get 30 miles on £1 electric - if I did that every day I'd use zero petrol

Lr claimed my last disco sport would do 53 mpg - it did 35 over 9 months

My fuelly figures are over 10 months and speak for themselves

Yes - but they only speak for YOUR usage pattern.

As does everyone's - a salesman motoring up and down motorway in a diesel will get different mpg than a mum using similar car for school run and city driving

• Like 1

Fuelly figures shown are brim to brim for petrol only and I have posted previously figures for trips with flat battery

I also said " spending between £22-30 pm on electric"

Nothing I've posted is untrue so I resent your post

Your galaxy being towed comment is ridiculous - I was offering experience to someone interested in a phev from someone who has one

I'm sorry you resent my post but for example:-

Do a 35 mile journey to work, 30 miles on electric and then recharge, same journey home the mpg figures are meaningless. It would be more representative to say £x on electricity and £y on fuel. To quote mpg which is completely irrelevant.

Which is why I have posted figures for different scenarios on this thread, electric costs and if you click on fuelly tab you can see each tank

None of my figures were on a trailer or being towed

At the end of the day I'm spending a lot less on fuel and electric combined than I did previously on diesel and hopefully causing less pollution on my trips

Which is why I have posted figures for different scenarios on this thread, electric costs and if you click on fuelly tab you can see each tank

None of my figures were on a trailer or being towed

At the end of the day I'm spending a lot less on fuel and electric combined than I did previously on diesel and hopefully causing less pollution on my trips

And that's great, the PHEV is a good concept and a step towards the future. I just have a real issue with mpg figures quoted which are unrealistic and definately not achievable by a huge margin.

Your mpg figures are pointless, you could say a 1000mpg if you want if all of the journey was done onbelectric within the range that you do, that's the point I was making, the figure is of no use whatsoever.

Mpg on fuel only, range on electric and the cost of that electric are the real figures that are relevant along with battery life, replacement cost and depreciation which is usually quite high.

As I said already 53 mpg claimed wasn't achievable on my last diesel - I only managed 35 so the problem lies with the testing not the phev

I'm not going to keep repeating myself but with 5 year warranty/8 years battery I'm not losing sleep and not noticed any reports of battery replacement on prius since launch in 97 or phev since 2013

I paid just over half the price of my last diesel LR for the phev and with the headlines on diesel/petrol depreciation would worry me more on a diesel now

https://www. theguardian. com/environment/2017/jul/26/electric-cars-everything-you-need-to-know

Don’t the batteries die after a few years?

Makers of electric cars sell their models with a warranty for the battery, which will lose capacity over time. In the case of the Nissan Leaf, it’s covered for five years or 60,000 miles, rising to eight years or 100,000 miles for the version with a bigger battery. But yes, eventually you will need to either buy a new battery – by which time their cost should have fallen – or sell the car on.

Electric cars have been around long enough in the UK for a second-hand battery market to be emerging. One energy company, Eaton, is already selling used electric batteries for reuse as household batteries.

Will my diesel car lose value?

Probably, yes. One car-buying website says bad headlines for diesels, which on average sell for £7,000 used, are causing prices to fall faster in value than before. Motorway. co. uk predicts that over the next year the average price of used diesel cars could fall as much as 15% compared to their current depreciation rate.

Edited by Muddywheels

I've owned my PHEV for 15 months Muddywheels and I totally agree with your numbers. Mine are very similar. I have a 30 mile commute, can charge at work for the return - and in summer can do the whole journey on 100% battery. My last fill showed 170mpg. My best so far was 178. 8mpg. I do tow with the car, I have a 1500 kg van and the car behaves superbly. You have to make sure you use the charge button when towing - yes it uses more petrol but it ensure you have battery power for the entire journey, it does not run out after 15 miles. Last year I towed the van down to Bordeaux - so had to fill up a few

times on the way down - 3 if I remember correctly, the last being 3 miles from our destination. I was worried initially about the battery depleting entirely, so was charging during breaks whilst stopped. I needn't have worried the car still performed brilliantly without any charge, and its intelligent enough to not let it get to low and will charge to top up. I have never experienced turtle mode in 25k miles, and have not had any issues with pulling away when towing the van. In fact I would say it is far more capable than my Honda CRV 2. 2 diesel was - which blew the turbo whilst towing a lighter van. Boy was that an expensive holiday!!

When I got the car I switched over to Economy 7 - so currently only charge at home at night. The car is telling me it costs 44p to fully charge - which is a huge saving on the 40mpg I used to get on driving to work in the diesel CRV.

I would definitely buy another!

• Like 1

The problem IS the EU testing method - what's needed for PHEVs are two sets of figures, one giving range on electric the other giving open road use purely on petrol/diesel - then prospective owners could apply the figures to their own particular journey patterns.

The problem IS the EU testing method - what's needed for PHEVs are two sets of figures, one giving range on electric the other giving open road use purely on petrol/diesel - then prospective owners could apply the figures to their own particular journey patterns.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Well it's a good job the EU testing method works for petrol and diesel so buyers can make an informed choice then - oh wait a minute. ........